PDA

View Full Version : What does this sound like???

RatedRKO16
07-16-2016, 01:50 AM
Hey guys. I've seen md's, chiropractors, massage therapists and now am seeing a functional med dr and they can't figure this out. I'm set to get a colonoscopy (dr is calling me monday to schedule) but in the meantime would like to get to the bottom of this so I can start fixing the problem with diet if possible.

Some background - at 17 I was diagnosed with anxiety/ocd/depression and put on Valium. In January of this year I finally got off of it and started having digestive problems (or realizing I had digestive problems). I think the Valium was masking this issue and it probably started at 17. My anxiety really amps up when my stomach is bothering me and I have very little anxiety when it's calm, that's why I think this is the case.

As it stands, I am down to only bland foods that are relatively safe - apples, oatmeal, broccoli, chicken breast, chicken broth, carrots, and celery. Occasionally I'm able to eat an avocado and a very small amount of dark chocolate without issue. What happens when I eat something else is my stomach starts rumbling, my chest gets tight, my neck gets tight, it gets hard to breathe, and I feel tension only on my right side. I have actually tried tensing up my left side by flexing with little success of moving the tension over. It's causing me to tense up on the right side in the middle of the night as well. Most of this sounds like anxiety, which it is, it's just being caused by foods and they seem to be more acidic ones. I can't figure out why it's just the right side though. That may not be an important part of this. It definitely seems like an inflammatory response as well.

I've researched myself and came up with possible ideas such as histamine intolerance, leaky gut and possibly an ulcer, but I don't have all the symptoms and a lot of symptoms overlap into others that I can't quite figure out. I don't really have stomach pain and I'm either constipated or have diarrhea, very rarely is my stool "normal". I have insomnia as of now, but this is mostly caused by the physical pain in my body that is occurring. I've had a food sensitivities test done and found I am sensitive to dairy and gluten, which I was never before (Crohn's?). Supplements are a no go as they bother my stomach. Ginger was the only one that didn't, but tonight I took some and it did bother me (stomach rumbling, inflammation/tension down right side, anxiety). So, it's been really hard to heal my gut as you can tell when you can't take supplements such as probiotics and having negative reactions to so many gut healing foods.

Can anybody, somebody, please point me in a direction? Does this sound like histamine? Crohn's? Leaky gut? Ulcer? Something else?

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

RatedRKO16
07-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to post more information about myself? I'm sorry if this isn't enough.

crabfestbaby
07-17-2016, 10:03 AM
After reading your story, you sound a bit like me, I have said that before to other posters. I say that because the one common element that I share with you and the other posters I relate to is anxiety and panic. Not saying it is all in our heads but I think we make ourselves sick. A little background, I had an "attack" of pain that sent me to the ER in January after eating a burger. Heartburn that felt like a heart attack, in hospital for a week, ruled out heart, said it was my stomach, go home and see a gastro dr. Ok, then could only tolerate foods like oatmeal, crackers, peanut butter, chicken soup and WATERMELON. Watermelon has been my source of keeping hydrated and it somehow coats my stomach. I ate like that till April and then felt better, started eating kind of normal for a week and then got sick again, back to that bland diet until June, felt better while on vacation so ate pancakes, ham subs and was ok again for a week, now I am sick again and back to the bland diet. Had the HIDA scan, blood tests and sonograms and even though I seem to have gallbladder symptoms they can't find anything wrong with me. Now after I try to eat kind of normal, I get inflammation in my insides so I know something is wrong, I live on a RX of Sucralfate and it helps me to eat and stay out of the hospital. Not sure if any of this helps you but maybe something rings the same for you? Sometimes I am constipated and then will have diarrhea but no normal stools, it is weird. So either our stress is making us sick or being sick makes us stressed out? But when the doctors can't find a physical cause it makes you wonder. The doctors did find gastritis when I had my school but they said that is not the cause of my symptoms, having gastritis is like saying someone has a stomach ache, they can't find a cause. Frustrating. I am due for a colonoscopy and I see you are going to have one. Maybe they will find something? Can you remember what you were doing or eating when you started having problems? Was it a meal or was this something that has been coming on for a long time and just got to the point that you can't deal with it?

