PDA

View Full Version : Pushing on my teeth!! It's ruining me! HELP

bluetstar
10-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Hello there. My name is Danielle.
Please help me.

I was 19 when I suffered from a very severe incident. I am now 20, it has been only a few months since this has happened. I was at work and somehow my bottom tooth chipped a little. I freaked out and had my very first anxiety attack ( I am a very healthy young woman) I went home and it kept gnawing at me, the idea of my tooth being chipped. I then began to push my upper teeth to the bottom, eventually setting both of my bottom front teeth loose, where I had to get them pulled. I'm afraid I will do this again when I get implants ( I'm going through invisalign now) I'm also afraid to do this with the teeth just next to my former bottom teeth. I couldn't stop. When I was pushing on them all I kept saying was that I can't stop and cried constantly worrying about it but I kept going. My teeth have had a decent amount of cavaties in my life. This is all that I think about anymore.. The worry and the fear. It's so bad that I feel as if this is out of my control..

But please this is killing me I am not who I am. I used to be a VERY happy and positive person. How can I solve this??

BadMalibu
10-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Hi Danielle-

first let me say welcome to the boards I hope that you'll be able to find the support that you need here. The first thing that jumped out from me looking at your post was that you stated you had experienced a traumatic event a year or so ago. I would be willing to bet that this traumatic event had something to do with what is currently going on in your life. People with OCD will sometimes obsess over bodily harm which can be a common symptom and at times trichotillomania can also be associated with obsessive compulsive disorder.You stated that you were tired of the worry and the fear, and these are two very distinct symptoms that are associated with obsessive compulsive disorder. Worry. And fear. Doubt can also play a factor in obsessive compulsive thinking. I would recommend that you speak to your primary care physician who can assist you to find a licensed cognitive behavioral therapist in your area who will guide you through the process of learning to figure out where your OCD is coming from.

I truly believe that people who have OCD are responding to external stimulus within their environment. This could include traumatic events, the fear of traumatic events, fear in general, or feeling out of control whether it has to do with personal relationships, jobs, or something else going on in your life when you just don't feel in control.

The good news is there is hope for people with obsessive compulsive disorder. Currently, the most effective treatment is therapy in conjunction with medications.