It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Recall on fentanyl patches (DURAGESIC, SANDOZ)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Exclamation Recall on fentanyl patches (DURAGESIC, SANDOZ)

I just wanted to inform any of the fentanyl patch users that there has been a recall since December 2008, which I just learned about. Here is the specific information:

****TWO lots of 50 mcg/h Fentanyl patches are being recalled as a precaution. One recalled lot is labeled as brand DURAGESIC (lot # 0817239). The other recalled lot is labeled as unbranded fentanyl transdermal system marketed by Sandoz Inc. as a generic (lot # 0816851).

A small number of patches from these TWO lots may have been cut along one side of the drug reservoir during manufacturing. This defect could result in the possibility of gel being released from the gel reservoir into the pouch in which the patch is packaged. If you find that your patch is in the recall then call the customer service number on your box or call your pharmacist.

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Re: Recall on fentanyl patches (DURAGESIC, SANDOZ)

Here is what happened when I just went to fill the 50mcg fentanyl patch at my pharmacy. They wanted to give me the Mylan brand because they are out of the Sandoz brand due to the recall and don't know when they will be getting any in. There is no way in h*ll that I am going to get the Mylan so I will have to pay the extra money for Duragesic brand. Luckily they had the Duragesic brand because they are included on the recall too. Just wanted to let everyone know and see if anyone else is able to get the Sandoz generic?

brian

Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hey Brian....Good to see you posting again!

You are very lucky to get your patches...Once there is a recall on them, the inventory just about vanishes overnight.

When this happened with the 25s back in March of 08, it wrecked havoc on the supply chain. What happened was Docs started moving patients to (2) 12.5, so that inventory vanished. Other Docs moved patients up to 50s, which put a strain on it. Those on 50s moved to 75s and so on.

According to my pharmacist and research I've done (can't post links), there is still as shortage of some dosages due to that recall...And, it's been a year! Now, this recall...Wow!

Everyone on any controlled med should know that the Fed Gov't controls manufacturing...An allocation for each manufacturer. Thus, when something happens to one manufacturer, the others can't respond due to restrictions on supply....Demand far exceeds supply, thus the shortage. One month last Spring, it took me 4 different pharmacies, thus 4 different scripts and 4 co-pays just to get my months meds! Needless to say, I switched LA meds the next month.

Everyone on the patch needs a plan...A couple days before you go to your next appt...I would call around pharmacies to see what the inventory levels are and then tell your Doc so he/she can write you a script accordingly. Otherwise, it will be luck or fate as to whether you get your meds.

Since the 50s are on re-call, it will put pressure on the 25s as Docs will now write for twice as many patches as needed (2 x 25) and the 75s will be get pressure because some will be forced upwards if they can't get the 25s...Or some Docs will just move them up.

According to the drug shortage list put out by the Am. Society of Health System Pharmacists, Janssen (Duragesic) and Sandoz have full availability on 25s and 12.5s, but all other dosages are on backorder with no release date. It's important to note that Janssen makes Sandoz for Sandoz so that's why they are both having the same issue.

Watson indicates limited supply due to increased demand and has product on allocation based on sales history.

Mylan, of course, has full supply.

Best of luck with this...Please let me know if I can help further.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thank God they had 50's in the Duragesic brand. I ended up paying $45 but that is worth it so I don't go through withdrawal & increased pain on the Mylan brand. This is ridiculous and I will consider the Watson brand next month but I am sure many patients are going to do the same thing.

brian

Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Hey Brian, last month I had to get mylan(YUCK) because my pharmacist couldn't get the Duragesic Brand and I am on 75mcg. She didn't know why. I call tomorrow to make sure they ordered my meds so I'll know if I can get brand this month. I sure hope so!

Melissa

Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Watsons are hard to find because they are very expensive. Thus, the pharmacies often lose money on that particular brand.

When pharmacies submit their rebates to insurance companies, they are reimbursed he difference between "avg wholesale cost" of the entire med class and what the particular med they've dispensed actually costs. So, if a med is very cheap, it is cheaper than the avg wholesales cost for that class of meds, so the pharmacies make more money. Conversely, if a med is expensive (in it's class) it's more expensive than the avg wholesale cost (of all the meds in that class), thus the pharmacies make less money, or sin some cases, actually lose money dispensing it.

It's no secret that Mylan is the cheapest patch in the patch class, and this is why nearly everyone stocks it. Watson is the highest, so it's hard to find. My pharmacist won't stock Watson because it's so expensive, and so much greater than the "avg" wholesale cost, that he loses money on each script...He's better off NOT selling it.

Best of luck to you with this.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Hey Ex, my pharmacist said exactly the same thing.

Melissa

Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey guys, I just talked to my pharmacist and she can get the 75mcg so I don't know what happened last month but I'm glad they are now available.

Melissa

Old 02-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Hey Melissa...Caution...Just because your pharmacy got them, doesn't mean the industry is out of the woods. According to the research I've done, the 50s, 75s, and 100s are on long term backorder with no release date.

Your shipment may have been released some time ago and trickled down through the supply chain...or were returned to the MDC from another store.

You could call the company to be safe and then you'd know for sure.

Take care,

Ex

Old 02-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

You would think that they would have this type of issue/problem fixed by now. This has been the 3rd or 4th time this has happened since I started wearing the patch 1 1/2 years ago. This is absolutely ridiculous. I did just put one of the Duragesic patches on last night and it seems to be working better than the Sandoz patch so you might be right Ex about the 20% rule.

brian

Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post

I did just put one of the Duragesic patches on last night and it seems to be working better than the Sandoz patch so you might be right Ex about the 20% rule.
    I don't mean to be crass, but I know I'm right..Please don't take that the wrong way. You will notice a difference between Duragesic and Sandoz. You'll notice it the most when and if you go back to a generic....Lowering the dose by 20%. That's when I was convinced. I got my Doc to specify "DAW" or dispense as written....Or "medically necessary" works. This may get you the lower co-pay....But $45 isn't that bad...When I took brand, I had to pay the cost difference between generic and brand, or about $150....But it was worth it. I felt so much better.

I also think the brand has better glue....sticks much better. They either put better glue, or more of it when producing the brand.

Best of luck to you,

Ex

Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Geez EX, rain on my happy dance LOL. I had no idea they were on back order. Do you know if it is just a production issue or something else?

Hey guys I just called ortho-mcneil-janssen and they said as of Feb. 6th all strengths are available and went out for distribution so I hope that's good news.

Melissa

Last edited by Boxerluver; 02-12-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added new info

Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    I don't mean to be crass, but I know I'm right..Please don't take that the wrong way. You will notice a difference between Duragesic and Sandoz. You'll notice it the most when and if you go back to a generic....Lowering the dose by 20%.

....But $45 isn't that bad...When I took brand, I had to pay the cost difference between generic and brand, or about $150....Ex
    Hmmm getting a big head are we I'm just kidding, yeah I know you are right which is why I said that. You know I just found that you can get up to $40 off with a coupon you can print off the manufacturer's site. I found that the day after I get it filled, that is my luck Well anyway I will definitely use that next time and then I can get brand for $5, yeah that's using my head!!! hee hee

brian

Old 02-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boxerluver View Post

Do you know if it is just a production issue or something else?
    Hey Melissa....Check out my reply in the thread....Post # 3...I outline what happens when one of the strengths is recalled.

Take care,

Ex

Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

OK, got it now EX, thanks!

Brian, exactly, that's a lot to save. I hate paying 40 or 50 bucks more for mylan!

Melissa

Closed Thread