PDA

View Full Version : It's even hard to describe this type of OCD

dude421
09-13-2015, 11:22 PM
This will be as stupid as it can be to other people, but I suffer from - going to the gym and doing exercises in a certain way, contracting and squeezing them at the top of the movement. I've been weight lifting for a few years now and this is the first thing I think about after I wake up for a year now. I've tried ignoring too as much as possible, trying to be happy, but it always comes back. I constantly believe, that something bad will happen, I will function in a bad way etc., and the worse part is that confronting this fear doesn't make it go away, still in the back of my mind I keep believing that something is actually off and keep tracing it back to this OCD.

BadMalibu
09-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Dude-

I don't think your obsession is silly and I don't think people on the board will think it's silly either. OCD can come in many different shapes and forms and people who have OCD can and will obsess over things that are considered to be mundane by other people. I was obsessing over light bulbs a few weeks back. Sounds silly doesn't it? Well it's not and really anyone, even people who don't have OCD, can obsess over things. It becomes a problem when it starts to interfere with your every day life. That's how you know you may need a light dose of medication and some cognitive behavioral therapy. Sounds like you may also be experiencing a bit of perfectionism which is actually a common trait for people who have OCD. If I don't do "X" perfect then I'm not perfect. Seems like in today's day and age were all supposed to be perfect with perfect bodies etc. It's hard not to think that way with the constant barrage of tv and magazine and internet advertisements telling us if we don't look a certain way then we're not perfect.