It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Microdiscectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
    Strike554
    (male)

Strike554 HB UserStrike554 HB User
    Microdiscectomy

Has anyone had a Micro D in the past and seen their MRI after surgery?

I started experiencing unexplained pain a year and a half after surgery in my leg (nerve pain). My mri shows no herniations or a reason for the cause.

It does say that I have MILD epidural fibrosis abut s1 nerve root.

I read on several websites that it is normal for scar tissue to form after back surgery near nerve roots. My MRI does not say it is binding my nerve root down. It just says it is abut.

Please let me know of any input...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Microdiscectomy

I sound like a broken record but I still think that a year and a half after surgery, scar tissue would not just now be causing the problems. Problems from scar tissue typically arise from about 6-12 weeks post surgery. When the patient gets better for awhile, and then starts going down hill, it is usually not scar tissue but another problem that was not addressed during the surgery. (or, a new issue that isn't showing up on MRI).

Everyone develops scar tissue post surgery. It is the body's natural response any time something is cut from the body. Scar tissue is just a bunch of collagen. When it grows in an organized fashion, it doesn't cause any problems...but sometimes the fibers get all tangled, and disorganized, and a tendril can grab a hold of a nerve or attach to an organ and then it will cause problems. This is called an adhesion...when the epidural fibrosis attaches to the nerve root, or an organ when it occurs in the abdominal area. If there is a lot of bright white stuff showing on the MRI, it might be the epidural fibrosis.... it tends to show up as white, kind of streaky looking stuff.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
    Strike554
    (male)

Teter,

I did a follow up with another physiatrist but from the same office. Lets just say he was a little nutty and not helpful one bit. He showed up ten mins late and did not seem to even have adequate time to review my chart before even seeing me. He is the physiatrist that is responsible for giving the ESI's at the office.

Long story short, he was very unorganized and extremely awkward. He printed off a picture from my mri and said he could see how epidural fibrosis may be making my nerves "clump together". HE WAS NOT HELPFUL ONE BIT.

I mentioned the racz procedure. His response was " ya i tried a catherter on a guy once and if you want me to try it on you I will" then he looked down for five mins and said ya i can try it. (I will never let that man touch my spine)

My mri says I have a very minor bulge but I do not believe it is touching my nerves. Also as far as epidural fibrosis is concenred the only time it causes problems is when it "adheres" to the nerve root. Wouldnt my MRI state that I would have adhesions binding it down? Mine just says its touching it.

HERE IS MY MRI AGAIN:

There was Intravenous gadolinium or "contrast added"

Findings: The alignment of the lumbar spine is within normal limits. The vertebral bodies are normal in height and signal characteristics. The conus medullaris terminates at the expected anatomic location of L1 and is normal in signal and configuration. The nerve roots of the cauda equina seperate in a normal fashion without evidence of adhesive change.

At the level of L5/S1 there is degenerative disc disease with partial loss of normal disc height and hydration. There has been interval left hemilaminectomy with removal of the previously seen central disc protrusion. Mild T2 hyperintensity and enhancement along the posterior disc margin is compatible with sequela of microdiscectomy. Small annular disc bulge is present without evidence of recurrent/residual disc herniation. Minimal enhancing epidural fibrosis abuts the descending left S1 nerve root sleeve. Spinal canal and neural foramen are patent.

The remaining levels demonstrate preservation of normal disc height and signal without disc herniation, spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal stenois.

Impression:
    Internal left hemilaminectomy and microdiscectomy at l5/S1 without evidence of residual/recurrent disc herniation. No spinal canal stenosis at any level.

I scheduled an appointment with an Orthoapedic Surgeon for a second opinion like you recommended. I will let you know what they say.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-20-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

"The nerve roots of the cauda equina seperate in a normal fashion without evidence of adhesive change."

This sentence from your MRI would indicate that there is no nerve clumping...but perhaps this physiatrist noticed something the radiologist missed. Nerve clumping is a sign of arachnoiditis -- which would explain your pain, IF you had it.

Hopefully the ortho spine doc can help determine what is going on.

Last edited by teteri66; 11-20-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
    Strike554
    (male)

Teter,

I have been doing a lot of research and I am beginning to believe what you said as well about scar tissue not being an issue. Although the docs say it can continue to form inside the body after surgery, alot of people do not believe it to be symptomatic.

I have a mild case. If my disc bulge was pressing on my nerve would my MRI say that? Also, if I had adhesions binding down the nerve root wouldnt the MRI say that as well.

Do you think maybe weak muscles and inflammation are somehow to blame?

Thanks

Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi strike, I agree with teteri, the dr that you saw that mentioned the word " clump" was not for you. And, the radiologist that read your MRI did mention that your spinal nerves appeared normal. Just to be on safe side, be sure to ask ortho to look at films, not just read the report & he could give you a definitive answer on scar tissue. However, if he doesnt, ask him if he would get another radiologist to look at your MRI? I feel that if you didnt trust the physiatrist he was probably wrong about the clumping, but make sure that you ask ortho, imho. Thank you, strike. I really want you to get answers & relief. Please post your updates. Thanks,gmakll

Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
    Strike554
    (male)

Hey guys,

Looking at my mri anyone can notice that my L5-S1 disc has diminished and it is black compared to the others. I am almost 26.

Do you think I will have to have a spinal fusion in the future?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi, strike, I never had a fusion b/c of my age he said it wasnt needed. I was 26. But, that was before they had artificial discs etc! If it was me, i would want my mri results read by another set of radiologists eyes! Hope that you do well over the holiday! Take care, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-21-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
    Strike554
    (male)

my neurosurgeon told me there was a 10% chance I would ever need another back surgery. This crazy phsyiatrist told me I would need a fusion?

Just kind of scared me a bit

Old 11-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear strike, No kidding! That would have scared me too! We want pain relief whatever it takes but a fusion after a microdiscectomy, wow, i get it! Funny he was the one who said clumped, he would do rasc & you would need a fusion.?! Imo, those dont go together in my thinking. You will get your answer. You have been through so much, hopefully only a little while longer. See what ortho says. Are you making a list of questions? List of all the things that you have been told about what is/ isnt wrong? Hang in there strike. Thank you, gmak

Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
    Strike554
    (male)

Gmak i have a list and an appt this Tuesday. I will keep you and teter informed!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Strike554 For This Useful Post:
    gmak (11-24-2012)
    Old 12-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi strike, Your appt is manana right? Please let us know hoe it goes. I have dr appt, too tomorrow. Will be thinking & praying for you! Thanks, gmak

Closed Thread