PDA

View Full Version : Could this be something other than Scoliosis?

tenshichan
11-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forums here. And until these past few years, I never really questioned if I had Scoliosis... But with everything else accompanying it, I'm wondering if there is something else to this.

A little history about it January 1992, right after my 13th birthday, the school nurse, during their annual Scoliosis check, stated I had a mild case and gave me names of Orthos to give to my grandma. February 1992, I had my first appointment with my soon to be surgeon; I had a 4 and 5 degree S Curve. (Which I was told was unusual, because usually structural Scoliosis, the kind you're "born with", is generally a C curve. but every one is different.)
By April 1992, my Grandma was worried that I suddenly seemed much shorter, so she made a follow up. In 2 months I went from a 4 and 5 degree S Curve to a 45 and 50 degree S Curve. I wasn't over weight, and I wasn't an athlete.
Surgery was scheduled for his first available; July 1st, 1992. Trust me, a day I shan't soon forget, for many, many reasons.

The procedure itself was really intense; I was told I was on the table for 10 hours, and new machinery was tried on me. I ended up having full lamenectomies, T1 to L4 fused with Harrington Rods from T2 to L3. (There looks like other hardware in there too, on the Xrays, but that is the gist) Luckily, due to how fast the illness progressed, the rest of my skeleton didn't have time to "adapt". When people look at me, they can't tell I had Scoliosis, just that I have "amazing posture".

Things were fine for years, but as I aged, my back started hurting more and more. Xrays were showing that my spine wasn't as dense as it should be, and CTs showed that everything was going pear shaped. By my 30th birthday, L5 over S1 had slipped, all of my Cervical discs have herniated (Centrally diffused, they called it. Causing "central canal stenosis") there are Osteophytes at all the facet/nerve roots, and the neural foramen are all compressed. They've tried just about everything to manage the mind numbing pain; Selective Nerve Root Blocks, Facet Joint injections, Radio Frequency Nerve Ablation and a series of narcotics that should be enough to knock out an elephant, yet do little to nothing for the constant pain.

But the constant decline of my spine isn't even the weirdest part. Random parts of my body goes numb. There are times I can feel my pinky and thumb, but not the other 3 fingers. Parts of my skin have NO sensation at all. At the same time, the places I can feel, my brain isn't interpreting it right. Like air from a fan blowing on my skin will feel like water running down. A gentle touch will feel like a stab, etc.

Has any one ever had issues like these? Heard of anything like this? I'm tired of doctors just handing me pain killers with no answers. I'm only 36, I can't live my life on Morphine and Oxycontin..

Thanks!

Kt bug
01-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forums here. And until these past few years, I never really questioned if I had Scoliosis... But with everything else accompanying it, I'm wondering if there is something else to this.

A little history about it January 1992, right after my 13th birthday, the school nurse, during their annual Scoliosis check, stated I had a mild case and gave me names of Orthos to give to my grandma. February 1992, I had my first appointment with my soon to be surgeon; I had a 4 and 5 degree S Curve. (Which I was told was unusual, because usually structural Scoliosis, the kind you're "born with", is generally a C curve. but every one is different.)
By April 1992, my Grandma was worried that I suddenly seemed much shorter, so she made a follow up. In 2 months I went from a 4 and 5 degree S Curve to a 45 and 50 degree S Curve. I wasn't over weight, and I wasn't an athlete.
Surgery was scheduled for his first available; July 1st, 1992. Trust me, a day I shan't soon forget, for many, many reasons.

The procedure itself was really intense; I was told I was on the table for 10 hours, and new machinery was tried on me. I ended up having full lamenectomies, T1 to L4 fused with Harrington Rods from T2 to L3. (There looks like other hardware in there too, on the Xrays, but that is the gist) Luckily, due to how fast the illness progressed, the rest of my skeleton didn't have time to "adapt". When people look at me, they can't tell I had Scoliosis, just that I have "amazing posture".

Things were fine for years, but as I aged, my back started hurting more and more. Xrays were showing that my spine wasn't as dense as it should be, and CTs showed that everything was going pear shaped. By my 30th birthday, L5 over S1 had slipped, all of my Cervical discs have herniated (Centrally diffused, they called it. Causing "central canal stenosis") there are Osteophytes at all the facet/nerve roots, and the neural foramen are all compressed. They've tried just about everything to manage the mind numbing pain; Selective Nerve Root Blocks, Facet Joint injections, Radio Frequency Nerve Ablation and a series of narcotics that should be enough to knock out an elephant, yet do little to nothing for the constant pain.

But the constant decline of my spine isn't even the weirdest part. Random parts of my body goes numb. There are times I can feel my pinky and thumb, but not the other 3 fingers. Parts of my skin have NO sensation at all. At the same time, the places I can feel, my brain isn't interpreting it right. Like air from a fan blowing on my skin will feel like water running down. A gentle touch will feel like a stab, etc.

Has any one ever had issues like these? Heard of anything like this? I'm tired of doctors just handing me pain killers with no answers. I'm only 36, I can't live my life on Morphine and Oxycontin..

Thanks!

Omg i am sorry. Ive read 45 degrees is really bad im only at 22. Ive got pars defect and spondylolisthesis arthritis rib pain hop pain leg pain. But mine is more of hypersensitivity. The feeling of a tuch lasts too long. My leg and back and butt timgle in certain spotas only. Ive got pelvis tilt now. One thing i tell my doc is keep the pain killers and crazy meds. I want to know when i hurt so i can stop doing what is hurting me and they are what makes me crazy...... but yes it could be brain related i would do an mri of your brain for muscle sclerosis to find out. My mom has it. And she says the symptoms are different for eveyone.