PDA

View Full Version : Lab Work Came in ... Whew!

IrisheaglesOne
04-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Good Afternoon All!

My husbands lab work came in today and his cholesterol numbers are very concerning. Here are the numbers:

Cholesterol, total-282 (Ref Range: 100-199)
Triglycerides-350 (Ref Range:0-149)
Hdl -47 (normal)
VLdl- 70 (ReF Range:5-40)
Ldl- 165 (Ref Range: 0-99)

He has high blood pressure but it is very well controlled with medication. He is 60 years old and a tiny bit overweight (within a few lbs of the overweight numbers on the regular charts)

My questions are: Can this be significantly helped with a change in diet (our diet is not that great and we could make a LOT of changes to it)?

Are there natural ways to get cholesterol down?

I hate for him to have to take medication if there is another way. If there is not, then medication is best as his health is more important than anything else.

Any information would be very helpful. I will go and read the threads too, for more information.

Angela

tess201
04-10-2015, 07:15 AM
I would strongly suggest adhering to a low carb diet. As for alternative supplements:

Red Yeast Rice (by Nature's Plus) 2 in the evening will help lower LDL

Flush Niacin will help to raise HDL but you have to start at a very low dose (like 50 mg.) and ramp up very slowly! Tablets can be scored.

Neptune Krill oil for Triglycerides, which is the most problematic of his numbers

There are numerous posts here about alternative measures so you might want to peruse them as well.

Tess

Cardiovascular
06-13-2015, 12:41 PM
It's almost comical to recommend three alternative supplements to replace one pill (a statin).

Dietary changes certainly can lower total cholesterol and LDL but a reduction in weight coupled with exercise will have a more profound effect.

Why take red yeast rice (which contains a statin) in place of a statin itself? Because it is an "alternative therapy?"

Niacin is no longer recommended. Increasing HDL has NEVER been shown to be effective in reduction of cardiovascular events in any study and niacin use has actually led to worse outcomes (i.e. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1300955 ). Low HDL is simply a risk factor.

The triglycerides will come down with weight reduction and exercise. The main indication for treatment of triglycerides on its own is if it's significantly elevated (>500) with some other consequence, such as pancreatitis.

yackedar
06-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Actually, the extracts of Red Yeast Rice, contain starch, sterols, isoflavones, and monounsaturated fatty acids. Depending on the Monascus strains used and the fermentation conditions, it may contain polyketides called monacolins. One of these monacolins is named 'Monacolin K', typically 0.2% per 5 mg as compared to 20–40 mg of the drug lovastatin (Mevacor, Altocor), which was derived from Monacolin 'K'.

As 'Monacolin K' has now recently been banned as an ingredient of all red yeast rice products sold in the USA, how can RYR sold on the US market still reduce LDL cholesterol by between 25-40%?

Well, all Monacolins possess hydroxymethyglutaryl coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase-inhibitory activity. To date, there are fourteen known Monacolins, so that leaves 13 others that have not been trialled. Nature's Plus RYR contain nine of these Monacolins.

RYR is a natural product, proven to work without the dangerous side-effects of the now over-rated Statin drug. RYR is an excellent alternative for patients who suffer from such side-effects.

Furthermore, Vitamin B3 not only increases HDL, which is used as the base Lipoprotein for all cholesterol ratio measurements, but has been proven time and again to increase the size of LDL cholesterol particles from pattern B (small and dense) to the fairly harmless (less prone to oxidation) pattern A (large and buoyant).

Low Triglycerides/High HDL means high (Pattern A) LDL and low (Pattern B) LDL.
High Triglycerides/Low HDL means low (Pattern A) LDL and high (Pattern B) LDL.

Niacin (VitaminB3) is used extensively in Europe by the medical establishment in conjunction with a Statin, where required.

Yack.

tess201
06-14-2015, 04:29 AM
Ditto - to the above!

Tess

Cardiovascular
06-14-2015, 06:59 AM
Show me one study from a reputable journal where raising a patient's HDL lowers that patient's cardiovascular risk and I'll show you five that show no benefit or an increased risk. HDL is simply a risk factor and we have not been able to modify it in any meaningful way. One theory postulated is that it is not the quantity but the quality (certain HDL molecules are more important than others), but I'm not sure how much I agree with this.

No one prescribes niacin anymore. The ones that still do are because 1) they do not know or do not understand the most recent literature; 2) their patients have "side effects" from every other lipid-modifying medications; 3) vitamins and alternative medicines must always be the best! (Note sarcasm).

Also, a statin is a statin is a statin. It does not matter if they are "naturally occurring." Some are more potent than others (which is often necessary for secondary prevention), but they all have the same side effects because they all work through the same mechanism. Red yeast rice is no exception - and to say it is because it is "natural" is a bit deceptive.

yackedar
06-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Sorry, a couple of your opinions are not worthy of a reply.

I presume you are referring to the two study results of 2014 using the prescription drugs, Tredaptive and Niaspan.

Even following these studies carried out in the US, the recommendations for the prescription of Niacin may still be appropriate for people with high heart risks who cannot tolerate Statins, and also for people with high triglyceride levels that cannot be controlled by other means.

It would appear that even laboratory modified vitamin B3 has by far less serious side-effects compared to the ever escalating major side-effects of Statins.

May I ask, what is your understanding for the purpose of High density lipoproteins?

Yack.

itburns2004
08-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Good Afternoon All!

My husbands lab work came in today and his cholesterol numbers are very concerning. Here are the numbers:

Cholesterol, total-282 (Ref Range: 100-199)
Triglycerides-350 (Ref Range:0-149)
Hdl -47 (normal)
VLdl- 70 (ReF Range:5-40)
Ldl- 165 (Ref Range: 0-99)

He has high blood pressure but it is very well controlled with medication. He is 60 years old and a tiny bit overweight (within a few lbs of the overweight numbers on the regular charts)

My questions are: Can this be significantly helped with a change in diet (our diet is not that great and we could make a LOT of changes to it)?

Are there natural ways to get cholesterol down?

I hate for him to have to take medication if there is another way. If there is not, then medication is best as his health is more important than anything else.

Any information would be very helpful. I will go and read the threads too, for more information.

Angela

itburns2004
08-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Too high. What did the doc end up doing for you or did you fix it yourself? Have you tried policosonols?

Homeflash
09-02-2015, 11:08 AM
definitely have to fix triglyceride first, that is way too high!
Take fish oil for that.. that will lower than that.
for high blood pressure, take garlic oil
for total cholesterol.. i am still searching a way myself , a safe way to do .. maybe b3, fiber

Homeflash
09-02-2015, 11:10 AM
definitely have to fix triglyceride first, that is way too high!
Take fish oil for that.. that will lower than that.
for high blood pressure, take garlic oil
for total cholesterol.. i am still searching a way myself , a safe way to do .. maybe b3, fiber