PDA

View Full Version : OCD with relationship

tg6789
01-07-2016, 09:03 PM
I have been having issues the past week or so with these negative thoughts intruding my mind then making my stomach begin to feel funny and I feel aches in my abdominal region. The negative thoughts are trying to convince me to end my relationship when I am dead set on staying with this girl forever. I even told her myself I would never leave her (well unless of course divine intervention or death occur). I really do love her and care about her but the negative thoughts and feelings have gotten to the point of me bursting into crying spells because I don't know what to do. I just got off Paxil 20mg a little over a week ago, and started taking wellbutrin. Tomorrow will be day 9 and I have been advised to just keep taking it because it will aid in the depression but I should try to find something for my OCD more specifically. Is there anything you can take with Wellbutrin or? I know it's best to consult my doctor but I just figured I would ask around the forums. Any help at all would be appreciated.:wave:

BadMalibu
01-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Hey tg-

You know a lot of people come to the board looking for the right type and dose of medication to cure their ocd, but in reality ocd is a chronic condition that can only be managed. However with the right type of medication and therapy, you can experience a symptom free life.

Generally the best type of medications prescribed by doctors and therapists fall into the SSRI category of drugs, which Wellbutrin does not. I do believe Wellbutrin acts on dopamine whereas an SSRI regulates the flow of serotonin in the brain. Generally people who have OCD respond well to SSRI medications when prescribed in conjunction with cognitive behavioral therapy. What you describe is commonly known in the ocd realm as rocd (relationship obsessive compulsive disorder).

Talk to a psychologist who works in conjunction with an MD or psychiatrist to see which medication will work well for you.

tg6789
01-10-2016, 06:24 PM
Thank you I kind of figured Wellbutrin may not be right for me when my ocd started to worsen. I can't seem to stop fixating on the issue and I know I love this girl and that I don't want to do anything rash I just want to be with her and I keep getting tormented by repetitive thoughts it's like my mom refers to as going round and round on the same subject with no solution.

BadMalibu
01-11-2016, 11:54 AM
tg-

No amount of medication, regardless of what type of medication it is, is going to take away every obsessive thought you have regarding your girlfriend, or any other obsessions you may be struggling with. Thatís what obsessional thoughts are; going round and round on the same subject with no solution.

Even if you think you have a solution to your obsessional thinking your OCD is going to find a way around it. If you have an irrational thought, no matter what it is (girlfriend, germs, etc) even if your conscious mind knows itís irrational and your conscious mind can work itís way through your obsessional irrational thoughts, OCD doesnít play nice in the sand box. Itís like the bully at your school. They call you names, you dispel the names, they find other ways and reasons to pick on you. No matter how you respond to the bully, the bully is always going to find another way to try to harm you.

OCD is irrational and doesnít respond to rational though or rational cognition. As an example, you love your girlfriend. Youíre happy with her. You know youíre happy with her. BUT, your OCD will not respond to your rational thoughts because your OCD is not rational to begin with. The more thought and energy you put into battling your OCD with rational though, the more your OCD will work itís way around your reasoning. You canít reason with OCD because OCD is not reasonable and itís not rational.

Make sure you follow up with your PCP and try to find a good CBT in your area who specializes in OCD and anxiety disorders.

tg6789
01-12-2016, 08:56 AM
While what you're saying makes perfect sense I do remember Paxil being effective in keeping my ocd at bay. I noticed it resurfacing when I was discontinuing it due to acid reflux being a bad side effect.

BadMalibu
01-12-2016, 09:38 AM
Tg-

Well sure, any amount of any type of SSRI is going to help but people respond differently to different types of medication. I tried Luvox years ago and while it helped with my checking compulsion it didn’t do anything to help with my anxiety. I’ve been on Zoloft for 20 years and it works pretty well, but I use it more as a mood stabilizer than I do for OCD. I know Luvox is the one main medication that is used for a lot of people who have OCD followed by Zoloft, Paxil, and Anafranil.

I’ve become so good at monitoring my medication that I know when it needs to be increased or decreased, and once you get to know how you respond to a medication, you’ll figure out which dose works best for you.

tg6789
01-12-2016, 08:13 PM
I really appreciate your advice in this. I will definitely ask my Psych about Luvox as I have a meeting with him in a couple of weeks. Until then im stuck taking Wellbutrin. However I have noticed that listening to my favorite music helps tremendously. It calms my ocd and makes me feel lighter. I also agree with the dosage thing but up until now I was reluctant to seek the proper help I needed and relied on physicians and PA's to deal with my medication which was a bad idea to begin with. A Psych put me on paxil and it did mostly well so I am returning to do what I should have done and get the help I need.

tg6789
01-13-2016, 01:30 PM
I have decided to get off of wellbutrin and return to paxil. I believe I have made a mistake getting off of it. I also understand mistakes are part of learning. I believe if I get back on it soon enough ill feel better. I appreciate all of the advice you have given. This board is very helpful with identifying issues and discussing them. :D

BadMalibu
01-14-2016, 07:37 AM
Tg-

Well just remember that ocd is not always about medications. Medications are very useful in taking the edge off and taking some of the symptoms away, but you’ll notice that sometimes the symptoms will return. I know a lot of people subscribe to the theory that ocd is purely chemical, but I really don’t buy that. In my opinon, the way we think affects our brain chemistry more than the other way around. Example? Think of putting a lemon in your mouth or munching on a delicious bag of salt and vinegar potato chips. You don’t actually have them in front of you, nor are you eating them, but I bet your started salivating. I know I did!!

That being said, I’m not saying that in ever case of ocd that brain chemistry and chemicals are not a contributing factor, but I do believe the majority of us “learn” ocd consciously and subconsciously as a way to distract ourselves and protect ourselves from fear and harm and emotional pain. If you focus all the time on making sure everything in your kitchen cabinets is straight, you don’t have to think about what’s really bothering you. In essence, ocd is a painful distraction, a way our subconscious tries to keep our minds so occupied that we can think of nothing else but our obsessions and compulsions.

One of the best things you can do to help yourself is work on, and master “self talk.” Ask your psychiatrist or psychologist about it!!