It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• My Pm First Appointment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
    My Pm First Appointment

Thanks to everyone here for the advice before I had my first PM appointment.

The appointment went great.DR. B was wonderful.I had forgot he had done steroid injections 3 years ago requested by my neurosurgeon.

The appointment was a month ago, I have been very busy. DR.B thought a
    spinal cord stimulator was my best option,but it was entirely up to me.

I reveiwed the CD and info at home and at my last appointment ,I declined at
    this time.Which he was okay with.

I didn't get to see DR.B he was running behind last week so I seen the head PM DR. Whom was very pleasant.My appointment had to be rushed as I had another appointment scheduled.

The PM office left a very sweet and sincere message on the answer machine apologizing for the delay.

The DRs at the PM clinic feel that my neurologist has the pain meds where they should be.I am dilaudid and oxycodone for the B/T pain.I have no clue
    what dilaudid is compared to.

DR.B feels that a RHYZOTOMY would be in my best interest,but will be done at several levels on each side of the lumbar do to adhesive arachnoiditis and
    the multiple sclerosis.

The appointment went very well,the PM DR. was a gem,had a great sense of
    humor and so far its been smooth sailing.

His office called this morning and waiting insurance approval. for the RHYZOTOMY I explained that I have developed severe muscle spasms and my spasmatic meds are not helping at this point.His nurse said they will get back with today.

After hearing so many horror stories of PM clinics and DRs, I was worried about having a PM DR. controlling all my meds.The clinic said before they change anything it would be discussed with my neurologist first.

I am so glad they are working as a team.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: My Pm First Appointment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by duttin View Post
    After hearing so many horror stories of PM clinics and DRs, I was worried about having a PM DR. controlling all my meds.The clinic said before they change anything it would be discussed with my neurologist first.

I am so glad they are working as a team.
    Glad to hear everything went well. People have to remember that there are lots of compassionate, good PM Docs out there....We just tend to hear the bad stories. It's like going to a restaurant for dinner....Very few people request the manager to tell him it was good....But, will tell them it was bad. Same concept with PM, I think.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Ex

Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Duttin, I'm so very glad it went well. As Ex said, we rarely hear the good PM stories. I have been one of the ones who has been very lucky in that regard. I had some difficulties in the beginning, but once I found the right one, it has truly been a blessing.

Take care and keep us posted as to your progress. CMP/MM

Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Congrats on your appt and I pray things continue to go well.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Executor, you are absolutly correct on the restaurant analogy. After the first
    appointment,I thanked him for being so kind and understanding.

I also thanked him for working with my neurologist and family DR.,this is very important to me.

Having a PM DR. that is understanding is worth its weight in GOLD!!! He called me today as I had a few questions and he stated that he will run everything by my neuro first as he won't step on his toes.

I'm very blessed with my team of DRs. being 20 minutes from home.

CMP, I was terrified about going to this appointment, many in my small community has had many bad things to say about DR.B. But with all DRs, the DRs are only as good as the patients and visa -versa.

DR.B. made me feel comfortable and relaxed and was a straight shooter,he told me I'd be on pain meds the rest of my life and he felt that a psych evaluation would benifit me since I am living with 2 incurable diseases and I'd beable to discuss how they have effected me daily.Which would be good,I've really never discussed them with anyone other than my mother.

DR.Pepper, thanks for the prayers. I have lurked here on the PM boards for many months and I feared posting about my pain and seeing a PM DR. with so many stories .I tolerated my pain for many many months and I finally talked with my neurologist about my pain,I started out on oxycodone,it was very short lived ,he tried another pain med--methadone I took it for 4 days and ended up in the hospital with bad reaction.Pulse rate of 168 and a fever of 104.7. Now I'm on dilaudid.

I didn't start any pain meds until December,I was raised that you work through the pain and so forth.Plus many on my fathers side have had additions to alcohol,gambling and other things.When I was a child my mother had an addiction to valium,it was terrible as a teenager seeing her go through withdrawls.

But through this forum I have realized that its okay to take the meds,the difference between addiction,tolerance , dependence and so forth.

Everyone here has given me the knowledge and courage through their post to see the PM DR.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Duttin,

I am so glad that this PM doc is working out for you! Isn't it great when things go like they are supposed to? I know how you feel about pain meds, and addiction in your family. My Mom not only abused pain meds and anti-anxiety meds like Xanax, all my life, she actually overdosed and died a few years ago. When I found myself in pain and needing narcotic pain meds, it was so hard for me to take them. I have gotten better, but there is always a struggle, and I have to remind myself that I am not my Mom.

Good luck to you, and please keep posting!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Closed Thread