PDA

View Full Version : Obsessing Over the Past?

BadMalibu
08-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Hey All-

I was just wondering if anyone obsesses over past life events and has trouble forgiving themselves for things they've done in the past? For instance I know who I am in todays world and I'm proud of who I've become, but my OCD will tell me "no you're not a good person. Look at "example X" and see what you did? That's not what a good or normal person does so no you're not a normal person and you should be ashamed of yourself."

What I've come up with is:

1. I'm trying to sabotage myself and my progress through life. If I'm not happy I have nothing to worry about.
2. I'm terrified of making the same mistakes over and over again.
3. I have problems forgiving myself.
4. I don't trust myself to make good decisions.

Does anyone else experience intrusive thoughts from the past??

OCDBub
08-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Hi BadMalibu,
Since you helped me on one of my posts I wanted to help out as well and let you know personally I have never experienced it myself but since I'm only a teenager I haven't done much yet. But similar I think I am a good person but thoughts pop up into my head that make me think I am not a good person. So I don't have thoughts of the past but once in a while I get thoughts and think, Why would I think that? Thank you for replying to my post once Again.

BadMalibu
08-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Ocdbub-

Thanks for your response! To touch on what you said, I think a lot I'd us doubt whether or not were good people because we tend to obsess over every thought and feeling we have. Why did I think that? What does it mean? Does everyone think that way? Does it mean I'm not normal or I'm a bad person? In reality I've learned that a lot of us are genuinely caring and sensitive people who just tend to let our thoughts run away with us. It can get annoying at times but in CBT they teach you how to self talk which really helps. Self talk meaning talking your way through what you're obsessing over.