PDA

View Full Version : Could there be damage to veins?

CheeseGuy
07-27-2015, 08:37 AM
I suffered multiple fractures in October 2014. They put in a IVC filter to protect from blood clods since I was bedfast for a long time and not on blood thinner. In mid November I had massive blood clots from my ankles and both legs all the way to the IVS filter.
They did a catheter directed thrombolysis ( CDT ) and 72 hours later the interventional radiologist told me they busted up 90 percent of the clots. I have not heard from any doctor after I was released from the hospital. They sent me home with Coumadin pills and regular visits to a co-ag lab. What problems will I encounter in the future. Could there be damage to veins. I'm on workers comp and have to go to doctors they choose

Mg2121
08-04-2015, 03:43 AM
What a disaster this must be for you! I'm sorry you're going through it. They inserted the IVC filter in case you develop more clots, this will catch them preventing it to travel to your lungs or brain causing, sometimes, catastrophic events. It's a safety net almost. Now Coumadin is a strong anticoagulant and as long as your blood remains in the therapeutic range you're not at risk for clotting but it's a hard med in the beginning to stabilize without those frequent trips to the lab to check the range. If the number is too high, you're then at risk of bleeding. If too low, clotting. It will eventually stabilize abs you went need the blood work done as often. The important thing is to take it daily, is recommended to take every at the same time and stay consistent with your diet. Foods high in vitamin K, like leafy green veggies, work against Coumadin. Look them up online. So, if you like to eat salad daily, that's fine but do it daily. They don't want you to eat a ton on one day and none the next few days because your Coumadin level will be harder to regulate.
I hope that wasn't too confusing.

CheeseGuy
08-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Very helpful. When your on workers comp, Doctors want to pass you off to any one but them. These past 10 months has been a Learn as you go process. Thanks for your answer

Mg2121
08-04-2015, 07:26 AM
You're Very welcome. I understand the frustration of dealing with workman's comp very well. I'm also currently out on it since November for a back injury. It's like pulling teeth to get any information or to get anything done. It's extremely frustrating. You are absolutely correct, you learn as you go. Very unfortunate. Best of luck.