It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Surgery done I'm HOME

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
    lginfl
    (female)

lginfl HB Userlginfl HB User
    Re: Sugery done I'm HOME

PB, Really glad to hear you are starting to get some relief from pain. I know that as your Dr. gets the dosage "dialed in" you will have better days ahead! Don't know if I ever told you this; when I got my pump put in I was at the lowest weight allowed to even be considered for it. (criteria was min. 130 lbs.-I weighed 125) So try to imagine how that "hockey puck" protruded under my skin!!! You could see every bit of it. This year was my "end of service" & weighing only 100 lbs. (and unable to gain the necessary weight in time) I had to make a decision to have it replaced with the smaller pump or try to live without. As you know, I decided to live without it. By the grace of God I'm doing really well & drug free. He works in mysterious ways!!!!
    I still have my "hockey puck" as a souvenir!!! I told my Dr. I wanted it to use one day for target practice (joking with him) and after my surgery, he had it sterilized and gave it to me! I did not expect that but it makes a good paper weight now.
    Hope you got a laugh from that little bit of humor! Stay well & positive thoughts my friend!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
    lginfl
    (female)

posted twice…

Last edited by lginfl; 01-13-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: posted twice

Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
    Begora
    (female)

Begora HB User

Pebble, I appreciate the fact you reached put to ME when you are so freshly out of surgery! My prayers are with you that you are A-OKAY ASAP!!!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
    Re: Surgery done I'm HOME

LG:

Yes I knew you no longer had the pump. Didn't know about the weight requirment. I am the opposite of you and weight is by far not an issue for me. And yes I could imagine how noticeable it would be for you.

I still have the bandage over the pump so I cant tell how noticeable it will be for me. Time will tell. And yes it would make a good "hockey puck" or "paper weight."

Glad that you doing well without after having the larger pump removed. Just wondering though since you were at the "lower end" of the weight scale wouldnt they have gone for the smaller unit automatically rather then implanting the larger one?

Right now its 1:00 am in the morning. Before I went to bed I was having some discomfort but a majority of that was in the neck area, very little if any where the pump was placed. But here I sit and I am totally pain free. I did take hydrocodone to help with the neck issues so that may have helped. And yes the bed rest may have helped plus sleep to make me feel so good. I do find that if I am up and around then the pain does tend to kick in. For now I am enjoying the pain free feeling. More later.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #20
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Pebble Wow! I am so glad to hear the sigh of relief in your voice! It has surely been a looonnnggg wait for you. Great news! Sleep good friend.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #21
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I hope what I am about to say doesn't jinx me or put a curse on me. But I have had trouble sleeping for a long time. Up several times during the night. Trouble falling back to sleep. You guys know the routine.

Well last night I was up during the night, nothing new about that. But I actually feel as though I slept better last night then I have in years. I did sleep during the day which isnt the best thing to do.Expecially too much sleep during the day can interfere with your sleep at night.

But I feel more refreshed today and I cant remember when I have said that in the longest time.

So was I waking up because of discomfort. And since that is being reduced I am sleeping better? Time will tell how I do in the nights to come.

Hopefully I will be do less staring at the ceiling in the middle of the night.....

Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
    lginfl
    (female)

PB, You said that the catheter was placed in the thoracic area, right? That should also help all the way up to your neck! My cath. was at L3 level and I know that the med's travel all the way to the brain (to block pain signals).
    My first 10 years in PM was focused on neck & shoulder pain. After my pump was installed, I no longer had ANY neck pain. I truly believe it's just a matter of getting your dosage correct.
    Very happy to hear that you finally got a good nights rest! You are already seeing the signs of progress, just think how much better you'll feel when they get you "dialed in"!
    Take care…
    P.S. I really hope you don't believe in "jinx or curses".

Last edited by lginfl; 01-14-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: add comment..

Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #23
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

LG.

The catheter was at T-10. I was under the impression from my PM that it would NOT help the cervical area. I was told that where it was placed would help the mid back and low back NOT the cervica area. I think it goes down not upward the medication.

In the trial though I was getting SECONDARY relief in the neck but that is not the primary target.

Right now I feel relief in the low back. My neck is bothering me but maybe not as much.

I am seeing the PM as a follow up on Wednesday. Since I had an MRI of the neck and thoracic area done we will discuss the results and see what treatment options there are for those areas.

Seems like we have different information on what areas will be helped from the pump. Im thinking the placement will help the lower areas and youre thinking it will help higher up.

