PDA

View Full Version : Leg pain from Statins persists after taking it

lilj456
01-24-2016, 11:07 AM
I have leg pain in the morning, which began when I started taking Statins.
It was so severe when I was taking the pills that I couldn't even get up from a chair and during my Statin ingestion I experienced Bursitis in one hip and sciatica in the other. Those problems have since gone away since I stopped taking the pills. I have hereditary cholesterol, so my attempts at lowering my very high cholesterol basically haven't worked. The pain is in my hips when I sleep. I've been told I do not metabolize statins well and that is my problem. The question I have is there anything I can take to stop the ongoing pains in my legs and hips?

tess201
01-25-2016, 04:15 AM
It takes awhile for the side effects from Statins to abate. How long has it been since you stopped taking them?

What pain meds are you currently taking? Are you looking for alternative supplements?

Tess

lilj456
01-25-2016, 12:02 PM
Hi Tess,
I have been taking Bergamot for about half a year at my doctor's suggestion, but it hasn't lowered my overall cholesterol, just brought up my HDL, which is great. I don't think my cholesterol will come down without a statin. The doc also suggested Zetia, and it gives me pain too. Then I tried taking a third of a Crestor Mon, Wed, Fri recently, about 2 weeks ago, and had the usual painful experience as when I took the full pills. I stopped everything but thought since it was such a little bit that it would be okay. I am now just on Bergamot and Phytosterols. But I'm still not feeling alright. I take Co-Q 10, which I've heard helps the pain, but it does not work for me. I eat a vegan diet, exercise about 4x a week, and try to stay away from sugar and fats. But without a statin, my numbers are always the same.

Cholesterol 278
LDL 182
HDL 80
Tri 80
non-HDL198
VDL-C 16

tess201
01-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Hi,

Did your doc ever bother figuring your ratios? I just did and all your numbers are below the value they look for, which is good! Cardiologists always push statins, even as a prophylactic, which is a hideous practice. You, of course, will have to decide whether or not you will forego the Statins. If I had these numbers I wouldn't. But before you decide I would highly recommend you do a lot of research and not just with the CDC or medical establishment sites. You could also take some alternative supplements that would likely lower your LDL. Your HDL is stellar! If you are interested in this there are many messages here explaining what to take. Let me know if you can't locate them. I also know some good alternative pain supplements.

All the best,

Tess