PDA

View Full Version : vein phobia

mamafrisk
05-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Yeah, mine isn't a full-blown phobia, but veins have always made me feel ill. I have found that my main issue is they seem so fragile and are so close to the skin surface. Veins in the feet in particular make me anxious that if someone stepped on them they'll rupture.
Having had three c-sections now, everybody laughs when I say the iv was one of the worst parts each time. It's not even necessarily that it hurts (which it does), but that you can feel the pain inside the vein. And because I'm already overly sensitive about it, having it in for days afterward is horrible... any movement you can feel it tugging on the vein. Just makes me grit my teeth and gives me shivers, ugh.
Breathing deeply and trying to focus elsewhere helps. Definitely don't look at it haha
Also blood being drawn is pretty bad too. First them getting the needle in, but then every time they switch out the tubes it moves so violently :( that definitely is helped by breathing and/or talking to the technician to get your mind off it. I usually just tell them I don't like needles and they understand. I'm sure they deal with that a lot in their profession :)
Saying out loud "that wasn't so bad" and making a joke out of it gets my nerves to calm down, too.

Scourge
10-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Same. I get REALLY squeamish just thinking about veins. Whenever I see a rubber band around I wrist a lose it. Well at least I am not the only one.

Katchantler
12-13-2015, 03:52 PM
I have the exact same problem and it sounds just as extreme . I know this was posted a few years ago but I have this problem . When I was a new born I was found with an elestic band around my arm, my arm was purple I almost lost it . I feel maybe that trauma caused this anxiety? I have extreme anxiety right now(and other issues I was being treated for but my psychiatrist screwed up my medicated , drugged me up and I haven't heard or seen from her sense so I haven't really talked to anyone about this besides my boyfriend) but when I was little the only thing that freaked my out were my veins . Can't have a ponytail on my wirst, shoes that dig into my ankles freak my out and set me into a panic (the same as what you've described) tight sleeves don't work for me . I'm about 6 weeks pregnant so my veins are popping out more then usual and I'm having these crazy panic attacks because my blood volume is slowly increasing (you almost hold double the blood towards the end of your pregnancy). There are people out there like you. Your the only person I know of that has this issue like me but your not alone . Hopefully you found a way to deal with it. Im trying meditation , telling myself that my body is healthy and my veins, and arteries are doing there job supplying my body with life. It seems to an extent. The extreme panic attacks, shortness in breath me constant worry is just to much. Did you ever find an effective way to deal with your anxiety?

Emmagrant78
03-17-2016, 06:50 PM
I get very scared and extremely anxious when I think of veins. I have wanted to be a nurse since I was a young girl and this fear has stopped me from achieving my goals. I am now trying to apply to university to become a registered nurse, my boyfriend has said if I see veins enough I will get used to them, but the thought of looking at them makes my arms curl in. I can not speak of veins and straighten my arms. I really want to get over this fear. It is irrational and I wish I could just find a way to get to the point where I could at least acknowledge that it is irrational so that I can finally start to see past the fear, but I can not even think about them being present in my body. I feel so scared that I start to stop my hand movements to stop my veins from moving when I think of them. I am trying my best to rationalise this fear and try to subject myself to uncomfortable images. But I need a way to try and get this silly fear under control.

AHHHHLIFE
05-15-2016, 10:54 PM
I have the same problem I have no idea what it is caused by and I have had it my whole life no one I know has these same difficulties I have stuggled with this forever, if I see someone touching their veins , hear them talking about their veins, or me accidently brushing passed my veins I flip out!! And when I shave I can't even shave the bottom of my legs cause I'm afraid that I might reach a vein or behind my legs and go over a vein I'd just die!!! I can barely talk about !! Ughhh, I just can't help but want to crawl out of my own skin it weirds me out so bad and it's not the blood or anything I just can't can't them veins!! The other day I had a blood drive at school , and I was all willing and didn't even think about the veins and I have no fear of needles or blood but after awhile I noticed that I had to have them touch my views and I back out real quick ! I just don't know if their even is help out there for this

nicoleanonymous
07-11-2016, 02:27 AM
I have never been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I've got a phobia of veins, wrists or elbows. Whenever I'm thinking about them, I start to hyperventilate. I always sleep in a position that covers my wrists and stomach with other body parts.
Recently, a friend of mine showed me this "cool thing" she found on the internet. It was to see if I had this tendon thing. I touched my fingers together and bent my hand- AND THEN SHE TRIED TO TOUCH MY WRIST! I yelped so loudly, nearly 20 people must have looked!