It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• How Does Dilaudid Compare To Other Pain Meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
    How Does Dilaudid Compare To Other Pain Meds

I'm Fairly New To Pain Management Clinics. My Neurologist Is My Prescribing Pain Med Dr. And The Pm Dr. Is Satisfied With How My Neuro Has Handled My Pain This Far.

How Is 4 Mgs Of Dilaudid Compared To Other Meds.i Take It Ever 8 Hours And Oxycodone For The Break Through.

I Was Referred To The Pm Clinic For The Possibilities Of A Spinal Cord Stimulator And After A Long Discussion With The Pm Dr.we Have Decided That A Bilateral Rhyzonamy (sp) Through 4 Lumbar Sections Would Provide The Most Releif.

I Have Chronic Bilateral Adhesive Arachnoiditis And Multiple Sclerosis And They Seem To Feed Off Each Other Causing Great Pain In The Back And The Legs.hoping To Releive Some Of The Spasticity.

I'm Clueless On How Pain Meds Are Compared To Each Other

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
    JoJo921
    (male)

JoJo921 HB User
    Re: How Does Dilaudid Compare To Other Pain Meds

Dilaudid does nothing for me taken orally. Now if I am in the hospitol and it is administered through an IV it works wonderfully however I dont live in a hospitol so I'll just stick with my OC.........JoJo bb

Old 07-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Dilaudid's active ingredient is hydromorphone. It is roughly 7 times stronger than morphine, milligram for milligram. So you are taking the equivalent of 28mg morphine every 8 hours.

As far as potency goes, it ranks third behind fentanyl and Opana.

steve

Old 08-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
    xlc12295
    (male)

xlc12295 HB User

4 mg with vick es will work for a while. it addresses certen receptors for pain i started with 2mg didlaudid and vick es for breakthrough it worked for about 2 months. then i needed 4mg dilaudid to get the same effect. then 8mg ....you get the picture. the body producess chemicals to balance the effect of the new dose of dilaudid. i have 4 herneated disks.and the dilaudid was the only drug that helped. tryed everything includinf avinzer 120mg(long lasting morphine) and then fentenal patches 100mg with no help. i am 6 weeks out from a x-stop operation and am now cutting down on meds. down to 6 mg dilaudid and 2 vicks es a day. am getting better every day. I dont know what I would have done WITHOUT DILAUDID i went through years of pain for no reason Just 1 good PM willing to wright this was all the help I needed. Thank God for Dilaudid. Good Luck

Closed Thread