It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• bladder vs nerve compression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    bladder vs nerve compression

Hi, I hope some one else knows something about this & can help me because it seems such an enormous problem to figure out that it would take a group of drs & even if i went to all of them what are the chances they would collaborate? I have all spinal nerves separated in lumbar & are scarred to dura completely, no spinal fluid there & now am having bladder problems like retention, spasms, trouble getting it started & i dont know if from usual "fifty something" bladder issue or if it is from the nerve compression. Does anyone have any ideas on how it could be determined? In the past NS & gyn & urologist have never answered me on how this could be determined & i dont want to have surgery on bladder & then find out it was from arachnoiditis!

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
    Whynowthis (12-14-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
    Whynowthis
    Veteran
    (female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
    Re: bladder vs nerve compression

Hi gmak!! I wish I knew how to help you. I have heard arachnoiditis can cause bladder and bowel problems, and I too have problems with my bladder. I urinate way too frequently, have spasms, and no strong stream, just little dribbles. I'm not really sure how one could go about finding out if it is due to arachnoiditis, or if it is a problem with your bladder. I saw a urogynecologist to see what the problem was for me, and they did urodynamic testing on me (ouch! No fun!!!) and it just showed I have a small bladder. (Which is surprisingly quite rare, a lot of people think they have a small bladder, but its usually just overactive). So he recommended pelvic floor physical therapy, along with an over active bladder med. I do feel the med has worked after they increased my dosage. I didn't do the pelvic floor pt, although I probably should have. I would suggest maybe seeing a Urogynecologist to see if they can figure out what is causing it! I hate you having to be so miserable! Don't know if this helps, but I hope it does! Good luck sweetie!!

Last edited by Whynowthis; 12-13-2013 at 08:27 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
    gmak (12-14-2013)
    Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi why, Thank you so much! I think the urodynamis testing was ordered for me a few years ago by gynecologist but it stopped the diagnosis process because after i learned what urodynamic testing was i never went to have it! I dont think i can do that! Truthfully, i didnt want to. I made an appt with a urogynecologist but the day of appt my back pain made it impossible to go! So, now i am hoping antibiotics buy me time to see him after the new year instead of now at Christmas time! I am better from cipro but arach is playing a part in this i just dont know how much of a part it is though, will let you know. Glad the medicine is helping you & maybe med to help overactive bladder would help me so will ask the dr! Thanks again!

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
    Whynowthis (12-16-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
    Whynowthis (12-16-2013)
    Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
    Whynowthis
    Veteran
    (female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

I don't blame you for not wanting to do the urodynamic testing! I didn't know what all it entailed, and had I known, I wouldn't have done it either! It was terribly uncomfortable!!! My regular doctor who referred me to urogynecologist told me she thought they would want to do a cystoscope, so that's what I was expecting when I made the appt initially. I hope the cipro is helping you! Is it?? Maybe the overactive bladder meds would help you? They now have one over the counter which is a patch. Might be worth a try before you get in to see doctor???

The Following User Says Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
    gmak (12-17-2013)
    Old 02-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I went to another ob/gyn dr this week & he referred me to urogynecologist & for urodynamic studies & said that he thought after exam that most all of my bladder symptoms are caused from arach & damaged nerve rootlets in my back & if I have the bladder suspension surgery with mesh the bladder pinned to the L5-S1 vertebrae that has been operated on 4 times & probably wouldn't support the weight of my bladder being pinned to it & the weight of full bladder could cause me more severe back pain & may not even be accessible due to scar tissue from arach & if urodynamic studies showed my symptoms weren't neurogenic & surgery a go then would have to have neurosurgeon present during surgery.

Last edited by gmak; 02-22-2014 at 10:24 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
    WhistleDixie (02-23-2014)
    Closed Thread