It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Just about had enough!!!!! Help please!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
    Beth0109
    (female)

Beth0109 HB User
    Just about had enough!!!!! Help please!!!

I've posted before but wanted to give an update and get an opinion from an outside source.

I've had various neuro problems since August 2012 after a General anaesthetic - headaches, tingling in face, tongue, arms, hands, back, legs and feet, balance issues, burning pain in hands, arms, legs and feet and numbness. I've been Neuro tested several times and no real explanation given except anxiety and also had MRI scan which came back normal except a small lesion which doesn't correlate with any symptoms I am having. My Neuro says it isn't MS either.

I had a B12 count of 289 in August and my symptoms have been ongoing - no massive change but they are constant and I have had no break in symptoms. My GP says my B12 isn't low enough to cause these symptoms but I, based on research, believe differently.

Does anyone have any insight on B12???
    I'd really appreciate it.

The following user gives a hug of support to Beth0109:
    June89 (02-11-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
    Aussie100
    Veteran
    (male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
    Re: Just about had enough!!!!! Help please!!!

Hi, seeing that B12 is a very important vitamin for nerve health I would rather have plenty of it floating around in my blood for the cells to use than low amounts available.
    At least this is something you can try yourself without the need of a doctors script and there is no adverse reactions of having to much in your system.
    I would by some B12 methylcobalamin [ 5mg ] x 1 per day for about a month then break the tablet in half and continue taken it, it should be taken on an empty stomache say 2 hours before a meal or at least 2 hours after a meal for max absorption.

good luck I hope it helps you.
    regards
    Aussie

The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie100 For This Useful Post:
    June89 (02-11-2013)
    Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
    Teacupforme
    (female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User

I have had a similar issue after general anesthetic. All tests are normal with me too. I do have anxiety and was told its that. I have chalked it down to the antibiotics at the hospital, the anasthetic, the trauma to immune system from surgery or a combo of the 3 . My symptoms are the same and I too am suffering. I am finding more and more younger women suffering this illness and I am wondering if hormones isn't also involved here ?

Last edited by Teacupforme; 01-23-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear beth, I have face, feet, chest, hans buzzing, burning, numbness, balance issues as well. I can personally sympathize as i am suffering everyday & it is starting to afgect my heart & seeing cardio next week. Would you mind explaining how you feel also in more detail? Have you ever had a spine surgery, invasive tests? I have adhesive arachnoiditis which is caused from myelogram dye, multiple back or spine surgeries, epidural injections,epidural anesthesia & the source cant be identified as i have had all of these. Arachnoiditis shows up on a spine MRI as " clumping of nerve roots" . Do you have your MRI report? i just trusted my drs & they never told me from 1988 when it first showed on MRI until 2012.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
    Terlin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Dear beth, I have face, feet, chest, hans buzzing, burning, numbness, balance issues as well. I can personally sympathize as i am suffering everyday & it is starting to afgect my heart & seeing cardio next week. Would you mind explaining how you feel also in more detail? Have you ever had a spine surgery, invasive tests? I have adhesive arachnoiditis which is caused from myelogram dye, multiple back or spine surgeries, epidural injections,epidural anesthesia & the source cant be identified as i have had all of these. Arachnoiditis shows up on a spine MRI as " clumping of nerve roots" . Do you have your MRI report? i just trusted my drs & they never told me from 1988 when it first showed on MRI until 2012.
    Hi I have about same symptoms, do you have bowel and bladder problems sensitive to hot and cold weather ringing in ears difficulty swallowing feeling spaced out difficulty controlling your movements all sensations alterd, along with stabbing pain.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terlin View Post
    Hi I have about same symptoms, do you have bowel and bladder problems sensitive to hot and cold weather ringing in ears difficulty swallowing feeling spaced out difficulty controlling your movements all sensations alterd, along with stabbing pain.
    Dear terlin, tea cup, aussie & beth, To have arachnoiditis you must have had some invasive surgery, injection, myelogram, spinal tap, epidural anesthesia or spine injury that would account for a foreign substance being introduced inside the thecal sac or the inside where the spinal cord, spinal nerves & spimal fluid are. This is diagnosed by MRI & on the MRI report it will say "clumping of nerve roots" or "peripheral clumping of nerve roots" or tethered cord, syringomyelia, tarlov cyst. The dr may not mention this & sometimes radiologist dont report this finding unless they are looking for it specifically. Bowel & bladder problems, temperature sensitivity,foggy thinking, all nerve sensations altered & shocking electrical pain are symptoms that i have read about many times being associated eith adhesive arachnoiditis. Predominately pain is what i had first & for years was only symptom. Have you had any invasive tests, epidurals, nerve blocks, or surgeries to the back?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
    DB443
    Inactive
    (female)

