It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Surgery done I'm HOME

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #46
    lginfl
    (female)

lginfl HB Userlginfl HB User
    Re: Surgery done I'm HOME

PB; Reading through your posts & knowing a little more about my friend GMAK's AA, I'm wondering if you two don't have more in common than you'd guess. PB, having all those MRI's WITH contrast; as well as myelograms puts you in the same "ballpark" (in my understanding)with arachnoiditis. I read up on it & found this case, very similar to your's: "Regarding your MRI findings, first let me define myelomalacia. The term literally means "bad white matter" that results from spinal cord injury. There is often progressive damage after an initial spinal cord injury and subsequent development of myelomalacia. Magnetic resonance images of the spinal cord often show abnormal increases in signal intensity, which is indicative of increased water content in the spinal cord.
    Your MRI report indicates that you do have increased magnetic resonance signal in your cervical spinal cord. The statement that there is no enhancement probably refers to the absence of dye enhancement of the spinal cord, suggesting that they injected a dye during the test and found that the dye did not increase the signal in the spinal cord. This indicates that you do not have increased vasculature of the spinal cord and this is normal."
    From what I understand of AA, they're finding that the dye or contrast used in imaging is having a negative impact on the tissues. But mostly due to many surgeries, etc.
    Do you see how the two are closely related?? Just a thought…..

Last edited by lginfl; 01-19-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #47
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

LG & GM:

Thanks for the input. Quite honestly I am not sure what to think. No one ever suggested arachnoitis. And I dont have a great deal of knowledge about it. Something for me to look into. Will try to have enough information before my next visit with the PM and Neurosurgeon. I think thats why I want someone else to look at my films and me for a different point of view in that maybe someone is missing something in my history and treatment.

Will post more if I get more information.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #48
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Hi all. I decided to pull my file with all the MRI/CT reports and specifically look at all the Cervical MRI reports.

Just to refresh your memories, my spine issues didn't start until August of 1988. My first MRI was in 1989, lumbar problems initially.

Here is what I found in briefly looking at the "findings" on each of the MRI - Cervical - reports;

Just a note, most recently in 2011 & 2011 it seems that the MRI reports of the cervical spine seem to indicate Suspect Myelomalacia and Focal Cord Atrophy at the C6-7 levels.

Now here are some of the comments that I found in the "findings" of the prior MRI reports:

----- 1989: Mild to Moderate Cord Compression @ C6-7 levels;

----- 1995: Disc changes C3/4 to C6/7. Stenosis at all 4 levels as manifested by obliteration of the anterior & posterior subarachnoid spaces at C3/4 C4/5 andd cord compression @ C6/7;

----- 1996: C6/7 No significant changes from prior report Size of cord may be due to chronic trauma of prior stenosis resulting in myelomalacia;

----- 1998: Findings cause effacement of anterior subarachnoid space & mild flattening of ventral space;

----- 2011: Suspect myelomalacia focal cord Atrophy @ C6/7;

----- 2012: The report shows stable myelomalcia and focal cord atrophy as indicated above.

It is interesting to note that in the last 2 reports it mentions "MYELOMALACIA" which was the first time I recalled ever seeing that term; BUT it was alluded to in the 1996 report and appears that it may be the result of the prior stenosis in the area. So the myelomalacia is nothing that is new the way I am looking at it.

But there was a previous question/comment as to whether I had arachnoidits similar to that of GMAK.

Now here is my question. I havent been able to really research this and I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment to understand; BUT The comments in the 1995 which states: OBLITERATON OF THE ANTERIOR & POSTERIOR SUBARACHNOID SPACES @ C3/4 TO c6/7 SPACES"

&

IN THE 1998 REPORT WHICH STATES: FINDINGS CAUSE EFFACEMENT OF ANTERIOR SUBARACHNOID SPACES WITH MILD FLATTENING OF VENTRAL SPACES.

What does this mean? Is this Arachnoiditis? What are your opinions/comments on the above posted. I would be interested in hearing what you have to say. Hopefully you can answer before my appointment on Wednesday with the neurosurgeon and the pain management doctor.

