PDA

View Full Version : LDL 179; Non HDL 190; Total 270; HDL 80; Triglycerides 57 - Your views on my results?

Machaon
05-19-2016, 03:02 PM
I just got my cholesterol results, which are very similar to the results that I got six months ago. While my LDL and Total Cholesterol are higher than recommended I feel that my great HDL and Triglyceride levels fully balance out the negative cholesterol.

I eat eight extra large whole eggs, along with a bunch of extra virgin olive oil, every day. My cholesterol results give me the confidence to continue my eight egg diet.

However, it could be helpful to get views from others who also have cholesterol concerns.

wellnowwhat
05-19-2016, 06:58 PM
May I ask, do you just really like eggs....or, is it because of the vast amount of nutrition an egg offers.

I also do not see a problem with your numbers.

Ben

Machaon
05-19-2016, 09:39 PM
May I ask, do you just really like eggs....or, is it because of the vast amount of nutrition an egg offers.

I love eggs. I also love the vast amount of nutrition. I love the fact that I can eat eight eggs without having to deal with uric acid or gas or bloating.

I am a diet controlled, type 2 diabetic with Insulin Resistance. I don't take diabetes meds. Because of this, I have to severely limit my simple carbs. I have to also limit my complex, high fiber carbs because of gas and bloating. So... what's left? Protein! :)

I can't eat any more carbs. I eat 4 oz of Tilapia, twice a week. I can't eat any more fish or meat, because of uric acid, so what's left? EGGS! :)

Even with eight eggs per day, my six meal per day, 1500 calorie diet, keeps me at a mere 120 pounds, for a 5' 9" body. Skinny and scrawny, but with muscle tone, due to weight lifting.

I also do not see a problem with your numbers.

Ben

Thanks! I really expected to get yelled at. Tis nice to learn that someone agrees with me!

Thanks for your response. Best of health and luck! :wave:

yackedar
05-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Hi Machaon,

It's a long time since you posted on this board, but welcome back.

With an HDL of 80mg/dl and Tri's of 57, you really have no worries whatsoever, as your ratios show below:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.38 - (preferably < 5.0, ideally < 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.447 - (preferably > 0.3, ideally > 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.688 - (preferably < 4, ideally < 2) IDEAL

I would bet the last two remaining hairs on my head, that both your HDL and LDL particle sizes are large and buoyant, meaning that even with your LDL of 179, little or no plaque has accumulated in your arteries. But this will only be the case for as long as your HDL and Triglycerides have been at an optimal level.

If I was in your shoes, stick exactly to the lifestyle you have, to maintain your cholesterol levels.

Yack.

Machaon
05-21-2016, 09:01 AM
Hi Machaon,

It's a long time since you posted on this board, but welcome back.

Thanks for the welcome back! I looked back. Only one post since 2012.

My LDL has been within range for a long time, but my last two readings have been above range, 166 and 179, so I returned to this board, with the hopes of getting opinions of more knowledgeable members, and fully expecting negative comments and warnings.

With an HDL of 80mg/dl and Tri's of 57, you really have no worries whatsoever, as your ratios show below:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.38 - (preferably < 5.0, ideally < 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.447 - (preferably > 0.3, ideally > 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.688 - (preferably < 4, ideally < 2) IDEAL

So... what you are saying is that the ratios of "good" to "bad" are of much more significance than the actual "bad" levels. I hope that you are right!

My doctor looked at my cholesterol levels, from the test six months ago, and suggested that I go on Statins. I disagreed with him and he then agreed with me. Had me scratching my head! :dizzy: I go again this Tuesday to discuss these latest test results, plus others.

I would bet the last two remaining hairs on my head, that both your HDL and LDL particle sizes are large and buoyant, meaning that even with your LDL of 179, little or no plaque has accumulated in your arteries. But this will only be the case for as long as your HDL and Triglycerides have been at an optimal level.

