It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Restless body pre and post cervical fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
    lilydilly
    (female)

lilydilly HB User
    Restless body pre and post cervical fusion

Hi, 3 weeks ago I had a posterier cervical fusion at C2 C3, with hardware, to remove a large bone spur growing on my facet joint. I'm very happy with the surgery results and have been told I'm actually ahead of the "norm", as far as activity and movement etc. I'm coping fine with the effects of surgery as far as my neck is concerned, but I'm really desperate about a restless body feeling that is preventing me sleeping at night. I had this before surgery too, ever since my neck "went bad" on me. and I just assumed it was from the nerves in my neck being affected, or from the meds. Then for the few days in hospital and a fortnight after surgery the feeling went away completely. However it's now back with a vengeance. As soon as I try to go to sleep my whole body gets this twitchy crawly irritated, have to move feeling, and I toss and turn half the night.
    The physiotherapist said it was a result of the trauma to my central nervous system, and it might take a year to go away. She was understanding but had no suggestions of what to actually DO about it.
    I found other people with the same symptoms on the Restless Leg Syndrome board, but none of them mentioned having surgery or spine problems.
    Just wondering if anyone here has had it as part of cervical issues and if there is anything at all I can do about it. If it wasn't for this, I'd be able to enjoy the fact that my neck is now in recovery after months of pain. I'm so frustrated that just when I need good sleep to get my body back to health, I can't, because of this yukky feeling.
    Thanks anyone who can help.

Last edited by lilydilly; 10-19-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
    lilydilly
    (female)

lilydilly HB User
    Re: Restless body pre and post cervical fusion

I have heard the magnesium and calcium helps, and I've been taking that, but no effect.
    The surgeon suggested a "good slog of alcohol", but this doesn't do a thing.
    Also, I tried valium and it was actually worse than ever that night.
    Help!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

At this point I think you need to give it another 6-8 weeks to heal but then if it persists you might want to see a regular neurologist.

Sunshine

Old 10-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
    lilydilly
    (female)

lilydilly HB User

Thanks Sunshine.
    My body has had a battering, and it's actually not so desperately acute since I started taking magnesium and calcium. I also have a "nerve tonic", which is just natural supplements to heal the nerves, so I'm hoping that might have an effect too.
    I'm well enough to take longer walks every day too, so perhaps that is helping.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
    usps
    (female)

usps HB User

Hey Friend,,,,I had L5 S1 disaster surgery....weeks and months went by when I had the crawling out of my skin feeling....If vitamins or anything helps, ,please tell me...

**REMOVED***thanks,,,,,,carol

Last edited by Mod08; 11-10-2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Do not ask multiple times the same question and always start your own thread to ask questions of your own.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
    artL80
    (female)

artL80 HB User

Doctors don't seem to believe me when I tell them "It's just like RLS but in my back". I had a spinal fusion for degenerative disks years ago and this feels like it is right IN that section. I take Requip for RLS and it is the only thing I've found that helps. I take it 4 times a day. I've had every test there is on my back and they just say "Your back isn't that bad". No ... it isn't. It's not a backache or protruding disk ... it feels like electric shocks and I can't sit still. Relate it to sticking a cattle prod on a raw nerve. From the beginning I have always thought RLS stems from the spine and I still believe that. Without Requip, I can't sit, stand or lie down. I'm active healthy and strong for an old lady with arthritis but this is unbearable as soon as the Requip wears off. Where do YOU find a doctor who believes what you tell him? It's kind of nice to know that I'm not the only one, but I sure wish you luck getting it fixed!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I have something similar in my legs and they are looking to see if it's arachnoiditis.

But I can tell you I used to get similar symptoms on narcotics. I've been on them so long that's not an affect anymore

Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #8
    JClooking
    (female)

JClooking HB User

Wow, finally some people who are describing exactly what I've been going through. Three years ago, I started having these sensations also, on and off and more so when I tried to go to sleep. I couldn't sleep at night and my doctor treated with with Darvocet because I was having some muscle cramping in my upper back/cervical area, also. Although the creepy crawlies went away with the meds., my pain in my back/neck increased and finally ended up on Oxy & Norco to deal with the pain. I had cervical spinal fusion (single level) in December (disk was impinging on my spinal cord and some arthritis) and my pain is finally diminishing but whenever my pain meds start to wear off, the creepy crawlies start again. I was starting to think that it was withdrawal but I don't think so because this all started before I was on narcotics and I would think you'd have to be way off on your meds. to put you in withdrawal. I take Oxycondone every 8 hours and start getting that feeling at about 7 hours.

Closed Thread