HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Arachnoiditis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/arachnoiditis/)
-   -   Unexplained "new" pain after a Caudal Injection (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/arachnoiditis/842633-unexplained-new-pain-after-caudal-injection.html)

Brnt2acrisp 04-04-2011 08:50 AM

Re: Unexplained "new" pain after a Caudal Injection

Hi Baybreeze,
Wow, you have been through hell and then some. I'm glad that your surgery has helped you to regain some quality of life back. You went through so much to get the answers, I guess I'll have to keep riding this one out. I know something is wrong, and like my first 2 years, I'll just keep repeating myself until I find a Dr. willing to listen. I've spent the last 3 days in unbelievable pain in the lower back- it feels like it's going to pop- if I even move slightly - I have severe pain there ( the same pain I've had for years on and off- which they originally attributed to the L5/S1 herniation) ... I don't care what the new MRI says, there is still a problem. I was thinking about this all weekend- as I really couldn't do much more- I had the 2nd caudal injections in 6/2010 - no relief and now new pain. I had the new MRI done 8/2010, this shows improvement at L5/S1(which make no sense to me ) but also a new annular tear. In the beginning of Nov 2010- I took another fall down a flight of stair on my butt-( because my lt leg gave out ...again without notice ) went to my PC doc, to document and make sure I didn't break my rt wrist/ arm- I had instant pain in my back and bad bruising on my right wrist and arm. Since we know I already have back issues- we knew I'd have pain anyway - so we did nothing for that !???? I did have lower back x-rays done 2/2011 ( PM doc looking for a reason for new pain) this showed nothing . He requested a MRI w/contrast - it has been denied by the Ins. Carrier- ( because of the 8/2010 one done that showed improvement ) . I'm definitely no Physician here, but it has dawned on me that I may have re-injured my L5-S1 in the fall I took-X-rays don't show unless you have broken or fx something. I also think that the annular tear is possibly causing the new pain ( again I don't care if it's small - and shouldn't cause pain- EVERYONE OF US IS DIFFERENT ). I can't wait to be seen by the new PM doc and Ortho Surgeon- I hope that 2 new docs- starting out fresh will be open minded enough to look into every possibility- till we come up with the answers.

It took forever for you to find the answers- and to get some much needed help and pain relief- thank God for your new PM doc- finally some relief for you. How often can you get the ESI ? I hope that they will stay on top of this, and keep you at least a level of pain that is tolerable for you.

I will checkout some of Jennybc's post on here, to see if anything she has posted is helpful to me - thanks :)
Hope your day is a good one!
Chris

Hi tetonteri66,
Thank you so much for your input - I've been thinking this could be the case also. I hate it when you tell something that you've researched- and they brush you off. I don't want it to be the cause of the pain, but at least I would have a reasonable excuse to be feeling the way I do. I will hopefully be getting into see the new PM and Ortho Surgeon soon- really hope they have some answers to my pain issues. I have to find the answer- as this is totally driving me crazy, we should all receive some sort of diploma for the hard work we do - trying to find what works for us :) I have no intention of giving up- someone , somewhere will listen to me - and fight just as hard as I have to get the answers.
Have a wonderful day.
Chris

Baybreeze 04-04-2011 07:05 PM

I can tell you that disc tears certainly can cause pain. What happens is the gel material inside the disc leaks out (and it's not supposed to be there) and spreads over the nerves, which can burn and hurt. My last PM told me this plus I've done some research on it myself. Certainly you could have also reherniated after your fall or herniated at another level. X-rays wouldn't show any of the soft tissue, though. Sometimes you can even have back spasms that are so severe you can't move. I know I get severe spasms that end up spreading all over my body and my current PM couldn't believe how spasmed I was the last time I went there for an emergency visit in extreme pain. He sent me to a chiro (ughhh, they said I was one of the worst spasm cases they'd seen). Then again, spasms are a body's protective mechanism when something is wrong. It spasms so that you can't move and do further damage.

I think with the next PM you see, you might want to jot down some questions to ask beforehand. Tell them your history and about your fall, bring all your previous reports/films, and try to explain as best you can exactly where things hurt no matter if it's in your back or your legs, feet, etc. Tell them you're hoping to find someone that can help you find the origin of your pain. You really have to be as specific as possible. If you get nerve pain anywhere, like sharp stabbing pains, burning pains, pins & needles, etc, tell them exactly where and when it happens. Does it happen only in certain positions? See my current PM after I told him where I get most of my nerve pains, he already suspected an upper lumbar issue. He did tell me that pain from upper lumbar discs can refer to the groin, pelvic & hip areas. Sure enough, I had herniations there, so that's exactly where he gave me steroid injectiions. I got two injections at once, one into each side of the spine at that exact level and that helped my pain finally.

