PDA

View Full Version : Possible colitis?

Valis
09-18-2015, 08:19 PM
I have had loose bowel movement for the last 4 months. I had thought is was due to my gall bladder removal years ago. When they roved my gall bladder I was given this powder to mix into water to help with the diaherrea and I thought I was having the same problem. Finally got into see the gastroenterologist and was tole the pain I was experiencing was not from that anymore. He thinks it could be an ibd, colitis. I went in for an endoscopy to see whynimwas having tenderness in my stomach and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and gastritis. He gave me a antacid along with a probiotic to help with the diaherrea. I'm now scheduled to have a colonoscopy. He still believes this is colitis and will confirm once he sees the intestines.

I've never had one of these procedures before. I'm nervous to find out what is causing this problem. If this is colitis, what kind of mediations do they give and how do people cope with this disease. As it is anything I eat goes right through me almost instantly, so going out or anything is uncomfortable especially if there is dinner involved. At times even water sets this condition off. Is colitis hereditary?

If its not colitis what cold this be?

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

anxiety mom
09-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Hi Valis, my son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis at age 15 and he is 22 now. His symptoms were blood and diarrhea. A colonoscopy with biopsy confirmed this. Don't worry about the colonoscopy.....it's a breeze....I just had my first one and I was petrified, but it was an easy thing to go through. As for my son, we have yet to find a medicine to work on him, so after 7 years of him being sick, he is thinking about surgery to have his colon removed. See what your doctor says.....maybe it's just IBS. If it is indeed Ulcerative Colitis, your doctor will give you what he thinks is the best medicine for you. He might start you off on pills or a biologic......all doctors are different....some want to start with a more mild treatment, some with a stronger one.....it depends how your colon looks. please write and post what the doctor said!! Good luck!!

anxiety mom
09-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Valis....I forgot to ask you in my last reply to you......How old are you? I am in my 50's and in peri-menopause and have many digestive issues that come along with that......when a woman's body starts to go through the change....many digestive issues occur.......and I also myself have major anxiety and stress (due to our son having colitis) and if for whatever reason you have stress and anxiety in your life that can cause stomach distress and diarrhea.....just wanted to mention that. As for going out, yes, it's hard when my son is in a flare, he does not want to venture out. Did the doc say you can take something for the diarrhea besides a probiotic?