If it is arachnoiditis then what is the treatment? I gather treament for this is difficult. Any input would be appreciates. Thanks for your help and your input.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #49
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear pebble, If you had arachnoiditis it would mention it on your MRI as this: peripheral clumping of nerve roots or aggregation of nerve roots or central clumping of nerve roots. I did not see anything like that when i looked back over your Cervicothoracic MRI that you posted from January. Multiple surgeries, myelograms, esi's that could have gone intrathecal put some people @ risk to develop arachnoiditis. Because it is considered a partial sp cord injury, myelomalacia, syringx, can occur as well as the arachnoid membrane is virtually destroyed as the spinal nerves swell, scar & push out CSF, and adhere & become one with the dura.This makes my thecal sac grossly patulous which pushes into my arachnoid & epidural space, this is not what you report says, as posted. Also, my arachnoid space is patent. Effacement or the "going away" or obliteration of the arachnoid "space"doesnt mean the arachnoid "membrane"!See? I think the similarities that were being pointed out are that we, some of us, fall into the category of multiple medical procedures, surgeries and could be at risk or suffer the same consequences, one being arachnoiditis. But, from what i have read from your MRI's i dont find any MRI findings suggesting arachnoiditis but im not a dr, while we may suffer alot of the same "symptoms"from our spine troubles, not the same
    "diagnosis"from what i have learned. I wouldnt worry if i were you,
    ok? However, no one talks about arach. It was on my mri in 1988-2012, all of them & not one neurosurgeon mentioned it to me. The
    radiologists mentioned it, but not the drs. Not one dr that i can find
    treats it i could barely find one to even say that i have it! PEbble, I Never Ever suggested that you have or may have arachnoiditis & in
    my opinion there is no mri evidence & it is diagnosed on mri
    evidence only by the words "clumping of nerve roots" & treatment?
    there is no treatment. If you would like to for comparison check out my MRI in a thread i started "want mri interpreted, please" on pm or back prob board & then you can see what im saying hopefully.

Last edited by gmak; 01-19-2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: wording

Old 01-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #50
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

Gmak:

The way you described arachnoiditis I cant say I recall anything like your description in any of my MRI reports. I posted what I thought stuck out the most.

So you may be right that I do NOT have arachnoiditis. But, as like you, I am not a doctor either

Again what did strike me was the issues surrounding the C4-C6/7 levels regading "atrophy" and that "myelomalcia" was even mentioned years ago which I had totally forgotten about. So it seems like I had issues with "it" for a long time and is NOT something that is just appearing now in any of the MRI reports. So its been an ongoing issue.

I do see my neurosurgeon Wednesday morning and my pain management doctor on Wednesday afternoon.

I'm just hoping or wishing that there would be some type of plan regarding my cervical issues. I am still relying on the Hydrocodone/Tizanidine for help in relieving the pain.

I am doing faily well with the "implant." Last night I was at my synagogue for services. I have not been going like I used to be going. And 2 people came up to me before the services and both commented on how well it looked like I was doing. They were able to see it in my face. They saw me smiling and I guess from the way I took it they did not see the "tension" in my face. So I ws happy to hear that people have noticed a difference in me.

Last nights service was a lot longer then normal and I was able to get thru the service with "little" pain. Another good sign that the implant is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

I find that I am sleeping better too.While I still get up during the night I have not been awake for as many hours as before.

It's amazing that I have noticed such a change in the week since the implant was done.

Will let you know what my neurosurgeon and pain management doctor say after I see them on Wednesday. I should be getting the "staples" out from the surgery. YAY, I will then be able to get into the shower again.

Thanks for listening.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #51
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

This all sounds like positive developments. Any time you can do something you couldn't have done two weeks ago, that is wonderful progress. Hopefully things will just get better and better.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #52
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Pebble, That is really great news! Im sure your synagogue members are so thrilled to have you back in service & back to your old self! God is great! I noticed that the myelomalacia was not a new diagnosis for you also, when you posted all your mri reports over the years. Enjoy feeling better, you deserve it!

Last edited by gmak; 01-19-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: wording

Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #53
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

Some thoughts; maybe concerns. I was at my synagogue this morning for Bible Study. I was able to sit without any problems, that is the good news. But something is concerning me though. At times I feel a little "lightheaded" for lack of better words. I'm thinking it is from the medication.

One thing when I had the trial done I also since I was in for several days they would check my blood pressure. On 2 maybe 3 occassions I had low blood pressure of 90/70 not sure if that was the exact reading but was somewhere around there. Then my b/p went back to somewhere in the normal range. I am on "Ramipril" which is a blood pressure medication but I dont take it for B/P. Since I am in kidney failure the Ramipril also tends to protect the kidney. so when the B/P was low they stopped the Ramipril te following day.

Also before the implant I tended to have migraines but VERY infrequent and VERY mild.

Since the surgery I've had migraines a little more severe and in fact was nauseous. Not sure if the nausea was related to the migraines or not. But have felt a little quesy here and there.

Again not sure if its related to the implant or not. I do see the pain doctor again on Wednesday and will bring it up just to get his opinion on the nausea/migraines/lightheaded feeling and if related to the surgery. Also if B/P was low during the trial not sure how to address that if my bp goes low again on me and I am not aware of it.

