PDA

View Full Version : Need serious help with lab results

tlrway
07-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Recently diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis after a +ANA, titer 1:80, homogenous pattern and also a thyroperoxidase result of greater than 900 (range less than 9). My sed rate was 15 (0-20 range). My CRP was 1.010 (.160-8 range). My dsDNA Antibody screen was 99.98 (range 0-149.99). I finally got my endo to Rx Synthroid last week after my TSH kept climbing. My Rheumatologist I've only seen once...felt I had possibly lupus or Sjogrens too. My symptoms are SEVERE muscle pain, muscle cramps all over..hands, feet, legs, abdomen, forearms, joint paint, dry itchy eyes, dry mouth with geographic tongue, hair loss, fatigue, dizziness and tons of other symptoms. Right now my biggest issue is muscle pain. I'm hurting so bad all over...just want to go to bed and not move...backs of my thigh muscles, neck muscles, rib cage area, back muscles are killing me. Hurts so bad to barely twist my trunk. What I don't understand is my sm antibody, ss-a/ro antibody, ss-b/LA antibody are all negative....and my sed rate n crp aren't significant. Wouldn't they be if I had Sjogrens though? I also had a low vitamin D level...15 (30-100). I see my rheumatologist in two days but wondered what anyone on here thought. Are there any other labs I need to ask for? I had other labs drawn, but nothing significant. I just want to know with certainty what other diagnosis I may have.thank u in advance

ndeichman
07-14-2015, 09:06 AM
I have the same issue with my labwork. Everything has always been normal except my ANA titer, which is high. My rheumie told me that you can't rely on the labwork alone. You have to look at the symptoms and the exam. Some people just have regular labs. It doesn't mean you don't have the disease.

ladybud
07-14-2015, 01:53 PM
Your symptoms of dry eyes and mouth suggest possible Sjogren's, and not everyone with it has + blood tests for it (SSA and SSB). The muscle pain, hair loss, fatigue, joint pain could be consistent with lupus or something similar. I would ask for muscle enzymes to be tested (CK and aldolase) and a Magnesium and Calcium level since you are getting so much pain and spasm. You can have autoimmune disease with normal sed rate and CRP. I would be interested in your rheum's assessment of your anti-dsDNA. I think they are high enough to warrant retesting during a flare of symptoms. A urine should be checked, as lupus can affect the kidneys. Since you just started Synthroid last week, you may start feeling a little more energy, but it takes about 6 weeks to stabilize, then you may need further dose adjustment. Hope that kicks in fast and your appointment goes well.