As far as how often one should get ESI's, there are differing opinions. Some say 3 times per year, some say 6 times per year. Then again, it can also depend on your condition. Same goes for oral steroids. They should only be taken for short amounts of time unless it's necessary. They can cause a lot of other problems if taken too long, though they sure are potent pain relievers. In my case, I had 4 ESI's between this past late Oct and early January. I had it done twice in my neck only one sided and two in my lumbar spine. I had bilateral injections both times in my lumbar spine though, so twice the medication. It did help me immensely, though. MY PM would have done another round, but I owe too much money from the original ones, and can't afford it right now.

Anyway, I wish you lots of luck with your new doctors and I really hope they can help you pinpoint where your pain's coming from.

Brnt2acrisp 04-06-2011 07:01 AM

Hi Baybreeze,

Yes, I totally agree with you on the tear/ and poss. reherniation of L5-S1, or some other damage from the fall. At yesterdays appt. I mentioned all of that to him- he said poss infection- So my doc, is working on getting the new PM to see me ASAP- will find out today if there is any progress with that ( keeping my fingers crossed ).

I'm writing everything down, all the pains, when, at what levels- the major flares- anything I can think of to help them come up with the right answer. The spasms are the worst though, you can't seem to find any relief- no matter what you do. So glad the ESI have worked for you- now it's just finding out how many will do the trick to keep your pain at a tolerable level :)
Gotta run- have a great day !!!:wave:
Chris

teteri66 04-06-2011 05:16 PM

Another possibility is that a joint itself has become infected from the caudal. I've been thinking about having a protein-rich plasma injection in my SI joint, and asked my surgeon what he thought about it, and if it was as "harmless" as I'd been told. He said the most damaging thing that could happen would be infection in the joint itself....I since you mentioned feeling like you're lying on a bulge, it occurred to me that perhaps one of the injections nicked the joint and introduced a foreign substance into the joint that is now infected....I suppose if the new doctor doesn't have any suggestions as to what is causing your issues, you could always ask if this infection might be a possibility....:dizzy:

Baybreeze 04-06-2011 05:45 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you can find out what's going on!

Brnt2acrisp 04-07-2011 05:41 AM

[B]Hi Tetonteri66,[/B]

Thank you, I will mention it. They always seem to say things like it probably isn't - you know - cause the chances of the happening are slim- well, don't just brush me off- and check it out ( [U]rule it out[/U]). There is something wrong there- I know- and I won't give up till they find it, and hopefully fix it. :) Thank you again for your advise on this one.
Chris

[B]Hi Baybreeze,[/B]

No go yesterday- my doc couldn't reach the PM doc- But he did leave a detailed message. I have another appt. with him this morning, hopefully they returned his call :)- will let you know what I hear. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. :)
Chris

Baybreeze 04-07-2011 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=Chris P;4725006][B]Hi Tetonteri66,[/B]

Thank you, I will mention it. They always seem to say things like it probably isn't - you know - cause the chances of the happening are slim- well, don't just brush me off- and check it out ( [U]rule it out[/U]). There is something wrong there- I know- and I won't give up till they find it, and hopefully fix it. :) Thank you again for your advise on this one.
Chris

[B]Hi Baybreeze,[/B]

No go yesterday- my doc couldn't reach the PM doc- But he did leave a detailed message. I have another appt. with him this morning, hopefully they returned his call :)- will let you know what I hear. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. :)
Chris[/QUOTE]

Definitely let me know what the new PM suggests to you and/or what treatment plans they may try!

Brnt2acrisp 04-08-2011 08:06 AM

Hi Everyone,
Still waiting for a call back from the new PM- the pain is a bit better right now- although lastnight and this morning I thought for sure it was starting all over again. The swelling seems to have gone down some, but the knot/ lump/or ball of soreness is still present. Hoping that this w/e goes smoothly, would like to get out and enjoy this milder whether :)- hope everyone here is feeling better, may you all have a great w/e !!!
Chris