I know there are ways to check your b/p at home but I never had success with them in getting accurate readings and the good ones can be costly.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #54
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Not so much. Good questions to ask your PM this week. I would imagine it will take your body a bit of time to get used to having the regularity of the medication. 90/70 bp makes me light-headed as well, but I know it is almost normal for some people, or even lower than that, without having the light-headed effect. This and the migraine, may be things better handled by the doctors that manage your other health issues. I'm not sure the extent to which the PM will understand how things relate to your other serious issues.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #55
    lginfl
    (female)

lginfl HB Userlginfl HB User
    Smile Re: Surgery done I'm HOME

PB: Some thoughts on the BP issue. When you were in the hospital, did they have you on any antibiotics or anything else? Any IV's running? I ask this because when I was in the hospital (Oct.'12) my BP would take a "nose-dive" at night-80/60 & go back up during the day. I was on IV antibiotics & post surgical (CSF leak repair) That'll make your BP go crazy….
    My mom's a retired RN and said ANY med's can make your BP go off, up or down. But with the pain pump it shouldn't affect that because the med's don't go through your system like other med's
    Glad to hear that you're feeling less & less pain! OK, I have to say this: Didn't I tell you, I KNEW THE PUMP WOULD WORK!!! Yep, I told ya!
    Remember how far you've come, put the MRI's away until you see your Dr.'s!!! Why stress over the "what if's" right now? Enjoy life as much as you can, enjoy being you! It's pretty amazing when other people notice how different you look without that "pain face" on! Your story brought back some memories for me. Take care!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #56
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
    Again not sure if its related to the implant or not. I do see the pain doctor again on Wednesday and will bring it up just to get his opinion on the nausea/migraines/lightheaded feeling and if related to the surgery. Also if B/P was low during the trial not sure how to address that if my bp goes low again on me and I am not aware of it.
    I know there are ways to check your b/p at home but I never had success with them in getting accurate readings and the good ones can be costly.
    Any thoughts? Thanks
    Hi pebble, I always thought those home bp machines were inaccurate as well b/c they dont involve a humans listening ear & refused to let my parents trust their results. Then, the last few times i went to the gastro & pain mgmt dr(i domt use this dr anymore) they used one of the bp machines on me just like a home unit & the drs pronounced them accurate, so ive been using one @ home & checking my bp the "old way" too & there has only been < 8 mmhg difference so far. If it turns out that you need to monitor your bp i think that the home bp machines would at least let you know if there was a problem that you could investigate further @ the dr & i also think you should remember to ask both drs on your appts wednesday

Old 01-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #57
    pebblebeach3
    Inactive
    (male)

LG:

When I was in the hospital back in December for the trial, I know there was a B/P issue. The medication, since it was a trial was hanging from a pole so whenever I walked I had to drag this pole with me. I don't think there were any IV's attached to it. As to any other medication I can't recall being on anything else but my regular medication.

Then when I was in overnight for the permanent implant, I know going into surgery there was an IV pole. I am drawing a blank as to when the IV was disconnected.

The only other medication that I was put on in addition was as follows: I developed a urinary problem during the "trial" period. I had difficulty urinating. The urge was there but nothing or very little would happen. So they put me on a medication to help relax the bladder so it would make it easier to go.

Also after the permanent implant I was put on an anti-biotic. I think I started it when I was in the hospital and had it filled when I left. I was given a 2 week supply of anti-biotics which the Rx calledd for me to take the medication 2X's per day. I have 2 or 3 days left of the medication & then I should be done.

If my B/P has dropped since I have been home I dont know. I was at my synagogue yesterday morning and felt "lightheaded" for lack of better words.
    Really felt like I needed to lie down.

I did get nauseos in the hospital the day after the surgery. I would get sick then would be fine. Took 24 hours to clear up. The nurse thought it was from the anesthesia.

Then either yesterday or the day before I had a nauseos feeling again. Didn't vomit bit thought I was going to.

I have had some migraines. I usally get these floaters in the eyes, very mild. And really cant say I had noticed migraines before the surgery. Then I had the surgery and had 2 episodes of the floaters. The second time that I had the floaters was when I felt somewhat nauseaous. It seemed strange that the nausea and the mild migraines appeared at the same time. were they connected to one another? Not sure but thinking it was.

I only had 1 BAD experience with migraines about 20 years ago where I actually had to go into a dark room; was eating dinner and didnt feel like eating; felt like I had to get away from the dinner table.

Migraines connected to the surgery? Someone said its possible and found a site where people were talking about migraines after surgery. Didn't save the site but maybe it is connected.

See the neurosurgeon in 3 days and my Pain management doctor on the same day. So neurosurgeon in the morning and pain doctor in the late evening. Guess I'll be busy that day keeping the doctors in business.

Will post the outcome of thsoe office visits. I just want the bandages to come off; the staples to come out so I can get into the shower already.

More later.

Closed Thread