PDA

View Full Version : Fecal incontinence.

Geriberri
09-20-2016, 11:39 PM
Hi
Does anyone else have constant diarrhea 🙁? It started shortly after I had my gall bladder removed. I mentioned it to my surgeon, PCP and get the same answer, " that's a side effect". I guess they have never had an accident in the middle of Walmart! Some times it just comes out without the "have to go now" feeling. Sometimes I get the feeling and before I can get to the bathroom or heaven forbid have to find a bathroom😥. I try to go out and do things, I have been wearing Depends. They help some, but since their intended for pee, they don't exactly work. Does anyone wear something the may work better? I have worn "diapers" so long I could scream!!

Maltese12
09-21-2016, 04:56 AM
Hi there! Frequent urgent bowel movements and/or diarrhea is a not uncommon side effect of gallbladder removal. Some people say it tends to settle down within a few months of surgery but it never did for me. Talk to your doctors about a prescription for a bile acid sequestrant. There are several. I take Welchol and it has given me back my life. Before starting on it, I knew where every bathroom was wherever I went and many times I came close to having an accident, particularly if I went out right after breakfast. Best wishes.

STLouisgal
09-21-2016, 02:07 PM
I also have problems with loose bowels (was severe diarrhea before that). But mine is from a different organ removal procedure, hysterectomy. :( It's been going on for 10 years!

I had thought about trying a bile acid sequestrant but didn't end up going that route. I used psyllium husk (e.g. Metamucil) for awhile which pretty much addressed the issue by "bulking up" my BM's. But I quit using it since it's not as easy as "popping a pill." I switched to taking a probiotic the last 2+ months and that has helped quite a bit. I'm hoping that it has a curative effect on whatever was causing the loose bowels such that I don't have to take it forever!