It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Does Cauda Equine syndrome heal on it own

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
    2young4paininOH
    (female)

2young4paininOH HB User2young4paininOH HB User
    Does Cauda Equine syndrome heal on it own

I would like to know if any out there knows if cauda equine syndrome or Arachnoiditis can go away on it's own with out any treatment. Can a MRI say you have it one time and then not have it another time. I am just wondering. If this is something that heals on it own. I have not found anything that suggest it does but I just wanted to see if anyone out there that knows about this. I never have had any surgery's just a lot of back problems and injections and 3 epidural from child birth. Please if someone can help I would appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
    Kate639
    (female)

Kate639 HB User
    Re: Does Cauda Equine syndrome heal on it own

Healing on its own, kind of low chance. Some acupuncture should help quite a bunch though.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

CES is not similar to arachnoiditis, and neither one can be "cured." CES is nerve damage to the cauda equina nerves. If the damage is ignored for a period of time, the nerve damage becomes permanent and then there is little that can be done about it.

Arachnoiditis is somewhat different from CES. Two doctors can have a difference of opinion on whether someone has arachnoiditis, or not. I believe it isn't so much that someone "has" it and then it goes away or ets better, but rather, a situation where the person never had arachnoiditis to begin with. The doctor was mistaken in the diagnosis.

Unfortunately, there are way too many medical professionals who aren't that familiar with either situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    2young4paininOH (08-13-2013)
    Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Cauda equina syndrome is an acute or sudden onset syndrome characterized by sciatica, severe back pain, decreased sensation over the area that would touch a saddle if you were riding a horse & urine incontinence or retention caused by lower spinal cord/lumbar spinal nerves being compressed or injured. Arachnoiditis is a chronic condition that when its in the lumbar area affects the cauda equina/ lower spinal cord comprised of spinal nerves & it is caused by invasive medical procedures(i.e. a traumatic spinal tap, epidural anesthesia, myelograms, back surgery etc) or infection & foreign substances(blood, medicine, dye etc) enter the spinal fluid & start an inflammatory reaction that is progressive & may take weeks, months or years to show up. Cauda equina syndrome is considered a surgical emergency to decompress the nerve/nerves causing the syndrome. Arachnoiditis does not get better or go away if its on one MRI but not the next & the inconsistency could go the other way like you did have it, then didnt & now its there again & it all depends on the radiologist or dr reading the MRI films & what they see, what they report & what they are specifically looking for. Clumped nerve roots may be reported by one radiologist & not by another, the interpretation is as different as drs are in their opinions.

Last edited by gmak; 08-13-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Closed Thread