It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Arachnoiditis? Anyone had this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Arachnoiditis? Anyone had this?

I have some odd "jello" feelings in my legs without weakness and the docs think it's arachnoiditis. It is caused by an inflammation of the arachnoid lining, one of the 3 linings that surround the brain and spinal cord. This inflammation causes constant irritation, scarring, and binding of nerve roots and blood vessels.

If anyone has any information or experience with this I'd appreciate any information you can share.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Arachnoiditis? Anyone had this?

I'm curious why your doctors suspect arachnoiditis? I assume it is not just because of the "jello" feelings you have in your leg....Arachnoiditis can usually be seen on a MRI, although according to the NIH, it is one of those things that is "under-reported" and many spine doctors are not aware of it, or are not looking for it.

The symptoms of arachnoiditis can be similar to those of epidural fibrosis. As I understand it, the difference is that in arachnoiditis, there is swelling inside the dura, whereas with epidural fibrosis, there is scarring that occurs outside the dura. EF is what we commonly refer to as scar tissue or adhesions.

Another difference is that EF is usually more localized...like wrapped around one spinal nerve root, whereas arachnoiditis tends to cause more generalized pain...like the entire legs burning, stinging, etc.

Dr. Charles Burton, who is located in the Twin Cities is regarded as the leading expert on arachnoiditis. I believe he discovered and named it.

I hope your doctors are wrong and that your jelly feelings are caused by something else.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
    maltluver
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
    Re: Arachnoiditis? Anyone had this?

I sure hope that the doctor is wrong. The big "A" is not something I would want to deal with. I don't have it, but have read much about it and the description of the pain is no something I would wish on anyone. I never read anything about the jello feeling you describe, only severe pain....so maybe there is something else going on.

I did once have a bout with something my ex-doctor called arachnoiditis...it was horribly painful and I could hardly stand up without excruciating pain . I think I was simply badly inflammed, as nothing I have read indicates a cure for this, and a round of steroids took care of the problem.....one reason he is my "ex" neurosurgeon.

I so hope this is a temporary problem.

Carol
    Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Closed Thread