PDA

View Full Version : GERD (?) and burping/gassy belly (long, sorry)

rrminnyc
05-28-2016, 11:25 AM
My first post here and I'm sorry it's so long...but I have a ton of questions.

First, some (hopefully brief) backstory.

I was diagnosed with GERD about 2 years ago. I had zero symptoms before I visited my Gastro except that I was having difficulty with food getting stuck. He did the endoscopy and found that I had Schatski's rings...the cause of which, could be lots of things I learned later, but not necessarily GERD. Everything else about the endo was fine...stomach, esophagus, and upper intestines. So far so good. FWIW, my colonoscopy was great too.

Immediately following the endo I had a lot of heartburn so the doc prescribed omeprazole and he called what I was then experiencing, GERD.

All that to say, after a few bouts with flare ups in those two years, I've looked online to find out that GERD isn't diagnosed necessarily by an endoscopy. And Schatzski's isn't necessarily caused by reflux. So my first question is whether I have GERD or not at all. I've been taking omeprazole on and off since he prescribed it and do okay off of it until the reflux flares up again. Any by "flare up" I mean occasionally I'll have a week or so bout with heartburn, or burping trouble where I can't burp, or a lump in my throat. Once again I go back on the meds and things "get better," rinse, and repeat.

So my first question is: how do I really know if I have GERD? Reading recently about reflux being caused by low stomach acid (arguable, I know), but I'm 56 and probably have lower acid because of my age, I'd never had heartburn trouble before, and now with omeprazole and that endo, things have gone haywire. So I'm also suspicious that the endo caused some of this.

The next question is more recent and the real reason I'm posting.

About 3 weeks ago I woke up unable to burp. I had gas in my belly gurgling to get out, but I couldn't get it out. It evened out later that day, but since then my belly has been gurgly and the inability to burp pops up here and there. I've taken simethicone and it seems to help, (my doctor told me to take that in addition to doubling my omeprazole from 20mg to 40mg per day)...but I don't know think the simethicone is doing anything to "fix" the problem...which I don't know what that is.

I am a vegetarian. I eat well, and recently I've been doing nothing but oatmeal, no dairy except for the occasional greek yogurt, no alcohol (or smoking), and soups like sweet potato and squash with some spinach and potatoes thrown in..stuff like that. No meat. No crap. No sodas. I've also started doing a TBSP of ACV twice a day with organic honey, along with coconut oil and aloe throughout the day. Simethicone only if really needed. I'm only taking my regular 20mg dose of omeprazole right now and thinking about getting off of it completely.

So, while I have zero pain anywhere except for a slight burning sensation in my chest as usual for reflux, my BMs are completely fine and finely colored, and my energy is good, no blood anywhere...I still can't seem to get my belly back into a non-gurgling, non-gassy state. Pretty much everything I put into my mouth solicits a burp or a series of burps...even water. Last night I had dinner (soup) and it was fine, but later on I had some hummus and it took me about 20 minutes to finally get a burp out.

So, is this a GERD issue? or a stomach/digestive issue? What causes burps to get trapped?

Another bit of the puzzle is that I also exercise and I fear I've injured myself doing "core" work. But I don't have a lot of the hiatal hernia symptoms except for the burping.

I have talked with my doctor on this and he just says to take omeprazole and simethicone. He says the inability to burp is nothing to be afraid of. But he doesn't explain why my stomach is so gassy in the first place.

I would like to be able to eat without fearing the chance that I won't be able to burp for an hour...I'm starting to have a complex about eating at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all responses!