DB443 HB User

you guys should look up Arnold Chiari Malformation & syringomyelia, I have them both and had to have a shunt placed in the cavity in my thoracic.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-19-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
    Terlin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Terlin HB User
    Red face Re: Just about had enough!!!!! Help please!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Dear terlin, tea cup, aussie & beth, To have arachnoiditis you must have had some invasive surgery, injection, myelogram, spinal tap, epidural anesthesia or spine injury that would account for a foreign substance being introduced inside the thecal sac or the inside where the spinal cord, spinal nerves & spimal fluid are. This is diagnosed by MRI & on the MRI report it will say "clumping of nerve roots" or "peripheral clumping of nerve roots" or tethered cord, syringomyelia, tarlov cyst. The dr may not mention this & sometimes radiologist dont report this finding unless they are looking for it specifically. Bowel & bladder problems, temperature sensitivity,foggy thinking, all nerve sensations altered & shocking electrical pain are symptoms that i have read about many times being associated eith adhesive arachnoiditis. Predominately pain is what i had first & for years was only symptom. Have you had any invasive tests, epidurals, nerve blocks, or surgeries to the back?
    Ihad neuropathy dx in 98 large fiber from emg test, then sept 2012 went to new neuro did emg again and neuro said only thing abnormal was except that MRI showed l5s1 disc narrowing and grade 2 slippage now wants 2 nd MRI ? Because of my pain getting worse and difficulty with my gate skin biopsy shows small fiber neuropthy but have difficulty controling
    My hands and arms, also numb, also my head, I also have difficulty concentrating and forget what I'm doing feeling like Im on drugs. Which I'm not. All senses altered. Have ringing in ears feel disconnected from reality. Electric like shocks through body.difficulty swallowing feels like food going to back of throat , had inguinal henia surgery in 2011 with mesh then had bowel and bladder problems gastro says neves arn't coordinating when defacating, when I do go no relief from bloating, so bad can't sit. Neuropathy at that time increased and spread up the body and head. Could that mesh or surgery have anything to do with my condition. My neuro won't say anything about what's affecting me this way? Thanks very hard to type and understand what I'm doing

Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

When i read about arachnoiditis, arnold chiari malformation is often on the articles & has many of same symptoms but is sometimes found together but are two different things in my understanding. Bladder & bowel incontinence but also & mostly difficulty getting urine/ feces out, electric shocks, numbness etc associated with arach but also lumbar spondylithesis. The head, swallowing etc could be from a cervical neck problem & i would ask the dr for tests like MRI of cervical spine. I must ask again, have you had a spine surgery or invasive tests, or epidural inj's because unless from a spinal infection i.e. meningitis, tuberculosis of spine arachnoiditis is in my opinion not very likely. Have you seen a spine only neurosurgeon? My predominate symptom is horrible pain, then neuropathy after many years with mri documented arach but no dr told me. If i could do anything different i would insist on viewing & hhaving a copy of every test i ever had done instead of blind faith in my dr.

Last edited by gmak; 02-20-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: wording

Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
    chuckster52
    (male)

chuckster52 HB User

I agree that it could be B12 deficiency. This is low normal and in the range that can cause problems for some. It would be a good idea to begin B12 shots to get your level up. It is simple to do. If it helps, you know it was an issue for you. If not, it rules out so you can move on to other possibilities.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
    Specialk100
    (female)

Specialk100 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terlin View Post
    I have the same everything except I haven't had problems with movements yet although I have had vertigo recently and that scared the crap out me. I had a double fusion in my neck. I'm going to my neuro for the first tme in a about a month but I know that it is small fibers neuropathy. My primary care dr thinks too. I'm scared. How do u take the pain?

Closed Thread