Thanks! This is great feedback, and explanation. Greatly appreciated!

If I was in your shoes, stick exactly to the lifestyle you have, to maintain your cholesterol levels.

Yack.

Thanks again. I plan to stick with my diet. It seems to be working, except for the higher LDL. I expected opinions that my LDL was too high and I need to cut back. So far, so good! :)

yackedar
05-21-2016, 10:53 AM
LDL is what the medical profession lead us to believe is the bad lipoprotein, and HDL the good lipoprotein.

Here's a little info for you:

Besides lousy diets, lack of exercise and hypercholesterolemia, the root cause of elevated cholesterol levels is inflammation, caused by household chemicals, toxins, exhaust fumes and anything else inhaled or absorbed through the skin,.....other than oxygen of course.
If you live in a city, town, road side residence, and/or industrial area then you are absorbing more toxins than those living in a remote rural location.

The bodies defence (defense, in the USA) mechanism kicks in by producing more LDL cholesterol to collect the particles of toxins etc. which are damaging the endothelium layer of the arteries. Unfortunately, the damaged areas accumulate a build up of plaque if too much LDL is dispatched to that damaged area for protection purposes, and where there is not enough HDL cholesterol available to mop up the excess LDL. This results in the build up of blood pressure to force the blood past the now 'blob/s' of plaque. Further damage to the arteries continues until the inevitable happens.

Initially 'scratch damage' to the arterial walls occurs (The higher the blood pressure, the worse the damage). The supposedly bad cholesterol (LDL) is dispatched to the damaged area to repair and prevent further serious damage such as perforation of the damaged artery. (Normally plaque builds up on artery junctions or bends).

Continuing inflammation circulated by high blood pressure 'scrapes' the plaque LDL build up which now also contains toxins, calcium, iron and all sorts of chemicals, which determine if the plaque build up is hard or soft. Plaque continues to build up.......and so on, and so on....... eventually leading to Angina, or worse, a heart attack, or even death.

Address inflammation and your cholesterol levels should stabilise naturally.........But this cannot be achieved solely by lifestyle, exercise and diet changes.

Then address the higher than normal cholesterel levels.

Remember, it is not the individual lipid figures that are important here.
It is the ratios of those figures.

ie: LDL and/or Trigs maybe elevated but are fairly harmless if the HDL is high. (the HDL particles are probably large and buoyant.)

Here is a little information that will help in combatting inflammation.

It would be beneficial for you to research and note which foods and liquids that you consume contain Omega 6. Difficult task, but one that should be undertaken.
Once you have determined this figure on a weekly basis, then do the same with the intake of Omega 3 fatty acids. (EPA & DHA)
You will probably find the ratio between the two as being >10:1 (omega6 to 3)

Your target is to obtain a ratio as close to 1:1 as possible.
Why?

Omega 6 is PRO-inflammatory
Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory.

Yack.

Machaon
11-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Latest results: LDL 236; Non HDL 248; Total 322; HDL 74; Triglycerides 62, VLDL 12.

I don't smoke. Don't drink alcohol. Eat about 1400 calories per day, divided into six meals. The increase in my cholesterol proves to me that dietary cholesterol, in the form of eight eggs per day, does indeed raise cholesterol numbers in the body.

I've been lifting two ten pound hand weights each night for many years. I do 250 lifts, 250 curls, 250 inside curls and 140 side lifts every night along with 600 knee bends and 30 minutes of power walking; each and every day for years.

I'm 72 dealing with Heart Failure with both atriums severely enlarged; permanent Atrial Fibrillation; and mild to moderate problems with my Mitral, Tricuspid and Pulmonic valves.

Despite my major health problems, I feel more like a healthy 50 year old rather than an ailing 72 year old.

I am a concerned about the increase in both Total Cholesterol and LDL; but my low triglycerides and excellent HDL and low VLDL convince me to stay the course and see if the numbers stabilize next time or go higher.

Any comments?