PDA

View Full Version : High platelet count

MJ445
03-26-2015, 09:46 PM
Hi there

My platelet count has been high for more than 4 years, most of which time I was unaware of this because the Rheumatologist I was under chose not to tell me. I was first told 2 1/2 years ago when I was pregnant with my little girl. It's always been around the 500/600 mark, but crept up to 800 at one point.

I was diagnosed with Antiphospholipid Syndrome around 4 years ago and I've also been told I have a connective tissue disease, although they're unable to diagnose which one until symptoms arise.

On my last few blood tests it's been noted that my iron levels are very low and have been slowly decreasing, but not quite anaemic. I was told this could be the reason for the high platelets and may be put on iron tablets.

I've been told if my platelets are still high on my next visit to the haematologist, I'll be sent for a bone marrow test, which I'm not really keen on the idea of, but if it gets answers then I'll have to do it.

I've recently had an MRI scan to look at a lump I have, which I've been told not to worry about because it doesn't look like anything serious... However I've been worried sick about it. I'm awaiting the results and hoping its nothing serious.

In my wisdom, I decided to research links between high platelets and cancer and succeeded in terrifying myself. I was already aware that high platelets can be an indicator of leukaemia, but I found other info that doesn't sound too great. Apparently 40% of people with high platelet counts are found to have some form of cancer.

I'll be asking my haematologist about this when I see her next Thursday. I just wondered if anyone has any knowledge about this who can either put my mind at ease or give me advice what to do, is there any tests I can go for to make sure I don't have any cancers?

Thanks for any help, advice or even just reassurance...

Mandy x

swess
05-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Hi Mandy

What is the outcome now?