It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• S1 Sacroiliac joint pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User
    S1 Sacroiliac joint pain

Its sacroiliac joint thats bothering me. I somehow twisted wrong changing my son's diaper. I am 2 months out of L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 fusion. PT trying to help alleviate pain but pain now on left side even in butt and back of thigh. Hurts when I walk.

2/2011 & 3/2011-L4-L5 Laminectomy & Disectomy 3/2011- Facet Joint FX (TLSO Brace)
    7/11/12-L4-L5 Spinal Fusion; 7/25/12 Revision
    5/29/13 - L3-S1 Spinal Fusion Revision

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: S1 Sacroiliac joint pain

Hi purplegirl, Im sorry! You have been through enough! Your surgery is still considered early post op & when fusions are done the weightbearing that falls on those discs especially gets redistributed & can easily fall on SI joints causing pain & inflammation & its very painful. My NS that is now retired used to give me trigger point injections in bilateral SI joints occasionally & i did not have near the reason of a trilevel fusion but it helped rid me of the pain everytime. My husb gets his SI trigger points from GP dr in our area but his back anatomy hasnt been surgically changed, a PM dr can do only SI joint injs under fluoroscopy & the cost would be more but its covered on our insurance because ive had that done after my NS retired & the dr can see exactly where to inject. My current dr does trigger points with marcaine, an anesthetic numbing medicine & depo medrol, a steroid but because of arachnoiditis it cant get near my epidural area & it doesnt just in the SI joint. Have you asked your surgeon about injections so early post op? I hope Pt can alleviate the pain because you have gone through so much to be pain free again!

Last edited by gmak; 07-25-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Hi purplegirl, Im sorry! You have been through enough! Your surgery is still considered early post op & when fusions are done the weightbearing that falls on those discs especially gets redistributed & can easily fall on SI joints causing pain & inflammation & its very painful. My NS that is now retired used to give me trigger point injections in bilateral SI joints occasionally & i did not have near the reason of a trilevel fusion but it helped rid me of the pain everytime. My husb gets his SI trigger points from GP dr in our area but his back anatomy hasnt been surgically changed, a PM dr can do only SI joint injs under fluoroscopy & the cost would be more but its covered on our insurance because ive had that done after my NS retired & the dr can see exactly where to inject. My current dr does trigger points with marcaine, an anesthetic numbing medicine & depo medrol, a steroid but because of arachnoiditis it cant get near my epidural area & it doesnt just in the SI joint. Have you asked your surgeon about injections so early post op? I hope Pt can alleviate the pain because you have gone through so much to be pain free again!
    . Thank u. I go to my DR tomorrow thank God so I will talk to him. I pray this is just a temporary thing!!!

2/2011 & 3/2011-L4-L5 Laminectomy & Disectomy 3/2011- Facet Joint FX (TLSO Brace)

The following user gives a hug of support to purplegirl1:
    gmak (07-25-2013)
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Let us know what he says.

There are a number of causes of SI joint pain, and it is a fact that many spine surgeons tend to be dismissive of SI dysfunction as a major cause of pain.

I would be willing to say (without any proof of course ) that many people who have a lower lumbar, particularly L5-S1 fusion, end up with SI joint problems. Most of it has to do with having an immoveable block that used to move, joining up with the first area that can move, if only a little...the SI joints. The lower spine and all the connecting soft tissue, fascae, etc. have to get accustomed to the new function and positioning.

When the fusion is done, some surgeons try to pull the spine back into the proper original curve, but others do not...so another reason why soft tissue, etc. have to learn a new position and how to function again...which has an effect on the SI joints. What often happens is that the appropriate muscles are not firing, and, as a result, other body parts pick up the slack. Often people develop pain on the side opposite of the SI joint that is not functioning properly.

