It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• FRUSTRATED: Disc Tear or Epidural Fibrosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Smile Re: FRUSTRATED: Disc Tear or Epidural Fibrosis

I think that you should try all the conservative ,palliative suggestions given here. i.e. rest, heat, diet, supplements, Pt etc FIRST! Then with EMG check if nerve root irritation better, same or worse. ( EMG- thin needles in back& legs with a current, i think, that definitely tells if & which nerve effected) Then and only as a LAST resort if epidural fibrosis wont prevent getting steroid in exactly the perfect place, maybe i would try it.But, as permanent relief i dont think anyone could predict. Only time will tell. Tetere is super knowledgable & very helpful to so many, if you need a friend to listen it would be my privilege. Let all of us know your progress. Thanks, gmak P.S. This is just my opinion& your dr or a 2nd opinion dr could advice you better, especially if they order an EMG.

Last edited by gmak; 10-13-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: sounds too bossy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
    Calin
    (female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User
    Re: FRUSTRATED: Disc Tear or Epidural Fibrosis

Thank you so much for this information. I am glad you are getting rid of some of that numbness!

I

Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
    Calin
    (female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

I would say...yes, on the injections. I believe the scare of meningitis is over. You certainly can ask your doctor where their ESI medication is manufactured, but it surely will not be at the place that produced the ones that have made so many sick.

Everything has a risk, unfortunately. I would have another injection before surgery myself, for sure, and I was clearly frightened when that story broke. My orthopedic hospital posted a message on their website to patients, with info on where their injection medication is manufactured and to assure all who had received injections that they did not receive that compound. It was a relief.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
    Strike554
    (male)

Strike554 HB UserStrike554 HB User

Have any of you guys had any relief from an Epidural Steriod Injection? I had one before surgery and it did absolutely nothing. More than likely due to the disk material from the herniation being on my nerve.

This times a different story. There really is nothing hitting my nerve. Just epidural fibrosis abut s1 nerve root. Physiatrist said hopefully the ESI will break up the scar tissue and my body will reabsorb it.

Any advice or experience with injections is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody you all have been a great helP!

Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
    Strike554
    (male)

Hey guys,

Just an update. Certain movements such as coughing, bending over, etc cause an increase in the nerve pain for a split second and then it goes back to its normal state of pain.

Is this more characteristic of epidural fibrosis as opposed to disc tear or inflammation???

Remember I have epidural fibrosis ABUT s1 nerve root. So when I lay on my back like during the mri it just shows it touching it. When i do those certain movements (bending over, coughing, etc) it compresses.

DO you guys think thats it.

Thanks

Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #21
    Strike554
    (male)

Hey guys,

Just an update. Certain movements such as coughing, bending over, etc cause an increase in the nerve pain for a split second and then it goes back to its normal state of pain.

Is this more characteristic of epidural fibrosis as opposed to disc tear or inflammation???

Remember I have epidural fibrosis ABUT s1 nerve root. So when I lay on my back like during the mri it just shows it touching it. When i do those certain movements (bending over, coughing, etc) it compresses.

DO you guys think thats it.

Thanks

Closed Thread