PDA

View Full Version : Positive SSA Then Negative SSA???

WhiteLilyRose
04-05-2015, 04:07 PM
i'm so confused - i have many systemic symptoms of sjogren's, numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, joint and muscle pain, swollen salivary glands, dry eyes, extremely dry skin, etc... i also have a strong family history of autoimmune disease - my mom has sjogren's, raynauds, and RA. my ANA and all other autoimmune related tests have been within normal range, except for my SSA which was high at 134, with a reference range to 99. SSB was normal as well. my rheumatologist retested me about six months later and my SSA went down to 8! the same thing happened with a thyroid test i had. off the charts one test, "high" normal the next. what is going on??? has anyone else had these fluctuations in blood test results but still diagnosed with sjogren's?

any help would be appreciated! :confused:

lily

ladybud
04-06-2015, 06:59 AM
It is very common for lab values to fluctuate in most things, including antibody levels. SSA can be positive in Sjogren's as well as in lupus and MCTD. Because of the fluctuations, these labs are often repeated to "catch" a positive when it is occurring. With your symptoms, I would encourage you to have other labs like ANA, anti-DS DNA, anti-RNP repeated at intervals, best when symptoms are flaring. You might find other things that are + at times, negative at times. I would also be sure to get anti-thyroid antibodies measured, not just the hormone levels, to check for Hashimoto's.

WhiteLilyRose
04-07-2015, 03:53 PM
thanks ladybud, i appreciate your response. i seem to be starting a flare right now, so i will make an appointment with my rheumy and see what my blood work looks like now. i am taking gabapentin for symptoms, but it doesn't seem to touch the severe flares i seem to get, it only helps me maintain a steady level of comfort. do you take anything that works for you?

ladybud
04-08-2015, 07:45 AM
I just take Naproxen, 500 mg twice a day, for pain and inflammation, but I am also on Prednisone, Placquenil, Methotrexate and now Xeljanz to keep the arthritis quieted down. I got too sedated with gabapentin but it did help the pain. I find Tylenol even helps with the achy muscle pain, but the Naproxen helps the joints more. Sorry you are in a flare right now, but maybe it can serve a purpose in getting a diagnosis clarified for you. Good luck with your appointment and hope this flare is short-lived!

SHERBEAR61
08-24-2015, 12:49 PM
I take Plaquenil for Sjogrens. I really can't tell if it helps or not. I have tingling in my hands and legs, joint pain, severe back pain. I have also fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and Epstein-Barr so who knows which auto immune disorders causing all the problems right now. I may have to get an epidural in my lower lumbar spine for the pain. If anyone has anything this year I would really appreciate it .