It took me almost a year to resolve my issues after my last fusion. It is helpful if you can find a medical massage therapist or PT or someone similar who has a lot of hands on experience with these issues. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DR. Said that on xray my sacraliliac joint looks good but agrees it is what is bothering me bc of where my pain is. He explained that sometimes people have problems with that area bc of the other levels near it fused but it usually goes away. He also explained the reason I am feeling pain down my leg is because the sciatic nerve is right there so it's probably touching it. I also have bursitis in the left hip 2. He said if the S1 psin doesnt go away there is a procedure to fuse that joint and he is specifically trained in that

The following user gives a hug of support to purplegirl1:
    gmak (07-26-2013)
    Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
    twohands
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

purplegirl1,

Sorry to hear your having so many spine problems. I've had six lumbar/SI joint surgeries myself with a lot of complications, so I can certainly empathize.

There are a lot of ligaments that connect the whole hip/SI joint/lumbar spine area, so when one has problems it really causes major stress on the other joints involves with those ligaments. There is a major ligament that connects the SI joint and L4-L5 lumbar area in fact, so lumbar fusions involving L4-L5 can really mess with the SI joint.

I had my left SI joint fused, but then it didn't fuse. My surgeon insisted it was fused while I continuously was very vocal that I was in severe pain. Every move I made caused me excrutiating pain. It wasn't until a radiologist finally called the fusion into question from a CT scan and I got to the point I could no longer walk at all that my surgeon finally admitted that I wasn't fused. I eventually had to have it redone and another surgeon I got a 2nd opinion with said it is now weakly fused and I'm really hoping it doesn't come unfused again. I went for almost 2 years barely or unable to walk and having to use crutches. I now have a contracture of my two calf muscles on my left leg from not being able to walk for so long and I've had 2 ankle surgeons recommend I have my Achilles tendon lengthened - I'm delaying/avoiding that surgery if at all possible.

SI joint fusion technology is in its infancy compared to lumbar fusions. I've been told by various doctors that the SI joint fusion rate is about 95%, but I've talked to a number of people who have been in miserable pain as I was from SI joint non-fusions, and I believe the non-fusion rate is much higher than 5%.

If you're going to consider an SI joint fusion, please think long and hard about it, and try every conservative method first. Core strenthening exercises go a long way toward helping your spine/SI joint/hip area, and pilates are a great option. You'll probably never be pain free in your SI joint, whether you have it fused or not.

Best wishes!

The following user gives a hug of support to twohands:
    gmak (07-26-2013)
    Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Yes, purplegirl i think getting them fused is very drastic at this point because getting them injected, taking a medrol dose pak, so many other options that should be done first! Surgery is definitely a last resort after the pain of chronic si joint inflammation has occured for many years despite treatment. Imho, you are at #1 On the journey & surgery is step #10 & considering fusion is getting way ahead of the current problem.

Last edited by gmak; 07-26-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks!!! Yes I don't plan on any surgery!! I am hoping that with PT and other measures this lightens up. I think my DR was just givinge all options.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi purplegirl, Is the SI joint pain resolving or getting better with PT ? Been thinking of you & praying. Hope you are on the road to full recovery now!

