It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Lyrica...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
    Lyrica...

I just had labs done and waiting for results. If all are norm Lyrica is my next step. Please share your experiences/side effect with Lyrica and your dosages. I did horrible on Neurontin.

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
    Re: Lyrica...

I lasted 2 days on it. horrid leg cramps and body pain. I had not had the pain prior to taking the drug.
    peace,
    blue
    p.s. Neurontin caused strokes after 5 years with no problems. had 8 of the puppies! some perm. damage.

Last edited by bluelakelady; 05-21-2013 at 08:09 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
    fusionqueen (05-21-2013)
    Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
    WoodsWalker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Well I beat blue and made it about 10 days. Had a few side affects but the worst being increased migraines that got worse with each dose. Tried to see if the headaches would subside but couldn't even get out of bed and called it quits.
    The only plus I could find was it did help my rib pain, not a good trade off.

It works great for some, you know the story..if you're one of the lucky ones and can tolerate it and what ever side dishes you get with it then you can get a little relief.

Best of luck to you

The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
    fusionqueen (05-21-2013)
    Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
    firemom31
    (female)

firemom31 HB Userfiremom31 HB User

I took Lyrica for three months. I felt like that was plenty of time to adjust to the side effects, but I didn't. The first dose made me sleep for 11 hours straight. I wasn't able to drive for the first 3 days. I had muscle spasms like I've never had before. My face would spasm and I couldn't talk. I couldn't concentrate or remember anything. I lost the ability to filter what I was saying, and started saying things out loud that I shouldn't (actually had some laughs over that). I got great pain relief but felt disabled from the side effects, so I weaned back off of it. I'm going to try Cymbalta this weekend, and if I can't take that, I'm done. I can't take NSAIDS or narcotics because of severe stomach issues, so I may just have to live with the pain. Everyone responds differently to Lyrica, but be prepared to deal with some issues.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
    narampa
    (female)

narampa HB User

I was on Lyrica for 2 years (low dosage) but the results were not agreeable. The pain was subdued for only a few hours. My reactions to the drug were puffiness, weight gain and shakiness . I am now on other medication that does not seem be advantageous. We all have different resistance and all have other symptoms that dictate the results. I have spoken to those who have positive results also.We seem to be living in a world of questions and uncertainty . Keep trying and hopefully you have a doctor that is understanding.

The Following User Says Thank You to narampa For This Useful Post:
    fusionqueen (05-31-2013)
    Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
    Debra7352
    (female)

Debra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB User

Hi. I have been taking Lyrica for about 6 to 8 months. I like it for the all over body pain. I find it doesn't help much with the pain I feel in my bones. Maybe its the same pain, I don't know! Anyway, I do have some side effects such as WEIGHT GAIN :/ and swelling of my hands and feet. The swelling isn't noticeable all the time though. I also have a hard time staying focused, not always, but quite a bit. It really helps me sleep, Thank God! I take 100 mgs. 3 times a day. I also take Cymbalta for the pain and depression that I have had all my life. I take 60 mg. once daily. I haven't found the side effects of the Lyrica to be bad enough to out weigh the positive effects. The weight gain is my biggest complaint. Its really making it hard for me to feel good about myself. However! I am not ready to throw the towel in just yet! I am determined to do all I can to lose this weight! I plan to take full advantage of the summer months to walk with my dog as much as my body will allow. And to use the Y to get into the pool! I can't wait for that! Its heated and I think it will feel SOOOO good! Lol!! Anyway, good luck with your decision. I hope that you are able to find some relief from it! Keep us posted please! Take care <3

The following user gives a hug of support to Debra7352:
    fusionqueen (06-05-2013)
    Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I took a low dose 75 mg for a while it made me swell. I switched to topomax started at 25 mg at nite actually lost weight worked up to 125 mg just at night helps with the migraines too. Cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
    fusionqueen (06-05-2013)
    Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
    beachcomber51
    (female)

beachcomber51 HB User

I had good results initially with Lyrica during the first 2 years I took it. Then as I increased to 3x a day as my doc prescribed I started getting small blisters all over my arms, hands and face. Cut back to 2x but blistering continued. Weaned off and now just taking Naproxen & an occasional Hydrocodone/Skelaxton. Did well for years on Neuroton, but dosage became ridiculously high and pain was breaking through. May ask about Topomax.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
    SithPrincess
    (female)

SithPrincess HB User

Hey there! I am new and just now looking over the boards. I thought I would share with you that Lyrica didn't work well for me at all. It made me very dizzy even though I started on the lowest dosage. I didn't think it was doing anything, but my Dr still wanted to keep trying and upped the dosage again hoping that the dizziness would go away. It didn't. Had to pass on that one!

The Following User Says Thank You to SithPrincess For This Useful Post:
    fusionqueen (07-06-2013)
    Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear fusioqueen, I have very terrible chronic pain after 4 lumbar surgeries fibro, now arachnoiditis so my spinal nerves are being squeezed to death literally & i started having nerve pain down legs into feet. I had horrid side effects to neurontin in fact on my medication allergy list. Cymbalta caused my eye pressure to rise so stopped. Lyrica helps me & has for 5 years or so . I rarely have a true fibro attack or i cant differentiate well but i had slight swelling & redness in hands & feet which i just got lab tests from dr & all results were normal so this is now attributed to a lyrica side effect. However the benefits highly outweigh the side effects so dr wamts me to increase to 150 mg 3 times a day. I havent successfully done this because of sleepiness but do ok on 150mg/ twice a day. I hope that the dr finds a medicine that helps you also!

Last edited by gmak; 07-12-2013 at 06:52 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
    fusionqueen (07-06-2013)
    Old 07-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

I wanted to add one more thing, lyrica is prescribed morning & night, 2 times a day or three times a day for me but i just havent "mastered" the middle of the day dose because i take 150mg capsules. I have found that with twice a day dosing i was taking it only 8-9 hours apart (from 11pm to 7am) & that if i take it 12 hours apart the side effects are lessened & the pain coverage is more even throughout the day, 11pm & 11am.

Closed Thread