PDA

View Full Version : Thoracic Levoscoliosis

4strings
01-07-2016, 09:26 AM
I am currently being evaluated for MS, but a recent x-ray of my back mentioned something odd and I figured I would pop over here for your opinions.

It was stated that I have a mild thoracic levoscoliosis. I don't have the report with me right at this time, though I can find it if need be for exact numbers. I should also mention that I am a 27 yo female who has been dealing with left leg weakness for over a year now. I have some other smaller issues, as well as evidence of scarring in my brain, which is why I am being considered as probable MS for the time being...but I was curious about this scoliosis.

I've had upper back x-rays in the past as a kid and it has never been mentioned, so I am assuming this is a new-ish occurrence. When I first looked up what thoracic levoscoliosis was, most sources on the net (and there aren't many) tell me that it can be cause for some concern as it is often found in conjunction with a mass or some such unpleasantness. I haven't had an MRI of the area yet, and my GP didn't comment is going to let my neurologist decide what to do. What do you all think? Is an MRI to investigate this warranted? I do have some pain/weird tightness on and off in the area. Has anyone here dealt with thoracic levoscoliosis or know someone who has?

(honestly, I'm sure this is of no consequence to my current issues, but what if it could be a cause for my walking problems?)

teteri66
01-08-2016, 06:58 AM
The leg weakness is a common sign of a spinal nerve compression in either the cervical or lumbar spine, but should not be caused by a thoracic issue. However, depending on the curve, it is likely you have addition things going on in other areas of the spine.

The thoracic spine is the most common place for a scoliosis. It usually results in a deformity of the rib case. One shoulder may be carried higher than the other one, and sometimes one leg is shorter. It can be caused by things like disc degeneration, spinal arthritis, etc.

I would think you might want to get a MRI of the cervical and lumbar spine to see if there are degenerative changes that may be contributing to your symptoms.

Read up in general on scoliosis. The "levo" just means the curve is going off to the left.