It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Spinal Fibrosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
    LiquidIce78
    (female)

LiquidIce78 HB User
    Spinal Fibrosis

I had L4/S1 fusion with instrumentation and removal of previous instrumentation L5/S1, almost 6 weeks ago. I was doing perfectly well, no back pain post of, just continous oozing from wound which is we thought was infection. doc took a swab, and it came back negative. Three weeks ago my hip started giving problems. Doc said it was normal as it was where they took out the bone graft. Gave me meds, problem solved.

Since two weeks ago my right knee started acting up. It is painful when I walk for too far, and it feels like its cramping when I lie down. It gets so bad that it wakes me up in the middle of the night. No previous injury. Its not sciatic pains. My painkillers is not working at all. Have not started PT yet. Just some strengthening exercises they gave me in hospital.

Had to go to ER last night. Had excrutiating pain in right knee. I was crying like a little girl. Apparantly I may have Spinal Fibrosis. Started taking Lyrica 25mg last night, 25 mg this morning and will dose up to 50mg tonight. Also taking, Tramacet, Tenston SA, Urbanol (in the morning), Trepiline and Xanor in the evening. With all that, NO PAIN RELIEF! Cannot sleep or lie down. Best position for me is standing! Will hear what my Neurologist say on Tuesday when I go for 6week post op...

I have been travelling between my bed with 7 pillows to the recliner with 5 pillows. Neither helps for pain. Used ice, heat, TENS, nothing helps.

Anyone else experienced this or similar? How in the world do I sleep? The only position I have no pain in, is on my stomach, but I'm apparantly not allowed to lie on my stomach.

Its not spinal fibrosis, its epidural fibrosis. Sorry

Last edited by LiquidIce78; 05-09-2013 at 04:54 AM. Reason: The medication I am taking is blurring my mind

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: Spinal Fibrosis

Dear ice, What diagnostic test did they do in the emergency room last nightM if an MRI in the states all MRI's or CT scans etc are reviewed by the radiologist & a final report given. Because i had a condition that no one told me about from 1988 to 2012 i get a copy of the disc & the report on all imaging now for my own records. I have severe epidural fibrosis as a result of adhesive arachnoiditis that is diagnosed by MRI as "clumping of nerve roots"on the report, if i were you i would want the report to find out why the epidural fibrosis is causing such nerve pain.

Last edited by gmak; 05-09-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Sorry see next post, edited version. duplicate post sorta

Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear ice, What diagnostic test did they do in the emergency room last night? If an MRI, in the states all MRI's or CT scans etc are reviewed by the radiologist & a final report given. Because i had a condition that no one told me about from 1988 to 2012 i get a copy of the disc & the report on all imaging now for my own records. I have severe epidural fibrosis as a result of adhesive arachnoiditis that is diagnosed by MRI as "clumping of nerve roots"on the report, if i were you i would want the report to find out why the epidural fibrosis is causing such nerve pain because its just scar tissue so is it on a spinal nerve, how could scar tissue cause this pain is what i would want to know. I hope that you get relief soon! Also, i would call my surgeon first thing in the morning & tell him i had to go to ER if i were you.
    Im not familiar with the medicine names but maybe tramadol & xanax?? I use my TENS on high 24/7 when in severe pain but being post op i would follow dr instructions, its not working at all? If numbness in pelvic area &/or top of upper thighs or genital area develops or bladder or bowel incontinence or retention call the dr immediately or a return visit to ER is recommended because Cauda equina syndrome is considered an emergency, severe nerve
    compression. I really hope that you turn a corner & begin healing & feel better soon.God bless you, Ice!

Last edited by gmak; 05-09-2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: typo

Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
    LiquidIce78
    (female)

LiquidIce78 HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, tramadol and xanax are different names for Tramacet and Xanor. The ER doc phoned the Neurologist on standby this morning as my surgeon is on leave until Monday. The ER doc explained all my symptoms to the Neurologist and he said no need for MRI now as I will be seeing my surgeon on Tuesday. He also said everything sounds like Spinal Fibrosis. I do have a tendency for scar tissue going haywire. I have bad scar tissue on my abdomen after a umbilical hernia repair. I have none of the things you talk about. Just a sometimes numbing lower back pain, almost as if I have my menstrual cycle. I had a MRI done about 10 weeks ago, and there was nothing of anything you mention. In South Africa we get to keep all our scans and reports. My surgeon will most probably ask for a new MRI when I see him next week.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi ice, No " clumping of nerve roots" or spinal nerves adhered to dura or tethered cord mentioned? Excellent! God bless you!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
    LiquidIce78
    (female)

LiquidIce78 HB User

None of that, so it seems if I look at all my options of what it might be, Spinal Fibrosis fits the bill perfectly. From what I have read, it starts showing symptoms at around 6to 12weeks post op. i am 6 weeks post op. the symptoms are the same as well, but I would prefer having a MRI to confirm this.

Closed Thread