Not sure why I was told what I was but I know what I am feeling also from where it was placed.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
    lginfl
    (female)

PB, I'm sure there have been a lot of changes since my pump was installed. But I know that the main idea of it is to block the pain sensors that go to the brain. I can't imagine how or why they would put the catheter in any other way than facing up. Good thing is that you got the "newest & best catheter". When mine was explanted, the catheter had shifted out of place somehow.
    These are all good questions to write down & go over with your doc! Knowledge is key!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

I was just checking out the implant and if I am right it is Synchromed II by Medtronic. I think the minimum dosage that it can deliever is 0.48 mL (millileters) per day if I read it right. I was just skimming though. Will clarify with doctor as to how much medication is being delivered to me and how much per day.

I am not sure what changes there were since you had the implant. But the impression I got it could only work on one particular area. I was getting some relief for whatever relief to the neck area during the trial which I mentioned to the doctor. He said something about it being a 2ndary relief but really not sure beyond that what it meant. I took it as though my neck may or may not get some relief after the permanent implant was done. Right now my neck IS bothering me.

I still feel relief in the low back.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #26
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hey pebble, I am considering pump as you know & started a thread asking about pain generator sites & placement of catheter. You may be interested in responses. Also, from my research morphine & dilaudid are measured in milligrams(mgs), fentanyl in micrograms(mcg). I also understand that after dosage adjusted and time passes the entire volume of CSF becomes saturated where there is medication carried throughout entire thecal sac & ventricles in brain. Im so happy that you actually enjoyed a time of pain relief how ever it was accomplished!

Last edited by gmak; 01-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Pebble,
    so happy for you. I am sorry I wasn't here to wish you good luck, but great to hear you are safe and back home.

May I ask you what exactly your surgery was? Men usually dont get into details women like to know.
    I just was confused reading how you explained what was done; seems to me you didn't have anesthesia? Did you feel any pain? Must be scary when they moved you back and forth.
    Thank God I was deep under when they flipped me around for 10 hours, I really wouldn't be happy feeling anything. lol

Best wishes on your recovery
    Moldova

Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #28
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

Moldova:

I had gone thru an implant for chronic pain. They implanted an Intrathcal Pain Pump which is a combination of 2 medications. Dilaudid and Bupivacaine. It is done in 2 stages. The first the trial part to see if it works and if it does then onto the permanent implant. I had the trial done back in December and then the permanent one done on 1/11/13.

I was under a local anesthesia. I remember most of what was being done. They first inserted the catheter into the spine then flipped me over to put the device in the stomach which holds the medication similar to a cardiac pacemaker device. They were talking to me during the procedure to see how I was doing and to wiggle my toes that type of thing. It lasted probably about 3 hours.

All my other surgeries which were major surgeries compared to this I was under general anesthesia and out like a light. This was local anesthesia. I was able to feel a little sharp incicsions nothing severe but was aware that something was being done.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

One issue has occurred for me from the Intrathecal Pain Pump.

First of all, when I was in the hospital for the "trial" portion of the pump after a day or two I guess I noticed that I had difficulty urinating. The "need" "urge" was there but nothing.

So I did tell the nurses about this; ultimately the doctor was told. We did call in a urologist who checked me out.

Ended up that he put me on while I was in the hospital a medication called, "tamsulsin hcl" 0.4 mg.

I took it and it helped with the urinary problem. Then when the trial ended I didn't have any issues urinating.

So when the permanent implant time came around I was told to start the above medication several days prior to the surgery being done.

Now here it is Monday, the surgery was on Friday, and I once again have urinary problems. I did look up Dilaudid and Bipuvacaine. I can't remember what was said for side effects from Dialaudid, but it did say one of the more serious complications from Bipuvacaine and it did say that urinary problems can be decreased or stop from taking this medication.

I found that what does help relieve the urinary problems, besides the medication is I have been drinking more water. I don't think taking the medication alone was effective in relieving the problem.

I know I will have to mention this to my pain management doctor. And I think I should follow up with the urologist. Not sure if there may be some other issue going on but it should still be addressed.

The medication that I was put on helps "relax" the urinary track to it makes it easier to urinate.

I know I didn't mention this problem in my other posts. But for those of you who are looking into the post I thought should be award of a "possible side effect."

Also curious for those who have or had the pump, did you experience any urinary problems.

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #30
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi pebble, So, are you saying that the dr "needed" for you to be awake to place catheter & pump? This makes me sick just thinking of it! I cant even stand to smell the air in an O.R.! Its not a choice to stay awake? Is there a choice to be "out"? Ive heard this "flip you over" phrase before, this would make me pass out cold anyway!Lol

Last edited by gmak; 01-14-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: wording

Closed Thread