Tote756
07-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Maybe GERD, A sliding hiatal hernia, or IBS? But it may be your gall bladder since you stated its only on your right side.

rainbowsrock
07-18-2016, 03:08 AM
I agree. Gallbladder maybe Gastritis

Stress can cause real symptoms. Hope you get the anxiety under control

RatedRKO16
07-18-2016, 11:08 AM
After reading your story, you sound a bit like me, I have said that before to other posters. I say that because the one common element that I share with you and the other posters I relate to is anxiety and panic. Not saying it is all in our heads but I think we make ourselves sick. A little background, I had an "attack" of pain that sent me to the ER in January after eating a burger. Heartburn that felt like a heart attack, in hospital for a week, ruled out heart, said it was my stomach, go home and see a gastro dr. Ok, then could only tolerate foods like oatmeal, crackers, peanut butter, chicken soup and WATERMELON. Watermelon has been my source of keeping hydrated and it somehow coats my stomach. I ate like that till April and then felt better, started eating kind of normal for a week and then got sick again, back to that bland diet until June, felt better while on vacation so ate pancakes, ham subs and was ok again for a week, now I am sick again and back to the bland diet. Had the HIDA scan, blood tests and sonograms and even though I seem to have gallbladder symptoms they can't find anything wrong with me. Now after I try to eat kind of normal, I get inflammation in my insides so I know something is wrong, I live on a RX of Sucralfate and it helps me to eat and stay out of the hospital. Not sure if any of this helps you but maybe something rings the same for you? Sometimes I am constipated and then will have diarrhea but no normal stools, it is weird. So either our stress is making us sick or being sick makes us stressed out? But when the doctors can't find a physical cause it makes you wonder. The doctors did find gastritis when I had my school but they said that is not the cause of my symptoms, having gastritis is like saying someone has a stomach ache, they can't find a cause. Frustrating. I am due for a colonoscopy and I see you are going to have one. Maybe they will find something? Can you remember what you were doing or eating when you started having problems? Was it a meal or was this something that has been coming on for a long time and just got to the point that you can't deal with it?

I've often wondered if it was the stress causing symptoms or the symptoms causing stress, but when I eat really strictly I lose a lot of the symptoms. Problem is, my strict is eliminating so many foods that I can't get the proper nutrition I need to survive!

Mine came on very slowly, probably in the past 3-4 years. I eat something that doesn't agree with me (for whatever reason) and as it goes through my system I can physically feel my right arm/leg start puffing. It feels like the blood is pumping harder on that side and my left doesn't get the same attention. It goes away/lessens after a bowel movement, so I know mine has to be related somewhat.

RatedRKO16
07-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Maybe GERD, A sliding hiatal hernia, or IBS? But it may be your gall bladder since you stated its only on your right side.

I agree. Gallbladder maybe Gastritis

Stress can cause real symptoms. Hope you get the anxiety under control

The gallbladder makes sense in that I relate to a lot of the issues of low stomach acid. My right side in the area seems a bit inflamed, but I haven't had pain besides a few days ago when I ate a pizza, then my right side hurt a ton. Wouldn't I be having pain on the right side daily if this was it? The inflammation does spread through the right side of my body, but I meant my arm and leg more than anywhere in the abdomen.

RatedRKO16
07-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Should a colonoscopy give me the information I need if it was a gall bladder issue, ulcer or leaky gut?

rainbowsrock
07-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Upper endoscopy helps diagnose ulcers reflux hernias (camera down the oesophagus)
Maybe a colonoscopy could detect leaky gut, not sure about that
The gallbladder is under the right ribs, and the pain was worse than childbirth and lasted many hours with me, it also went around the back too. Mine was diagnosed by ultrasound scan. I did have good days and bad days...it wasn't every day

The stomach is under the left ribs, and the duodenum. And gastritis produces pain there and bloating and nausea

The lower abdomen is where the gut is and food gets processed...people with IBS suffer pain and bowel movements can be affected

RatedRKO16
07-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Hmm. I'm not really having pain, definitely not as much pain as you described.

It's just I eat, then my stomach gets uncomfortable somewhere along the line and my body decides to pump a lot more blood to my right side. The only way I'm able to make it stop is by having a bowel movement. If I don't eat, I'm fine. It's very strange. On top of it I'm having a lot of anxiety, so I'm tensing up and because my right side is getting all this extra blood/nutrition, I'm tensing up even more on that side. The tension is so much greater on that side. It makes me walk really funny and my right arm just feels like a club.

Nobody can figure it out. I'm getting scared, because it's not my imagination and a lot of doctors are implying it is or just want to call it IBS and send me on my way. :(

RatedRKO16
07-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area. Liver, perhaps? Could be enzymes or bile related?