PDA

View Full Version : OCD - Health Anxiety

princess223eb
06-18-2015, 07:20 AM
This is my first post. I have been diagnosed with GAD and OCD several years ago. My Health Anxiety is spiraling out of control. I am obsessed with Cancer - every single ache and pain leads me to believe I am dying. My spouse loses patience with me and doesn't understand why I am so preoccupied. I spend so much time looking things up on the internet - I know I shouldn't but I cannot stop.

I don't want to keep upping meds. I want to stop this, not just put a band-aid over it. I feel like I will never get over this - and I'm not sure I want to - I'm afraid the minute I stop obsessing over Cancer (or any other disease) is when I will get it.

Help:(

lin14534
06-18-2015, 09:56 AM
This is my first post. I have been diagnosed with GAD and OCD several years ago. My Health Anxiety is spiraling out of control. I am obsessed with Cancer - every single ache and pain leads me to believe I am dying. My spouse loses patience with me and doesn't understand why I am so preoccupied. I spend so much time looking things up on the internet - I know I shouldn't but I cannot stop.

I don't want to keep upping meds. I want to stop this, not just put a band-aid over it. I feel like I will never get over this - and I'm not sure I want to - I'm afraid the minute I stop obsessing over Cancer (or any other disease) is when I will get it.

Help:(

I am currently 63 yrs old and have felt like you do as long as I can remember so I know how you feel. I have several friends that have been diagnosed and I became so scared that I stopped going to my internist for my yearly check up. I'm so afraid that he'll find something terrible and deadly in my blood work that I kept putting it off. I recently went for my gyno appt (all good) and my yearly mammogram (all good). This past month when I went for my mammo a close friend went with me for her's also. We both had the 3D image you can opt to have if you have dense breast tissue. She was diagnosed with breast cancer that day. The dr told her that it was great that she chose the 3D one cause they might have missed it. So, they got it early and in stage 1...which is great. I finally made an appt with my internist for Sept to have a physical. If I dwell on it too much I feel sick about it and want to back out but I know I should go. Have you tried therapy? It does help. My 27 yr old daughter has this anxiety and exercise and yoga help her a lot.