It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Feel bad calling doctor office? let me know if you are nervous..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
    Guerrilla
    (male)

Guerrilla HB UserGuerrilla HB User
    Feel bad calling doctor office? let me know if you are nervous..

I wanted to get a thread started on this topic:

Should you feel like you are a bother when you call your doctor's office? Seems like I call all the time since my ALIF L5-S1. I'm calling about new symptoms or new pains or new this or new that....

Should i feel like I need to wait until my appointment to address issues> next appointment is in 3 weeks.

2 weeks post op yesterday.

Just looking for opinion. I always feel scared and nervous to call the office.

BTW these threads ROCK!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
    Re: Feel bad calling doctor office? let me know if you are nervous..

I think you should be able to call your doctors office if you are concerned about something especially something after going thru surgery.

But I think you need to really look at it objectively and think is the pain just part of the healing process and something to be expected?

Or is the new symptom something really drastic? Usually when sent home from the hospital they will tell you that if you notice the following......they will tell you what they are, then you should call your doctor immediately.

Is the new pain or symptom something that is reoccurring since the surgery and you find it is getting more and more severe.

I think you need to use your judgment on what you think is an issue.

Have you called your doctors office about symptoms that have been appearing and what has their response been upto this point? Have they told you that what you are experiencing is normal?

I think and can understand your concerns and worry when you feel something. Pin your doctor down on what things you should be concerned about during your recovery and what is the "normal" aches and pains of recovery. I think this will put your mind at ease.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
    Guerrilla
    (male)

"I think and can understand your concerns and worry when you feel something. Pin your doctor down on what things you should be concerned about during your recovery and what is the "normal" aches and pains of recovery. I think this will put your mind at ease."

I really like that!! I think that is exactly what I am going to do next visit, by then I'll be 5 weeks post op wahoo!

Yeah I dont just call for random stuff its usually like hey I have this new pain is that normal, or I called when I wanted to be taken off of one drug and put on something else.

I just tend to get nervous and always second guess even after the call if I should have waited to address that at the doc visit. But I mean 3 weeks is a lot of time and its my body, I want to be sure I do all I can to heal well and hope that my fusion goes well and is not a failure. You know what I mean?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Your concerns about your healing process are normal. I have been thru 7 spine surgeries; surgery for pancreatic cancer and surgery on my leg for a blood clot. So I understand very well your concerns during the healing process.

Yes it is your body and you wonder what is going on and what is normal and what is nt normal.

But just remember that the healing process can be different for each person it is a slow process as well.

After one of my surgeries on my neck it was a lengthy healing process. The surgery had to be done in 2 stages for a total of 12 hours then wearing a neck collar for 4 months post operation. And even after the collar was off there was physical therapy to deal with. It was probably a year long recovery process but looking back I slowly but surely saw that in some ways I was making progress.

Yes we have to take the bad days with good days in the recovery process.

I always believe that when dealing with your health or probably any other issues now that I think about it, there is this mind=body= spiritual connection. They all work hand in hand.

You will get thru this and when you are back to "normal" you will see that you have made progress. Just keep track of how you feel and talk to your doctor about your concerns. You'll know when something needs immediate attention. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Wink Re: Feel bad calling doctor office? let me know if you are nervous..

Hi guerilla again, Last night I " ate it" on a cracked driveway( whole story long, funny, sad) & i wouldnt or felt I couldnt call my dr. First, i called to schedule appt yesterday & all they had was 8 days AFTER I run out of meds. Do you think that made a difference? A fat no! She acted like I was being pushy just because I stated it was 8 days after the dr wanted to see me. Offended to the point I thought she would hang up, just because I said the above. So, last night if I called him after hours, which I have done once in 12 years when I fx'd my wrist into 96 pieces, it could appear as though I was making a pest of myself. That, could get me a call or letter stating that I would need to find another dr. Which i already had to do because he stopped seeing all his pain patients. But, took me back because new dr kept pushing procedures & surgeries that are contraindicated with my diagnosis. Yes, most drs are less educated about adhesive arachnoiditis than myself. So, go to ER right? Wrong. Im under contract, to only take meds Rx'd by my dr. So if i took ER medicine i would violate contract & that can get me a letter saying find a new dr. Such it is for the no rights, discriminated against chronic pain patient. If i stretch my meds, suffer to make what i have (originally a 2 week supply on november 24th)last til december 4, because of their own scheduling what do I get for that suffering? A drug screen that will test to see if Im taking as prescribed to make sure that Im not selling my medicine. And, of course due to stretching meds it will show a lower amount, I will again be subject to the same thing. A letter or told he wont be my dr anymore. And this is the " good" dr. Ive seen for 12 years. See, im s...... anyway I turn. And all i did was what I was told & then some. So, nervous? Clammy? Afraid? You bet, I live with incompatible with being alive pain everyday for 30 years & i hit cement HARD. Im simply unable to call,
    too risky. And I live & go to the Texas Medical Center, world renowned. And this is my situation.
    Thank you for your time in reading this book!

