PDA

View Full Version : 5 year post MI ... My best numbers Ldl is 41.

Heathj720
03-25-2016, 09:27 PM
Hello everyone!!
Just wanted to share my current numbers. Very clean diet, mostly greens and usually chicken once a week. Under 15 grams saturated fats daily. Lots of nuts.
Supplements: 2000mg omega a day and garlic.
Meds: Crestor 10mg 4-5x a week

HDL. 32
LDL. 41
VLDL. 18
TRI. 89
Total. 91

Thoughts? Thanks!!

JohnR41
05-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Hello everyone!!
Just wanted to share my current numbers. Very clean diet, mostly greens and usually chicken once a week. Under 15 grams saturated fats daily. Lots of nuts.
Supplements: 2000mg omega a day and garlic.
Meds: Crestor 10mg 4-5x a week

HDL. 32
LDL. 41
VLDL. 18
TRI. 89
Total. 91

Thoughts? Thanks!!

I assume you know the risks of cholesterol lowering drugs. Risks for Crestor include diabetes, confusion and memory loss, liver problems, and/or severe muscle breakdown.

Can't you lower your cholesterol enough with lifestyle changes? Your diet doesn't seem bad at all but could something be missing? Do you eat beans? Maybe greens are not enough. I wonder what exactly do you eat on the average day. Do you eat any whole grains? It seems like something is missing.

What were your numbers before Crestor?

yackedar
05-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Hi HeathJ720 and welcome to the board.

Thoughts?.......Yes, so here are a few.

As you are well aware, continued elevation of LDL and Triglyceride cholesterol levels (Hypercholesterolemia) may lead to hardening of the arteries and heart disease which left untreated can lead to a Stroke and/or heart attack.

Low cholesterol levels (Hypocholesterolemia) on the other hand may lead to Cancer, Hemorrhagic stroke, Depression, Anxiety, Memory ailments and in men, sexual dysfunction.

The human body including the brain requires cholesterol to function. What may be too much cholesterol for one person, maybe the requirement of another.

Your diet looks good.
Your Cholesterol figures individually, look bad (excluding the Triglycerides).

I'm very surprised that your GP has not picked up on the unusually low HDL lipid figure.

Your lipid ratios are:
TC/HDL 2.8
LDL/HDL 1.28
Tri/HDL 2.78

Two are desirable whilst one is normal (Tri/HDL).

However, your high density lipoprotein of 32mg/dl places you in the HIGH risk category for future heart disease, with the lipoprotein particles, both LDL and HDL more likely to be small and dense.

If I was in your shoes I would:
Attempt to increase my HDL and LDL by ~50%, attempting to change the lipoproteins structure to large and buoyant.
Even with an elevated LDL, if the particles are large and buoyant (pattern A) they tend to be fairly harmless. i.e.: Pattern A LDL particles are usually not associated with an increased likelihood of atherosclerosis.

I would also continue your current diet, including the Omega-3 and garlic and either reduce your statin dose to 5mg daily or cut them out altogether.
Either way, after three months, have a further test and fine tune from there.

Try to raise your HDL to at least 45mg/dl.

Yack.