PDA

View Full Version : LDL is 97

Husseb1
04-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Hi all, needed to hear what everyone thinks . This is my first post.

Total Cholesterol = 208
Triglycerides = 62
HDL=99
LDL=97

I'm 67 and in relatively good health. My docs want me on a statin because they want my LDL at 70 or less.
I was mo simvistatin for a short time and did not like it. My liver numbers went up so I took myself off. Now my liver numbers are normal.
I'd very much appreciate any input.

52ken
04-22-2015, 03:33 PM
I'm almost 63 with great numbers but yours are fantastic. The TC is 208 but with the high HDL it would have to be. Your ratios are also fantastic. Your ratios are almost too good. The only reason I could see for any doctor to subscribe to meds is if you had a heart attack and even then I think you should get a second opinion. With your HDL being so high and your tris being so low that is really good.. Your ratio of HDL to LDL is the best I have ever seen and that's what protects you from blockages. Being on statins is a last resort and has many bad side effects. Google a cholesterol calculator and you will see what I mean. Let me know how you feel about your numbers.

Titchou
04-22-2015, 04:34 PM
I concur! Fire that doctor. I can't believe with that HDL and your ratios that he said that.

tess201
04-23-2015, 03:25 AM
I agree about firing your doc! Outrageous that he would suggest statins with your numbers! This is becoming all too common. Patient's need to start speaking up to docs and against this carte blanche dispensing of statins.

Tess

yackedar
04-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Once again, a mainstream doctor just looking at the total cholesterol......Blimey! it's over 200..this patient needs to go on a statin.......

I echo all the above comments Husseb1......get a repeat Lipid profile completed in six months time and let us know the figures. Hopefully they should all be circa what they are now.

What ever you are doing, breathing (lol), eating and drinking, keep it up.

As for your LDL figure...Here are some reference figures for patients who have NO major health problems. (ie: Diabetes, Heart etc.):-

Less than 100mg/dL Optimal
100-129mg/dL Near optimal/above optimal
130-159 mg/dL Borderline high
160-189 mg/dL High
190 mg/dL and above Very High

Fantastic ratios and individual figures to achieve those Oh! so desirable ratios.

Yack.

Cardiovascular
06-13-2015, 12:17 PM
An LDL of 97 should not be treated with a statin UNLESS it is being used for secondary prevention (known coronary artery disease, prior myocardial infarction or stroke, peripheral vascular disease, etc.). In that case, it is used more for the pleiotrophic effects rather and less so for the lipid lowering properties.