Old 08-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Hi purplegirl, Is the SI joint pain resolving or getting better with PT ? Been thinking of you & praying. Hope you are on the road to full recovery now!
    Thank u so much. It is alot better thank God!!!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi purplegirl, Im so glad that its better! Now getting back to recovery from the fusion & i hope its still going well!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Hi dear,
    everyone here done a good job explaining what this may be and how to deal with it.
    I just want to add: you have a very long way to your recovery, I am sure your Dr told you that it may take a year or more to full recovery.
    Oh, so many ups and downs, so many bumps on this road until you finally can be strong and do more than you allowed now.
    I hear you have a baby, how do you do it? I know we do what he must do, but knowing what kind pain you dealing with since I been there myself, my heart goes out to you.
    Please sweet heart, be very careful. I don't know about your place, but at my hospital we had to have classes before spinal surgery; not only for patient but for a caregiver also. They taught us how to move after surgery, how to get up from bed in a right way (log like, not any other ways), how NOT to bend, not to twist, NOT to reach things over head (like reaching for something in a kitchen cabinet which is higher than your shoulder). They even taught us how we can have intimate relationships after DR lets us; it only certain way with the help of pillows until we fully heal.
    Please, don't neglect this all, we all pay the price for doing wrong after spinal surgery. My husband has a client who had only one level spinal fusion without instrumentation, so you would think she healed faster and doing fine? Nope; since than she had 4 more surgeries, now her hip involved and only b/c she is very stubborn and plays "hero".
    Her first surgeon refused to have her as a patient b/c of this so she had other surgeries done by someone else.
    She never quit smoking. My surgeon told me if I smoke (I never done it, but many people hide from their doctors), he wouldn't do the surgery since bones will not heal properly. She moved the way she wanted, she picked up her kids, she drove and did too many steps a day only 2 month after surgery. When I suggested her buying some helpful devices at Back Store to pick up things from floor without bending, to reach things from the cabinets, etc. she said she is OK and nothing happens to her. You can only help those who want to help themselves, right?
    My Dr. insisted on following the book they gave us after classes and if I will re-injure myself during recovery, than problem will be worse. Simple wrong move can screw up the attempt of getting better and heal right.
    I had to wear a heavy brace from my breasts down after each spinal surgery I had. I didn't like it, it was so hard and heavy, but in order to get better and avoid re-injuring ourselves, we do what we have...

I wish you and your family the best. Hope your pain will get better and you get some help.
    Hugs, Moldova

Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
    Hi dear,
    everyone here done a good job explaining what this may be and how to deal with it.
    I just want to add: you have a very long way to your recovery, I am sure your Dr told you that it may take a year or more to full recovery.
    Oh, so many ups and downs, so many bumps on this road until you finally can be strong and do more than you allowed now.
    I hear you have a baby, how do you do it? I know we do what he must do, but knowing what kind pain you dealing with since I been there myself, my heart goes out to you.
    Please sweet heart, be very careful. I don't know about your place, but at my hospital we had to have classes before spinal surgery; not only for patient but for a caregiver also. They taught us how to move after surgery, how to get up from bed in a right way (log like, not any other ways), how NOT to bend, not to twist, NOT to reach things over head (like reaching for something in a kitchen cabinet which is higher than your shoulder). They even taught us how we can have intimate relationships after DR lets us; it only certain way with the help of pillows until we fully heal.
    Please, don't neglect this all, we all pay the price for doing wrong after spinal surgery. My husband has a client who had only one level spinal fusion without instrumentation, so you would think she healed faster and doing fine? Nope; since than she had 4 more surgeries, now her hip involved and only b/c she is very stubborn and plays "hero".
    Her first surgeon refused to have her as a patient b/c of this so she had other surgeries done by someone else.
    She never quit smoking. My surgeon told me if I smoke (I never done it, but many people hide from their doctors), he wouldn't do the surgery since bones will not heal properly. She moved the way she wanted, she picked up her kids, she drove and did too many steps a day only 2 month after surgery. When I suggested her buying some helpful devices at Back Store to pick up things from floor without bending, to reach things from the cabinets, etc. she said she is OK and nothing happens to her. You can only help those who want to help themselves, right?
    My Dr. insisted on following the book they gave us after classes and if I will re-injure myself during recovery, than problem will be worse. Simple wrong move can screw up the attempt of getting better and heal right.
    I had to wear a heavy brace from my breasts down after each spinal surgery I had. I didn't like it, it was so hard and heavy, but in order to get better and avoid re-injuring ourselves, we do what we have...

I wish you and your family the best. Hope your pain will get better and you get some help.
    Hugs, Moldova
    Thanks so much!!! I am already back at work. I sit at a desk so I make sure I get up alot. I am careful when I bend etc & when playing & lifting kids.

Closed Thread