It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• question on a ANA Titer postitive

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
    gsummerkay97
    (female)

gsummerkay97 HB User
    question on a ANA Titer postitive

I had a laminectomy last year in September. Lets just say it did not go well. I was in the hospital for a week had a hematoma, went home had infection as well. have gone through Ct myolegram and discogram and other testing. I have Arachnoiditis at the L5 S1. Along with sciatica nerve pain down my left leg and numbness. My knee will also give way and I can fall at any given moment. A little over a month a go I started having stiffness in my joints and not being able to lift my arms up over my head to remove my shirts etc.. or grasp things and open. I lay down at night and hurt all night long. I recently saw my family doctor and finally got him to believe me and he ran some labs. I have an ANA that came back elevated anyone know what that means it was 1:280 the ANA pattern is Homogeneous. I have read many things and am worried don't need anything else wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: question on a ANA Titer postitive

Hi and welcome. I am sorry you had such severe complications from your recent surgery, and now this may shed some light on things, as they may be connected, in my opinion. ANA is a general test used to investigate possible connective tissue disorders, such as lupus, Sjogren's, RA, etc. It could explain the stiffness and all over pain you feel at night, but by itself, is not diagnostic of anything specific. More blood tests looking for other auto-antibodies related to autoimmune diseases will need to be done, as well as an evaluation of all symptoms and illnesses over your lifetime. Your titer is high, and the higher it is, usually the more meaningful. It starts at 1:40, 1:80, 1:160, 1:320, 1:640, then 1:1280. The pattern (homogenous) is common and non-specific. I think people with autoimmune connective tissue disorders are more likely to develop arachnoiditis and infection following back surgery, so this is how there may be a connection. You will need a consult with a rheumatologist who will evaluate all this and try to put the pieces together to form a diagnosis. Your family Dr. should be able to refer you to someone. I hope this process goes smoothly for you and you will keep in touch here with us.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    gmak (08-29-2014)
    Old 08-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi gsummerkay, Im so sorry about your recent surgery going so badly. I have adhesive arachnoiditis too from L3 to tailbone & had surgeries, myelogram, epidural anesthesia, spinal fluid leaks, etc. Is your family dr the dr that diagnosed you with arach ? I had an auto immune disease ulcerative colitis but its in remission. Its not unusual for me to have pain down legs or hurting at night with arachnoiditis but i hope that if there is another cause of joint pain that the rheumatologist can really help you find the problem & treat it & the cause of elevated ANA. Are you being treated for constant or chronic pain?

Old 10-03-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
    tbmbjm
    (female)

tbmbjm HB User

In 2004 is when I first learned that my ANA was over 1200 & CRP & ESR elevated. That rheumy told me nothing was wrong with me. That you can be born with that high of an ANA or it can indicate cancer. All tests were run-no cancer. A neurologist disagreed & said I definitely had some type of auto immune disorder & sent me to another rheumy, who diagnosed fibromyalgia(which I feel is a "catch all" category when you don't have all the positives for lupus or MS). Had a lumbar fusion in 2005 & things have been downhill ever since. It was unsuccessful. I am very stiff when I first get up & the pain gets worse as the day goes on. I am up almost all night long. Sleep about a total of 4 hours max. In the past 10 years I have seen multiple doctors with varying, different opinions. In my case, my father has had all the same problems through the years. I have 3 siblings & I am the only one who has all the same symptoms he does. His only diagnosis was degenerative disc disease although he had an elevated ANA and a muscle biopsy that was abnormal (but once again-wasn't lupus or MS-so just abnormal). I honestly think they don't know exactly what it is-so I got put in the fibromyalgia category!

Reply Reply