PDA

View Full Version : cholesterol, energy levels, supplements and statins

Dottydog
08-01-2016, 02:34 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm 50 years old and I've been on statins for a long time, probably 15 years. All the male side of my family have a history of heart disease and even with dietary changes my HDL is low and my LDL is high - on statins it is acceptable.
I decided a long time ago that my energy levels were not the same as my peers, particularly when exercising, it actually became a bit of a joke with my training partner at how I started yawning within a few minutes of our workouts starting. This was when I was on Lipitor and I moved through the statins getting the same results and I am now on Crestor which seemed better (as I could take a lower dose for a decent result) but my weight has steadily increased to an unacceptable level as my persistent fatigue and in particular my energy loss at the gym and when walking fast with my dogs has taken its toll. My last full blood screen showed I am now pre-diabetic so I really need to get back to a good weight and get a grip on the energy fluctuations I have and the cravings for high energy food and the low energy when exercising.
My question is this. My doctor is set against stopping statins but I don't want to head into a new decade with these energy levels so I would be really interested to hear how people get on with supplements - particularly CoQ10, NAC and PQQ, as I've seen the VitaPulse presentation that puts these forward, particularly for statin takers over 45.
Essentially I want the lowered LDL I get from statins but I also want to boost my HDL and my energy levels.
Any advice on supplementation?

tess201
08-01-2016, 04:13 AM
You probably don't have your pre-statin labs but it would have been interesting to see them prior to starting down the statin rode as a great many people are put on these drugs when unnecessary. If you will read through the posts here you will see that this is often the case. I, and many others, have had high levels due to hereditary factors. I am now in the low-risk category and have never taken a statin. You can do the research, but likely many of your symptoms are due to the side-effects of these drugs.

If you wish to try supplementation you wouldn't know if they are working unless you first stop the statins. I doubt your doc would be in favor of this but here are a few suggestions since you asked:

A low carb diet would benefit you greatly and also help boost your energy levels.

NAC and COQ10 are good to continue

Make sure your Vit. D level isn't low. A D-3 supplement along with K-2 (taken in the evening) will help if it is low.

To lower your LDL - Nature's Plus Red Yeast Rice. Take two in the evening.

To raise your HDL - Flush Niacin works great (it will also help your LDL) but you have to start very slow and ramp up slowly (use a pill splitter if necessary). You want a little flush but not so much that you are uncomfortable. Eventually, the flush will subside so that you can gradually increase your dose.

Omega 3 for your Triglycerides

There are also supplements to lower your glucose level, if interested (you mentioned you were pre-diabetic).

All the best,

Tess

Dottydog
08-01-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your reply.
I think you make some very important points and I am already now committed to reducing my carb intake, which I know is too high. Red Yeast Rice is quite tricky to get in the UK but I now take an Omega 3 every day and have returned to Q10 and will get a fresh supply of Niacin tomorrow - again I was having issues with it here in the UK as I could only find a very low dose and to get to a decent dose I was having to buy a lot and take a lot of tablets but that was a few years ago so I'll have another look - and try online too.
I have dug out my first set of bloods and the statin has indeed lowered my LDL well (halved it) and therefore brought the ratio down - HDL is virtually unchanged and serum cholesterol is reduced.
My doctor wants to me to reduce my carbs (when we first started it was all fats fats fats) and come back in 6 months for another set of bloods and another discussion about fatigue, bearing in mind I will hopefully be lighter. I think I will try these supplements and dietary changes, get some weight off and if my fatigue is still an issue I'll have to insist on a similar time on a statin break - 6 months - and see how things go.
Thanks for your input, it really helps to throw a few ideas about :-)