It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Blood Pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User
    Blood Pressure

I was being watched for my blood pressure a few years ago before I had my children. It leveled off when became pregnant with my first child and has continued to stay down since (over 4 years now).

I was at my PM doctor today and it was 135/96. I think that is pretty high. He said to just watch it but for now it is ok.

I am on Hydro and Neuronitin. Does anyone know if these drugs can raise your blood pressure? Again, my Dr. said he would just watch it.

Also, I hadn't taken my morning hydro yet because for some reason, my pain levels have been pretty low today. Can that cause the blood pressure to rise?

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
    stymie82
    (male)

stymie82 HB User
    Re: Blood Pressure

10sox, my BP was always on the low side. I was diagnosed with adhesive arachnoiditis last year and had much trouble with it going up to high levels until I was given sufficient meds to cover my pain. High pain levels can indeed cause BP to shoot up. I bought a cheap digital home BP monitor for around $25 and keep an eye on it regularly. My experience is that when my pain is under control, so is my BP.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I'm not sure about the drugs raising your BP, you could probably ask your pharmacist and they could tell you, but increased pain will almost always increase your BP.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

My doc used to double check to see if I wa breathing because mine was so low-lol. That was BEFORE surgery and pain meds.

I now have higher(tho no meds needed) blood pressure and have to take a diuretic for the fluid build up that also raises my BP.

My higher BP was attributed to more pain and the meds. I hope you find out waht is going on with yours very soon!

Blessings,
    Momz

Old 09-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I can tell you I am much the same. I have pretty low B/P, but since all this has occurred it can get up there abit, the pulse rate can skyrocket.
    It does make me wonder to about the meds, I have had days where I have my pain at a workable level but my B/P is up there. I can hear it in my ears.
    It was driving me abit crazy one day & decided to take my BP just to see & was shocked at the number. I usually dont hit the triple digits so it really threw me. That is a good question. If your pain level is at a decent number how much can the meds. effect the BP?
    Just thought I would let you know that I with you there. Take care, Sammy

Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User
    Arrow Re: Blood Pressure

Opiates can lower your BP because of the sedation involved but will raise your BP to the point of being able to cause a stroke - with my last bout of illness I was in so much pain that I could not lie down - I stood at the side of my stretcher crying - They gave me so much dilaudid that my bp dropped to 70/30, which was so crazy because I was a 10 on pain scale so my BP should have been way up there - It is difficult for health care workers to know exactly how to treat our pain - It is very important that health care providers know what they are doing with cp patients huggs Aver

Old 09-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User

How high does your blood pressure need to be to have a stroke? They did not seem all that concerned about it. But now I am!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

I am sure that the blood pressure is patient specific depending on many factors - I had a friend (56 years old) that had a kidney stone and she had a stroke with a blood pressure of 150/96 - there are risk factors: age, heredity, life style....... I just know of all the things that can happen, I do not want to have a stroke huggs Aver

Old 09-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

It is very patient specific with many factors, my 11 yr old son was in the ER and crashed with a BP of 220/140 from a streptococcal kidney infection and he didn't stroke out. He did have to stay in the PICU for 4 weeks on mainlined IV meds to keep his BP down though and now his normal BP is around 135/90.

Closed Thread