PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice

AliRieg
01-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Thank you all in advance.
I'm writing about my mother. She is 75 years old and suffers from post-polio syndrome and COPD. She is also an alcoholic.
Almost 3 years ago now she was very ill, with a significantly damaged liver. She was told to quit drinking or die. She quit. And every day since has complained and raged about having to quit and the only reason she did was for her grandchildren and daughters. About a month ago we discovered she had started to drink again. She doesn't know that we know and has been doing a very good job hiding it. She continues to talk about not drinking for her family. At this point we haven't confronted her because we are hoping that if she has to hide it she will ultimately have to drink less. We know this is a bandage solution, but are afraid that if she knew we knew she would just say screw it and go back to drinking 24/7 like she did in the past.
My mom has had a tough life and although she did stop for awhile never accepted that she needed to stop. She honestly feels her life is "less" without alcohol even though we have travelled extensively in the past 3 years and were only able to because she was sober.
I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking here, I guess just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle this sad situation.

trader78
01-15-2016, 04:37 PM
How much was she drinking before and how much now? Does she get her liver tested still? My father drank most of his life. He was an alcoholic who drank vodka. I think he quit for a couple of years, then got prostate cancer, then began drinking wine. He drank until he died at 80, but it was the cancer that eventually caused his death. In your mother's case, it is possible perhaps that her liver has healed somewhat, and the restricted amount is better than a full-blown binge. It's tough situation all around.