Last edited by gmak; 11-09-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typos

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
    Whynowthis (11-12-2012)
    Old 11-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Can you make the next appointment at the time of the current appointment so you are covered with your meds? Sometimes the office help gets upset because the doctor promises things to patients that the scheduling people just cannot accommodate.

You have to really plan ahead when on prescription meds you can't get by without.

Regarding calling the office: I agree with the other posters. Use common sense, but if it is important to you, call the office. There should be a PA or nurse who can help you. My surgeon uses email, which is really great. I probably emailed once per week when I was recovering from my last surgery. His nurse would ask the surgeon and respond, usually the same day.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Can you make the next appointment at the time of the current appointment so you are covered with your meds? Sometimes the office help gets upset because the doctor promises things to patients that the scheduling people just cannot accommodate.

You have to really plan ahead when on prescription meds you can't get by without.

Regarding calling the office: I agree with the other posters. Use common sense, but if it is important to you, call the office. There should be a PA or nurse who can help you. My surgeon uses email, which is really great. I probably emailed once per week when I was recovering from my last surgery. His nurse would ask the surgeon and respond, usually the same day.
    Hi everyone, Yes, exactly right! Make it @ the time you are leaving the office from just seeing the dr! If they are leaving late & staff says that they cant, they are already running late, i.e. 6:50pm, ask them to call you first thing in the morning. If they dont call by noon or whenever you cant take the stress anymore, call them. I just didnt want to, but, looking back it would have saved me 8 days of physical pain if I would have endured 5 minutes of that "sweating" it pain! Thanks

Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
    Guerrilla
    (male)

First off @gmak be careful!! Take the meds after ya walk not before LoL... No seriously no falls, I had my stumble 5 days post op and it scared the bejebus out of me!! and as long as you have a doc that treats the problem not the pain but does not ignore the pain we should all be good.. I was once told by a doctor I am here to treat the problem not the pain.. I thought wth am I supposed to do about the pain then haha.. but I have a good doc now so all is well there..

@pebblebeach you are a strong person!! I understand what you mean when you say "we have to take the bad with the good" I am starting to realize that now. Yeah I got the paper that says when to call the doc..

I had one night where I was in bad pain had taken a morphine pill and a valuim and still felt horrible so I called the exchange (it was a sat evening) I left the info and 2 minutes later I got a call back saying "talked to doctor and he does not want to change meds call his office on Monday morning" 1st thought, you did not talk to my doctor that quick 2nd thought fine we just set up a med management plan to take only 1 pill at a time, threw that out the window cracked the Sentry safe and took another of each.. called the office on Monday and told them exactly what I did, they tell me oh I'm not seeing any record of you calling the exchange..

Since then I have not wanted to call after hours and that is only one more reason why I am nervous about calling..

Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
    Guerrilla
    (male)

First off @gmak be careful!! Take the meds after ya walk not before LoL... No seriously no falls, I had my stumble 5 days post op and it scared the bejebus out of me!! and as long as you have a doc that treats the problem not the pain but does not ignore the pain we should all be good.. I was once told by a doctor I am here to treat the problem not the pain.. I thought wth am I supposed to do about the pain then haha.. but I have a good doc now so all is well there..

@pebblebeach you are a strong person!! I understand what you mean when you say "we have to take the bad with the good" I am starting to realize that now. Yeah I got the paper that says when to call the doc..

I had one night where I was in bad pain had taken a morphine pill and a valuim and still felt horrible so I called the exchange (it was a sat evening) I left the info and 2 minutes later I got a call back saying "talked to doctor and he does not want to change meds call his office on Monday morning" 1st thought, you did not talk to my doctor that quick 2nd thought fine we just set up a med management plan to take only 1 pill at a time, threw that out the window cracked the Sentry safe and took another of each.. called the office on Monday and told them exactly what I did, they tell me oh I'm not seeing any record of you calling the exchange..

Since then I have not wanted to call after hours and that is only one more reason why I am nervous about calling

Closed Thread