PDA

View Full Version : Confused - Should I be worried?

Toad19
06-15-2015, 12:33 AM
Hello,

I have 3 young children under 6. Like any parent I get my fair share of viruses/bugs from them. The last one I dismissed as just a bug as my lymph nodes in my neck felt a little tight. I gave it a couple weeks and went in and saw my doctor. She ordered the full CBC panel which came back normal/negative for HEP/HIV/AIDS. My lymphocytes were a low normal but she wasn't concerned. I came back a week later. No other symptoms other than my lymph nodes were still feeling swollen. She ordered a chest x-ray and an ultra sound. The x-ray came back normal. The ultrasound came back positive for two somewhat swollen lymph nodes above the clavicle. I have since had a CT scan. The radiologist stated that the lymph nodes appear to be inflamed (not swollen) and irregular in shape. My doctor stated that to her they show as a little inflamed but of normal shape.

I have allergies with some post nasal drip. My lymph nodes are not increasing in size and aren't visible in appearance. It's been at least two months. I am currently taking amoxicillan to see if I have a hidden infection. Otherwise...I have no other symptoms. I have never smoked, rarely drink. No weight loss, no night sweats. Nothing!!!

I have made an appointment with a general surgeon for a biopsy.

Can anyone shed some light on what may be going on?

Thank-you!

neuroproblem
06-21-2015, 12:53 AM
Hello,

I have 3 young children under 6. Like any parent I get my fair share of viruses/bugs from them. The last one I dismissed as just a bug as my lymph nodes in my neck felt a little tight. I gave it a couple weeks and went in and saw my doctor. She ordered the full CBC panel which came back normal/negative for HEP/HIV/AIDS. My lymphocytes were a low normal but she wasn't concerned. I came back a week later. No other symptoms other than my lymph nodes were still feeling swollen. She ordered a chest x-ray and an ultra sound. The x-ray came back normal. The ultrasound came back positive for two somewhat swollen lymph nodes above the clavicle. I have since had a CT scan. The radiologist stated that the lymph nodes appear to be inflamed (not swollen) and irregular in shape. My doctor stated that to her they show as a little inflamed but of normal shape.

I have allergies with some post nasal drip. My lymph nodes are not increasing in size and aren't visible in appearance. It's been at least two months. I am currently taking amoxicillan to see if I have a hidden infection. Otherwise...I have no other symptoms. I have never smoked, rarely drink. No weight loss, no night sweats. Nothing!!!

I have made an appointment with a general surgeon for a biopsy.

Can anyone shed some light on what may be going on?

Thank-you!

sounds like its from an infection/allergies, that happens. I had "swollen" lymph nodes in each of my hips near my groin, i though lymphoma as well, but the doc said it was from an infection(dont know the cause), sometimes it stays like that permanently. Night sweats, weight loss, fever that rises and fall from week to week is usually a sign.
I also had a painful and swollen lymph node when i had a terrible mouth ulcer, but when that went away so did the lymph node swelling.

Toad19
06-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Hello Neuroproblem,

Thank-you for the reply. My doctor did try some nasal spray antihistamines quite awhile back. I thought about allergies as well. They did nothing other than help a little with post nasal drip. I have since gone in and spoke to my doctor again. She stated the CT scan does show two lymph nodes of oval shape, but she said normally you can see into them through the CT Scan. She said they look fatty. I'm not sure what that means. When I asked her if she thought I'd had cancer or lymphoma she said she didn't know. She said cancers and lymphomas are always on the list, but she didn't know. I had some pain from my neck nodes about a month ago. They hurt while eating, drinking and swallowing. They've more or less died down now. I get the odd brief pain once in a while. I just finished 10 days of amoxicillin. I don't think it did anything.

I still don't have any symptoms. Just worried and panicking!

Thanks!

neuroproblem
06-26-2015, 01:34 AM
IF the lymph node were cancers, they should be hard lumps since it would be a tumor and you would have symptoms of lymphoma as well, night sweat, tremors, cyclica fevers. Your blood test would also show increase amount wbc, biopsy are usually used to determine infection, or something else.
When i allergies due to house dust mites(and indoor pollution) in general. I had steroid spray, they did nothing. as spray arnt effective, because the spray only affects the area where the medication lands. I used oral OTC antihistimines, they work the best, because its a systemic effect from the drugs, they do tend to dry out your sinuses and mouth, though thats not a problem if you have allergies.
Have you tried OTC antihistimines, you mean know them as BEnadryl, zyrtec,claritan, allegra. These are brand names and is very expensive.
The generic names are Diphenhydramine, ceterizine, lotaradine, fexofenadine. The first one is 1st generation, it causes drowsiness, and its good for four hours, but the side effects are unpleasant.
Different antihistamines work differently for everyone. And its possible to build tolerance to one of them if you used them continiously.
DO you get skin manifestations, like hives dermatitis from allergies.

i WOULD assume the lymph nodes are on both sides. Lymphoma usually shows up at one side only, in initial stages.

