PDA

View Full Version : IBS with rapid heart rate that won't quit - help?

bjjmom
03-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Here is my story: In January I was placed on antibiotics for bronchitis. I ended up having to take a Zpac for 5 days, then ammoxicillan 875mg for 10 days and then biaxin for 10 days before the bronchitis was gone. Just about the time I was finishing up the biaxin I started having trouble with my stomach. Severe tightness in my stomach that caused chest pain as well as pain between my shoulder blades and pain under my rib cage that wrapped all around me. I was also experiencing rapid heart rate for no apparent reason which I think was causing me anxiety. Unable to eat much of anything at all I made an appointment to see my gastroenterologist. He put me on Bentyl (to stop my stomach and intestinal spasms), Align probiotic and Gas X. My stomach is starting to feel a little better but doc says it will take a good 2 weeks before I feel good. Unfortunately my rapid heart rate has not stopped. I pretty much have this rapid heart rate all day. It is exhausting me. It is also terrifying me to the point that I don't want to be alone. A few weeks ago I went to the emergency room because I was so terrified over this rapid heart rate. I had blood work, chest xray, chest CT (checking for blood clots) and a stress test. All results were normal. I am currently waiting in the results of a 48 holter monitor which I did last week. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I thought that maybe the rapid heart rate was a result of perimenopause but I saw my gynocologist today and she feels certain that my rapid heart rate is due to my stomach not having the proper balance of bacteria. Any help is appreciated.

Worrybucket
03-19-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm thinking this is familiar. I'm under a cardiologist for repetitive palpitations. I think it's peri menopause and IBS causing mine. I'm about to have a calcium ct scan this coming week. As holter monitors can't catch much at all.

Seraph
03-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Have you had your thyroid checked? These symptoms can indicate hyperthyroid activity. Sera

bjjmom
03-19-2016, 05:16 PM
I was informed this past week that there is an issue with my thyroid. Levels are off and something about my ratio being off. I have an appointment on 3.23.16 with my gynocologist to find out the details of my blood work. I assume that I will then be referred to a endocronologist. I hope they figure this out soon. My anxiety is really bad right now. Between my gastritis, thyroid and uterine fibroid tumors that will also be addresed on my appointment this coming week, I am a mess. Praying for some answers and relief.

Worrybucket
03-20-2016, 12:38 AM
My thyroid blood work was normal. So not that with me.

bjjmom
03-21-2016, 03:39 PM
I am glad to hear that your blood work came back normal for your thyroid. I just hope that whoever ordered the blood work had all of the necessary things checked. I had blood work done on Feb 9th at my gyno docs office. That blood work came back abnormal on my thyroid. Then on Feb 20th I ended up at the ER for my stomach issues and a rapid heart rate. The hospital did blood work to check my thyroid and said it was normal. Then on March 7th I had more blood work done at my gyno office after making at appointment to see a gyno who specializes in peri menopause and menopause. I had previously just been seeing a midwife. The blood work again came back abnormal on my thyroid. My gyno doc feels that the hospital didn't check all that needs to be checked in order to get a true result. Apparently there are several items that relate to the thyroid that must be checked in order to determine if there is a problem. You may want to find out from your doctor exactly what type of blood work was ordered and what was checked regarding your thyroid. I am glad that my gyno doc did the full blown blood work on my thyroid. At least I know now that many of the issues I am having may be directly related to my thyroid problem. I am seeing an endocrinologist next month to find out what needs to be done to get my thyroid working correctly.