It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Arachnoiditis not sure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
    chavela47
    (female)

chavela47 HB User
    Unhappy Arachnoiditis not sure

I fell at a board meeting and landed on my bottom. This happed in 6/10 and by 12/10 I had back surgery less than a month later I was having tingling, numbness and weakness in the right leg, severe shooting pain like an electric shock (sensation) on right thigh, severe muscle cramp on right calf that did not go away for weeks, spasms and uncontrollable twitching especially when I was lying in bed. I have bladder and bowel problems and no sex life.
    I am very confused and in pain. I have had 3 MRIs. One before surgery and 2 after surgery. The last two were done with & without contrast. These are the findings.
    08/11/2010 First MRI
    -There is focal fat versus hemangioma in the L1 vertebral body. L4 focal superior endplate defect is compatible with Schmorl’s node. L3-4 through L5-S1 disc desiccation notable with minimal loss of dis height at L5-S1.Pediles appear congenitally small in the lower lumbar spine. Nerve roots are lumped in the lower end of the thecal sac. Paraspinous soft tissue assessment is grossly unremarkable.
    L2-3 Mild facet hypertrophy.
    L3-4 Mild facet hypertrophy with a minimal 1 mm broad based disc bulge.
    L4-5 Mild facet hypertrophy left greater than right with minimal ligamentum flavum infolding. Borderline left lateral recess stenosis is appreciated. Nerve roots appear slightly lumped at this level.
    L5-S1 moderate facet hypertrophy on the right and mild on the left. A right subarticular zone disc protrusion extending to the far right lateral aspect is noted. Disc material extends nearly 4.3 mm and there is right lateral recess stenosis. Disic material contacts the lateral aspect of the right exiting L5 nerve. There is moderate narrowing of the right neural foramen.
    03/04/2011-Second MRI (with Imaging was acquired with plus post-T1 and sagittal views after the injection of 20 cc of intravenous gadolinium chelate)
    -There is focal fatty island or hemangioma 8 mm in diameter in the central aspect of L1. Stable prominent disc desiccation at lower three lumbar discs with moderate degenerative thinning at L5-S1. Status post right laminectomy at L5-S1 there is presumed postsurgical resection of a portion of the right ligamentum flavum and probably partial right facetectomy at L5-S1. There is additional mild enhancing sar surrounding the horizontal course of the right S1 root.
    It states that there is no lumping of the nerve rootlets or abnormal post-contrast enhancement to suggest arachnoiditis.
    L2-3 There is stable moderate facet arthropathy and ligamentum flavum buckling.
    L3-4 Minor posterior disc osteophyte complex of 1-2 mm.
    L4-5 Slight posterior disc osteophyte complex of 2 mm with a 3 mm central to right paracentral disc bulge extending slightly inferior to the interspace. This is not resulting in any compression of the thecal sac or nerve root compromise. There is near contact of the descending right L5 root.
    L5-S1 Status post right laminectomy. There is fairly extensive enhancing scar in the soft tissues posterior to the laminotomy defect plus in the area of the laminectomy defect. Within the scar is a fluid filled cystic structure measuring 8 mm and there is only slight enhancement of the cyst wall. There is mild enhancing scar partially surrounding the proximal course of the right S1 root. Evaluation the posterior disc at L5-S1, shows a stable posterior protrusion of 4-5 mm across the endplate margin although greater centrally and to the right with slight extension to the right foramen. This also contacts the right S1 root in the lateral recess. There is additional contact without flattening or change since 08/11/10 on the descending right L5 root.
    06/07/2013- Third MRI (IV contrast was administered)
    -The bony anal in the lumbar area is relatively small on a ongenital basis (short pedicles). Slight dis narrowing at L5-S1 and there is disc desiation at the lower three lumbar levels.
    It states that the distal thoracic cord and cauda equine appear unremarkable.
    L2-3 Mild to moderate facet arthropathy.
    L3-4 slight progression of broad-based disc bulging with approximately 3 mm of broad-based posterolateral extension now present. Mild to moderate facet arthropathy is present with some thickening of ligamentum flavum. There is only mild lateral recess narrowing with no foraminal narrowing.
    L4-5 Desiccation and stable broad-based disc bulging of 2-3 mm with some slight extension inferior to the disc space and mild foraminal narrowing, left greater than right.
    L5-S1 There has been decrease in the amount of enhancing sar tissue in the area of the laminectomy defet and posterolateral to the thecal sac. There ontinues to be 4-5 mm of broad-based dis protrusion most pronounced in the right paraentral area where there is 5.5 mm of posterior extension narrowing the right lateral recess and contacting the traversing right S1 rootlet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #2
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
    Re: Arachnoiditis not sure

Hi Chavela,
    Yes, its terrible when you go for surgery to feel better, you end up in same pain or even worse sometimes.
    It takes a very long time to recover after spinal surgery; even not very complicated spinal surgery may take up to a year to heal. So many ups and downs, so many those bumps on a road when you feel no more hope...
    Like my surgeon used to say: have tons of patience.
    For some people it can take a year and for some 3; some always will feel pain and discomfort. But many lucky ones go back to work without any complications.
    You said it affects your bowel and bladder - can you please explain HOW.
    My suggestion: if you see something really seriously bother you, if you see you keep getting new serious symptoms and your DR doesn't have the answers, the good idea would be to go for second opinion in a different area where they don't know your Dr now.

I am not a DR to explain your MRI's reports, but just based on my knowledge, I don't see any signs of ARC. Of course only your Dr can "read" it for you right so make sure you ask all questions regarding this matter.

All the best on your recovery.
    Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
    chavela47 (02-26-2014)
    Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
    chavela47
    (female)

chavela47 HB User

Thank you for your reply. About my bladder problem, I go to the bathroom 4 times in 1 hr. and I cannot hold it. I have tried holding it and I can't. I my bladder is always full and it started 3 years ago I noticed after the operation. My bowel is not every day but I can have an accident 2 0r 3 times a week. I must wear a diaper.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

What did the doctor suggest after reading the last MRI? It would appear that you still have some nerve impingement, particularly at the L5-S1 level.

Is most of your pain on the right side/leg?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
    chavela47
    (female)

chavela47 HB User

yes, I have a Herniated Nucleus Pulposus at L5-S1 (HNP). I have seen 4 different doctors and an urologist and they all agree but nothing is being done. They all agree I need surgery again.

Closed Thread