Toad19
06-27-2015, 07:41 AM
Well, I must say you're putting my mind at ease. I don't have any symptoms per say. My nodes are a tough call. They feel full to the touch. If I push down on them they seem to move. They're on both sides of my neck.That's providing I'm palpitating the correct ones! LOL My CBC blood test came back fine other than the lymphocytes being in the low normal range. Everything else was perfect! But, can you not have good blood work and still have cancer? I'm still kind of unsure of what the doctor meant by fatty lymph nodes...I think I will try some of the OTC meds that you have mentioned. I do have post nasal drip. The nose spray I have has done nothing other than give me a sore throat! I used to get a dermatitis on my right arm. It was there for months. It went away about 5 months ago.

neuroproblem
06-27-2015, 02:16 PM
fatty lymph nodes, according to online sources, says it could be from aging, or being obese. its rather normal.
a low cbc that is normal, does not sound like lymphoma, lymphoma usually causes a high increase in lymphocytes, although they are abnormal(you would need more specialized testing in order to determine which kind of lymphocyte is high. lower than normal can indicate chronic infections, or inflammation.

You should try the 2nd generations first benadryl, and similar drugs are too powerful(they will sedate you, and you will have more side effects.

try ceterizine,fexofenadine, and lotaradine first. and make sure get the generics first, because they are much cheaper. If one otc works for you, then you can order bulk suppy on ****** or another site,costco also sells otc to members for cheap.
steroid spray gives me the same thing.

If cancer is suspected, a pathology report usually look higher than normal numbers of cells, and those cells are abnormal.

I have post nasal all that time, and antihistamines help got rid of most of them. sprays are too weak for allergies, and only oral systemic drugs work. since allergies are systemic effect, even if you only have nasal issue, a blood test shows you produce antibodies to certain allergens.

You should also get allergy tested for house dust mites, pollen, etc.

Toad19
06-28-2015, 07:59 AM
Well, I'm hoping the lymph nodes are just of no use and can be removed. They can be tender sometimes when I eat, drink or swallow.

Pathology report? Are you talking from the blood work? Have you had CBC blood work come back normal when in fact it wasn't? I mean mine did show low normal lymphocytes so I gather it is useful.

I had allergy tests done years ago. It would be interesting to see what has changed over the years...

I bought some cetirizine yesterday. I haven't seen any change yet. I'm sure it takes a couple days.

neuroproblem
06-29-2015, 01:02 AM
I forgot to mention otc antihistamines takes a while to build up in your system, may take up to a week or more to see any positive results. It also depends on your severity of the allergies, some otc may not work for some people, others may work.

Lymph nodes are very important to our health, it helps drains the fluid from our blood and fight infections. low and normal is not very concerning, if its low with inflammation, more testing would be warranted. Extremely high wbc, would be a red flag as well.

You should do new allergy tests, allergies can develop over years, so you might have something positive, that was negative years ago.

ceterizine is good start, if that doesnt work, like you tried it for a month or few weeks, try lotaradine, or fexofenadine.
if all of those fails, you can try the 1st generation (diphenhydramine, chlorperamine, or something similar) although diphenhydramine is the cheapest, it has a very short half life, about 4 hours, but you will feel sedated within an hour of taking it though.(best used at night time when going to sleep).
if all fails, you can go to doc after testing, and have them prescribe something stronger.

ALso when your doing allergy testing, make sure dont take antihistamines, for at least a week or more, because it will make the results of the tests(negative) for allergens. if

Elizabeth40
07-15-2015, 10:45 PM
IF the lymph node were cancers, they should be hard lumps since it would be a tumor and you would have symptoms of lymphoma as well, night sweat, tremors, cyclica fevers. Your blood test would also show increase amount wbc, biopsy are usually used to determine infection, or something else.
When i allergies due to house dust mites(and indoor pollution) in general. I had steroid spray, they did nothing. as spray arnt effective, because the spray only affects the area where the medication lands. I used oral OTC antihistimines, they work the best, because its a systemic effect from the drugs, they do tend to dry out your sinuses and mouth, though thats not a problem if you have allergies.
Have you tried OTC antihistimines, you mean know them as BEnadryl, zyrtec,claritan, allegra. These are brand names and is very expensive.
The generic names are Diphenhydramine, ceterizine, lotaradine, fexofenadine. The first one is 1st generation, it causes drowsiness, and its good for four hours, but the side effects are unpleasant.
Different antihistamines work differently for everyone. And its possible to build tolerance to one of them if you used them continiously.
DO you get skin manifestations, like hives dermatitis from allergies.

i WOULD assume the lymph nodes are on both sides. Lymphoma usually shows up at one side only, in initial stages.

Elizabeth40
07-15-2015, 10:48 PM
I beg to differ. Lymph Nodes won't always be hard in the exception of Lymphoma, in which case they may be rubbery.
Also, in Lymphoma, Cervical Lymphadenopathy is not necessarily secluded to one side of the neck. Just saying.
Also, blood tests are often within "normal" range in Lymphomas.