PDA

View Full Version : Unsure what I have - please help

addlebredpride
07-13-2015, 04:45 AM
Hi, I'm a 19yr old female. My chosen career is in the industry; I train and ride young horses, professionally jump, and am in the process of saving up for a farm of my own. THIS IS ALL NOW IN JEOPARDY.

The day before yesterday, in the late evening, the muscles in my right arm started sporadically jumping. I have always had shaky hands but nothing like this before. It's come and gone in 'fits' since then, sometimes lasting long enough to make the muscle in that arm ache. Around the same time, I became extremely dizzy. The world seems to lurch around me whenever I walk or move my head.

I slept on it, thinking I was just overly tired.

It didn't go away. In fact, it was worse in the morning. I was walking into wall and felt like I would topple over backwards if I stood up. We went to the ER but they were unhelpful, claiming that it could be a form of vertigo or a neurological condition. While at the ER my blood pressure dropped to 98 over 57. I'm usually 123 over 65.

They sent me home, with the number for a neurologist. I plan on calling this morning, but I'm terrified. Horse back riding is the only thing that I have ever wanted to do wih my life, and I'm afraid that I will no longer be able to do that if this is, indeed,, vertigo.

Does anyone know what procedures I can expect at the neurologists? Does anyone have any stories similar to mine?

Mel52
09-27-2015, 08:42 AM
You might want to be tested for POTS. It is a drop of blood pressure upon change of position. It is diagnosed through a tilt table test. There is also a "poor man's" test. have bp taken while you are laying down, then sitting and then standing, to see if there is a big drop. If that is the case, then you would drink more salty fluids to keep the blood pressure stable. Does it happen after riding in hot weather?