It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Neurontin for nerve pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
    BolJamR
    (male)

BolJamR HB User
    Neurontin for nerve pain

My 80 year-old mother has severe lumbar stenosis, which causes her terrible pain that shoots down her legs. Her pain medication does little to relieve this pain, and epidural cortisone shots have provided her no relief. Her pain doctor recently prescribed her Neurontin for the radicular pain. I was curious to hear of anyone's experience with Neurontin for this kind of pain. Is is beneficial? Are there many side-effects...etc. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: Neurontin for nerve pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BolJamR View Post
    Her pain doctor recently prescribed her Neurontin for the radicular pain. I was curious to hear of anyone's experience with Neurontin for this kind of pain. Is is beneficial? Are there many side-effects...etc. Thanks in advance for your replies.
    What dose is she on?. I'm taking neurontin 800mg and sometimes when the weather changes I take more. It DOES help. Neurontin is for nerve pain. But it's not enough you know to get rid of all this horrible chronic pain.

NOTE: some people here in this board say it can cause depression. It didn't cause me any depression but just wanted to warn you.

Together with Neurontin she needs to take good narcotic pain meds that works for her. As I said before, neurontin on its own is not enough.

I wish your mom will get better!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
    stymie82
    (male)

stymie82 HB User

I have been on Neurontin for more than three years. It is one of my meds helps give me the quality of life that keeps me going dealing with every day intractable pain. I have adhesive arachnoiditis which causes nerve pain in both legs. Some folks get brain fog from it, but I have no side effects and take 800 mg X4=3200 mgs per day. Hope it works for your beloved Mom.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Watch out for any side effects such as dizziness especially in someone her age. If she does well, and doesn't have adverse side effects, neurontin can definitely help nerve pain.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

It's definitely helpful for my nerve related pain, I take 1800 mgs a day and I believe I started out at 900 mgs a day. At first it really made me feel strange and kind of out it (real spacey like). However, once I adjusted to it, it really helped. So, your mom should definitely be aware that it will initially make her feel a little out of it and be careful (especially taking the medication initially).

I hope the Neurontin helps your mother's nerve pain.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I was on Neurontin and it did little to relieve my nerve pain and I was on dosages as high as 3600mg/day. I was switched to a similar medication in the same class called Lyrica and it works much better for me. However, everyone is different and reacts differently. I with the Neurontin did work because at least there is a generic and it's pretty cheap while Lyrica does not have a generic yet but I think that it is due soon.

Make sure the doctor starts your mother out slow as this is a medication that is started at a low dose usually 300-600mg and titrated up as tolerable. Be wary of side effects including dizzyness, blurred vision, memory loss(forgetting things easily), spaced out (feeling like you had a couple of drinks) feeling. I doubt this medication alone will help your mother but the doctors try the anti-convulsants (the class this medication & Lyrica are in) and anti-depressants before they usually prescribe any type of narcotic medication. Tell your mom to keep up hope and it can take months to years to find the right medication cocktail that brings her pain down to a tolerable level and she can handle the side effects well enough. Keep us posted.

brian

Old 01-06-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
    BolJamR
    (male)

BolJamR HB User

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post. The doctor started my mom on 100mg of the Neurontin at night for 3 nights, then 100mg twice a day for three days, then the 100mg three times a day, so she would get used to it. Then titrate upwards as necessary. We are both very hopeful this will provide her some relief from the radicular pain she is having.

I should have mentioned that she is on 30mg of Methadone. It really wasn't doing much for her leg pains, so that's why the Neurontin was added. I hope it helps because the side effects of Methadone are bothersome and increasing the dose would just make it worse. I think you have to be careful with any medication when treating the elderly.

Again, thank you for your input and information. I now know what side-effects to look for (doctors rarely bother to tell you about those. LOL) I will keep you updated on her progress. Wishing you all a painless day.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
    lacy1893
    (female)

lacy1893 HB User

I am one of those who had the side effect of severe major depression with neurontin. But, I have to say that I used it for years before this side effect started. I was taking other meds; so, it was possible that it was in combination with another drug...but, it definitely was caused by neurontin. Whenever I would stop neurontin the depression would go away...after about 3 more months on it would come back. I tried 3 times before I finally stopped completely.

But, neurontin does work miracles and I have to say that I would be willing to take it again for a few months, if I needed to. I would just take it until I felt the symptoms come back, if my pain became intractible again.

I just want people to know about this side effect; so, they don't wonder why they are feeling so depressed. They can then stop the neurontin if this occurs. However, if there is a history of suicide attempts,etc. I would not risk it because I am here to tell you that the depression was so incredibly deep...it was unbelievable.

Just keep an eye on your Momma!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
    BolJamR
    (male)

BolJamR HB User

Lacy,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Neurontin. I'm so very sorry you suffered such a deep depression from this drug. It's a shame that a medication that can be so helpful for pain can cause that kind of terrible side-effect. Having dealt with depression myself, I almost think I'd rather have the physical pain than the mental.
    Considering my mom's age, I'm especially concerned about side-effects. The elderly can experience them even at lower doses. I'm glad her doctor decided to titrate upwards slowly. And thanks to you, and others here on this board, I know what to look out for.
    I will keep everyone updated on her progress. And again, thank you for sharing your experience. It's been very helpful.
    Best of luck on your journey.

Closed Thread