PDA

View Full Version : B12 Questions

adam2000
05-31-2016, 07:41 AM
Hi There,

I had recent labs done, my B12 was 316 (I guess 'normal' showed as 200-1400 or something like that). My doctor decided to put me on shots of B12 since he said its too low. So i have to take 1 shot a day for 5 days, then once a week for a month, then once a month.

Does this sound like alot to anyone? Will this jack up my RBC stats? Will I notice a difference? :)

Thanks for the input :)
Adam

JohnR41
05-31-2016, 08:48 AM
This is unbelievable. The normal range, after checking online, is 200 to 900. So if you're in the normal range, why is your doctor going all out with the plan you mentioned above? What's the big rush? Do you have some horrible symptoms you're dealing with? Is there more to this story that we don't know about?

I once asked a pharmacist about the safety of large doses of B12 and she said large doses can put other B vitamins out of balance. That was contrary to what my doctor had said, but she had a recent study to back it up. I think the study was published in the journal of the American Medical Association.

Also, I had read about this over a decade ago, so it wasn't the first time I had heard about it.

adam2000
05-31-2016, 10:15 AM
I guess my levels have been steadily declining based on my last few blood tests. I looked closer at the lab results I have, there is actually a * there with a statement that between 200-400 up to 10% of patients can start experiencing symptoms even though that is still technically in range. Looking back I have been quite lethargic and depressed for the last 6 months or so, i'm wondering if that may have been the cause. I guess the only way to find out is to see how i respond over the coming weeks...