PDA

View Full Version : Dad has an esophageal stricture and keeps needing to throw up his food. Need advice.

cw4
04-17-2016, 05:41 AM
For the past couple of years my dad has been getting bad hiccups sometimes when he eats and over the last year or so it gets so bad that he has to force himself to vomit because the food won't go all the way down. His doctor thought he had a hiatal hernia but when they did an endoscopy on him in January they found out he had a stricture in his esophagus. They did an esophageal widening procedure on him during the endoscopy and that helped for a while but he's back to getting the hiccups and needing to throw up his food again. Have any of you had this condition and successfully treated it? How did you fix the problem once and for all? Any advice is appreciated.

sukeenie
05-24-2016, 02:09 PM
I had the same surgery done in February for esophageal stricture. Food was getting stuck in my throat, acid in my throat, hiccups, a lot of belching, and a feeling of a lump in my throat. After surgery, it was better. Now I'm having those same symptoms again. My doctor told me that I will more than likely have to repeat this surgery which sucks because I was in a lot of pain when I woke up. I don't want to keep having this done.

rrminnyc
05-28-2016, 11:33 AM
I had a widening done a couple of years ago and the doctor told me there was no guarantee that it would "last." That is, he might have to do it again. Your dad probably needs to go back to the doctor and see if they need to do it again. Sucks...but it's 1000x better than the alternative. I absolutely hated the feeling I got when I could feel stuff getting stuck. One time it took about 5 hours to eventually go away. Scary stuff.

So yeah, he probably needs it again.