PDA

View Full Version : HDL dropped from 86 to 58?!!! What the ... ???

chill2000
11-25-2015, 05:33 PM
I had a lipid test in Feb 2015, and the numbers were kinda bad:

Total cholesterol - 258

LDL - 156

triglycerides - 117

HDL - 86

After changing my lifestyle, diet, and improving a few things (adding vitamins & herbs like garlic, coQ10, fish oil, magnesium, and a women's over 40 multi-vitamin and mineral), I went the other day to have it rechecked, and here's the new numbers:

LDL - 117

HDL - 58

Triglycerides - 90

Total cholesterol - 93

My question is WHY did my GOOD HDL drop so significantly??!!!!!!!! I'm concerned because this is my protector against heart disease, so please help me understand what's going on?? I realize that the new test was much better, but with all the improvements, I would think the HDL would stay the same, definitely not drop almost 30 points?!!!

Please help me understand this? It's crazy! :-(

yackedar
11-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Hi chill2000

I calculate your recent Total Cholesterol to be 193mg/dl.
Typo?

Yack.

chill2000
11-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Hi chill2000

I calculate your recent Total Cholesterol to be 193mg/dl.
Typo?

Yack.

Ooooops yes typo, sorry. Yes! Total new number was 193. Any thoughts on why the hdl dropped so drastically? :(

yackedar
12-13-2015, 06:58 AM
Hi chill2000 and sorry for the delay in responding.

The drop in HDL is alarming as you rightly stated and is probably the worst case we have seen here.
Normally, a small drop in HDL can be expected when attempting to reduce cholesterol figures, but in your case, 32% is unusual.

Personally, I would go back to the starting line and re-start without any vitamin supplement intake whatsoever, but continue the lifestyle changes, which I personally believe is all that is required.

If any supplements are required just take 1000mg aged garlic and fish oil as Omega 3 EPA/DHA fatty acids at a ratio of 2:1 respectively, totalling 1000mg per day.

Check to see how much Omega-6 a day you are consuming.
Omega-3 is anti-inflammatory whereas Omega-6 is pro-inflammatory.
It's no good taking Omega-3 if the benefits of doing so are being outweighed by Omega-6.
The recommended intake for both 3 & 6 is at a 1:1 ratio.

Actually, your initial figures do not compute.
If the LDL, HDL and Trigs are correct, your TC works out to 265mg/dl and not 258mg/dl.
However, all the same, lipid figures on their own are basically meaningless for a ten year prediction of CHD. This is where lipid ratios are computed and referenced.

Your initial ratios are as follows:
Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio: 3.08 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
HDL/LDL ratio: 0.551 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.360 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

Now your latest ratios:
Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio: 3.33 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
HDL/LDL ratio: 0.496 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.552 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

As you can see, your ratios, although excellent, are worse than your initial ones. Slowly wean off all those unnecessary supplements to get your HDL to where it was, and as per the majority of your forum name, CHILL.

Yack.